1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin’s, Rubinacci – Offi

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. golfinz

golfinz Well-Known Member

@Leaves is it possible to order the manolo x sko shoe in a uk5.5? I have the first collaboration and it's one of my favorites. This one is just as wonderful!

2. Dieg0

Dieg0 Well-Known Member

I think you are mistaken, if you look at the way shoes are made, I think StC stands much closer to the artisanal/bespoke tradition, whereas EG is very nice but there is nothing artisanal anymore in them. I think about the shoes of EG not being 100% leather (the stiff parts are in some kind of fused canvas/plastic) it could be StC uses different layers of leathers for the stiff part of the shoe, EG has cork pasta filling, whereas StC uses cork pages (will hold better in time). StC are hand welted >>>> machine welted. There are even other details, but I lack the vocabulary and translation programs suck most of the time once you need specific words.

3. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

I'm not ruling it out but we have no immediate plans for restock as we ordered a very large batch for this colab.

4. ecwy

ecwy Well-Known Member

What about EB compared to StC since both are hand welted? Genuinely curious on whether the price difference is worth it.

5. golfinz

golfinz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick reply! If you rule it in, consider a size 5.5 sold

6. Dieg0

Dieg0 Well-Known Member

Very good question: I can't comment, since I don't know how they proceed, their methods etc and also don't know anyone knowing that :)
    StC seems to carry more styles, perhaps Skoab will be able to confirm that StC can make anything you want, whereas EB wouldn't if it isn't in their catalog, I think of the split toe derby where the splitting comes very high on the vamp. (this one https://www.pinterest.com/pin/186547609535406192/ )

7. Skell6009

Skell6009 Well-Known Member

Some recent Enzo Bonafe pickups from SkoAB. They're both breathtakingly beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also want to thank @ecwy for the pics he posted a while back comparing the 363 MOD last to Carmina Rain. They are definitely a bit wider in the same size, which allows me to wear the shell boots with boot socks.

4 people like this.
  8. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

^ Dayum those boots are awesome!

9. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Those 804 lasted captoes, though!!!!!

10. ecwy

ecwy Well-Known Member

Always happy to help [​IMG]

Enzo Bonafe shell seems "cleaner" than my Carmina ones.

11. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

From my perspective if you have to ask then more than likely it probably wouldn't be worth it to you because generally speaking most of the differences at this price point tend to be rather visual in nature. I think you'll find both of these shoemakers both do a real good job when it comes to construction and quality of work. So really what's left will be the Last, the quality of the leather, the finishing and all these elements tend to be rather visual.

12. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Well-Known Member

Re: Bonafé vs. StC, can Leaves or anyone else comment on recrafting for each --- process and cost? I've read some comments on StC relasting vs. resoling that left me confused. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  13. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

to tie onto that, maybe they can post options and general pricing for recrafting of all shoe brands that Skoaktiebolaget carries. That would be a good reference for us all to have.

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

M

Just email the store and they will gladly respond with all of this. Most stores don't make a habit of plastering all of their prices for everyone to see. I have been provided a full St.C, EG, G&G price list as I'm sure many others have as well.

15. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

of course. that makes perfect sense, but I figured that the recraft cost would be set prices for each brand.

16. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Well-Known Member

Green croc St. C's Chelsea boot GMTO...

[​IMG]

on a Carmina note, if I am normally 10UK Rain, would it be advisable to size up to 10.5UK for the suede string loafers--or would they stretch a bit because they're unlined?

17. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Whoa, those are some seriously nice looking boots!!

18. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

I wear the same size in all Carmina. My experience (not that of others) is that Rain is a medium-to-narrow width. I recommend against sizing up.

19. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

The seams on the StC croc chelsea are very unattractive, imo. Just screams cost-cutting.

Those EB shell boots, though..

20. Tichoblanco

Tichoblanco Active Member

Would anyone be interested in the following makeup as a GMTO through Skoaktiebolaget:

Model: Austerity Brogue

Leather: Brown Museum Calf

Last: Rain

Sole: Leather (single, double, or double with thinner midsole)