1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin’s, Rubinacci – Offi

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Correct @Markwilo13

2. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

photos of the new shop?

3. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

The Thorpes in dark oak are stellar. You have shared a lot of wisdom in your post, Roger.

I would add that Edward Green made a mistake by altering their Nevis pattern. Previously, the Nevis featured an additional pair of eyelets (or speed hooks)- 8 in total. Updating the Nevis pattern and reducing lacings to 7 changed its proportions. The Thorpe's shape vaguely resembles the old Nevis in its proportions btw.

Old Nevis for comparison / reference:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. boduletes

boduletes Member

The space itself to me is very much in line with the offering: extremely clean, to some extent very classic, and as in the product photos, very good lighting. It is basically perfect composition, I would say a must visit if you can.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Indoor photography is tricky, we have not been able to capture the essence of the store yet, we're gonna have a pro snap some shots. Also, we are applying some finishing touches. I'm not 100% satisfied with the ladder solution yet, and we need to find an art piece behind the counter. It's a big space to fill up!
    Thank you, very kind words.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  6. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Would be fun to have a client provide their story and experiences. :D

7. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A sneak peek.

7 people like this.
  8. Skoaktiebolaget

Skoaktiebolaget Well-Known Member

Two MTO's from Saint Crispin's for New Years eve:

Saint Crispin's Butterfly Loafer in Patent Leather
    [​IMG]

Saint Crispins 534 in Black Calf Leather
    [​IMG]

Enjoy! [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

Now tell us, which one will be worn before and which one after midnight?

2 people like this.
  10. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

My firm's holiday party is on the 6th, and my girlfriend's is on the 15th, and I can say with no equivocation I'm more excited for Skoak's [​IMG]

11. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Well broken in polo suede for the day...
    These boots are like slippers.
    (Side note: Polo suede is the Ravello/Color 4 of suede for sure)

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  12. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Well-Known Member

^ Buddy of mine at work has those and every time I see them I'm jealous. Great boots.

13. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Wish all you guys could be here!

1 person likes this.
  14. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Well-Known Member

Reselling my (unworn) pair if anyone is interested. Didn't get the size right. 10.5 UK

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  15. computingboy91

computingboy91 Well-Known Member

I like the perspective and clarity of the new product pictures. If there is a way to incorporate the warmer feeling of the current style, that'd be a win-win! The current style has more of character, I'd argue- I can spot a skoak product picture from a mile away.

16. Jay Primo

Jay Primo Active Member

rolling steps would look much better and less of a safety issue in the shop IMO. nice work though :)

17. lartiste

lartiste Well-Known Member

considering a purchase of twelveth pair of shoes with skoak this year, should I wait for new designer? [​IMG]

@Leaves can you just mention whether the price range shall be under Bonafé or above Bonafé?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  18. TOBestWR

TOBestWR Active Member

Received the email from Skoak for the Enzo hunter boots GMTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

19. rbhan12

rbhan12 Well-Known Member

I'm not Leaves, but I'm betting it'll be a high-end maker. I think with the departure of EG and addition of CS, adding another higher end option makes sense.

In the interest of playing the guessing game and helping narrow things down, when I asked what goes into deciding what shoe companies to stock, I was told Skoak stocks shoemakers, not shoe brands. To put it more clearly, the shoemakers stocked at Skoak own their respective factories/workshops.

So with that in mind, and specifically European makers that can handle volume orders in a timely manner from Skoak, I'm thinking along the lines of Lobb or Corthay. That being said, I think Corthay might be a little flamboyant for Skoak, and JL may be a bit boring? I don't know many other high-end companies that own their own factory and can keep up with projected volume from Skoak.

I think it's very safe to rule out Bemer and Meccariello. Sometime back someone said there's a C&J retail shop like 100 meters from Skoak's old store, so I'm going to rule them out as well. Alfred Sargent is a possibility, though perhaps too much design overlap with GG and similar price range to EB; a firm maybe on AS. I'll give the return of EG 1:1000 odds. I'll rule out Alden because US clients would probably be more likely to buy Alden in the US than from Skoak (also not a high end maker in my opinion). Zonkey Boot might ruffle the feathers of StC--probably wouldn't happen.

More guesses?!

20. aristoi bcn

aristoi bcn Well-Known Member

There is a british (G&G), an italian (Enzo Bonafé), a spanish (Carmina), a portuguese (Carlos Santos) and an hungarian (Saint Crispin's).

Once the japanese is discarded I bet for one american or french. (JMWeston?)