1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Sketching a bespoke boot.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dkzzzz, Jun 8, 2007.

1. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Well-Known Member

Is this too military? Please advise.

P.S. I should have mentioned it, I am not plannning to wear this boot with suits. Wool pants in an Autumn yes, jeans yes, sport jackets yes.
    I am planing to have it made on semi-round traditional English last with double sole.

2. CoryB

CoryB Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it is too military, but it isn't for suits. I think casual it would look great.

Are you planning on getting this made hence the paint drawing?

3. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

It's a fine looking boot. A hundred years ago most men wore a boot similar to that pictured with their suits.

4. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

it's fine for your intended purposes. Looks like something tricker's would do. hopefully with better stitching....

5. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Well-Known Member

it's fine for your intended purposes. Looks like something tricker's would do. hopefully with better stitching....

I was thinking to stay away from Tricker's aesthetics. Although that sketch does remind Trickers boots a little.
    I don't like 360 stitiching that Trickers employ and also their heels and soles are way too heavy and clunky looking.
    I want to built a classic boot that i could wear with number of different pants and jackets without looking like I just came from a barn.

6. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

I was thinking to stay away from Tricker's aesthetics. Although that sketch does remind Trickers boots a little.
    I don't like 360 stitiching that Trickers employ and also their heels and soles are way too heavy and clunky looking.
    I want to built a classic boot that i could wear with number of different pants and jackets without looking like I just came from a barn.

I really like it, but I do have to say when I first looked at your sketch I thought, "this is right up Trickers' alley."

7. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

I don't think they look too military but they may look a little too barn-ready for what it sounds like you want.

Granted I'm not a boot guy but why don't you just go with a plain-toed pair of chukkas or chelseas?

8. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

What you want is a full brogue derby boot but with a short wingtip cap. Every shoemaker will have this one in his repertoire. Here is one that Materna in Vienna has made for me. (Change the toe cap and it will be pretty close to your design.)

[​IMG]

Another derby boot, made by Vass and owned by forum member jcusey. (Again, just change the toe cap.)

[​IMG]

9. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Well-Known Member

I don't think they look too military but they may look a little too barn-ready for what it sounds like you want.

Granted I'm not a boot guy but why don't you just go with a plain-toed pair of chukkas or chelseas?

Next I am sketching a pare of bespoke chelsea boots. [​IMG]

<<bengal-stripe>> Thank you for the pics. Very helpfull. I guess my sketch is not different at all from most brogue boots.;( It's hard to invent a bicycle[​IMG] I like Materna much better than VASS. Vass is too pointy looking. I would have gone with captoe on VASS instead of wingtip, in order to reduce that pointy look.
    I considered Materna and I will check them out in a few weeks in Vienna, but I am afraid I don't want to pay their price (around 600EU). I much rather go with Martegani on my Bespoke.

10. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

Next I am sketching a pare of bespoke chelsea boots. [​IMG]

<<bengal-stripe>> Thank you for the pics. Very helpfull. I guess my sketch is not different at all from most brogue boots.;( It's hard to invent a bycicle[​IMG] I like Materna much better than VASS. Vass is too pointy looking. I would have gone with captoe on VASS instead of wingtip, in order to reduce that pointy look.
    I considered Materna and I will check them out in a few weeks in Vienna, but I am afraid I don't want to pay their price (around 600EU). I much rather go with Martegani on my Bespoke.

?

These are all pretty standard designs - any particular reason for the "sketching?"

Who can afford bespoke shoes but can't spell pair?

11. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Well-Known Member

?

These are all pretty standard designs - any particular reason for the "sketching?"

Who can afford bespoke shoes but can't spell pair?

Pair and pare are interchangable just like fat and phat. You are not up-an-up on a street talk? [​IMG]

12. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

I considered Materna and I will check them out in a few weeks in Vienna, but I am afraid I don't want to pay their price (around 600EU).
    When you're in Vienna, you might want to check out Maftei (they should be within your EUR 600 budget).
    Member "˜fritzl' has used their services and should be able to give you more information.

http://www.massschuhe-maftei.at/content/default.asp

13. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Well-Known Member

Behold my latest masterpiece.

14. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

a chelsea with a medallion sounds interesting, but the rest look very Trickerish if that's what you are trying to avoid. How about a 100% balmoral boot with a double sole? I rarely ever see those even here.

15. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Well-Known Member

a chelsea with a medallion sounds interesting, but the rest look very Trickerish if that's what you are trying to avoid. How about a 100% balmoral boot with a double sole? I rarely ever see those even here.

You mean like this or without brougeing at all?

16. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

yeah like that, maybe no punchwork at all? or maybe i am talking out of my ass [​IMG]

This was posted at another forum a few months ago.

[​IMG]

17. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Well-Known Member

NICE!
    I'll think about it. (saving pic to harddrive).

18. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

When you're in Vienna, you might want to check out Maftei (they should be within your EUR 600 budget).
    Member "˜fritzl' has used their services and should be able to give you more information.

http://www.massschuhe-maftei.at/content/default.asp

Maftei is always worth a visit. I think they can beat the € 600,- budget. Materna for sure not.

PS: Your Materna boots are great.