• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have problems.
My understanding too was that the new system doesn't indicate when a mod has edited, but I could be wrong. Imo, it's a good idea to have a line saying "post deleted by mod" too.
Earlier someone wrote that he thought mods report all action here. I certainly don't do that. I only respond to questions here. But like mordecai, if I edit or delete posts by someone else, I pm the person (except spammers or double-posts, of course). That happens maybe once every other week. Usually I don't edit rude posts myself but just pm the person and ask that him/her to edit the post. That happens very rarely, like once a month and usually it's been reported by several other members. I think that's all standard policy.
Not that I can recall. Although, I do sometimes change "alot" to "a lot." There's no such word as "alot," people!
While I'm ranting, American English usually puts the comma and period within the quotation marks, as above.
Of course, I'm sure I make mistakes at times, and I would love to be corrected. I don't want to be a bad example to the chidrenz.

Would you check that, please? I thought that punctuation goes inside the quotation mark when you are quoting dialogue but outside the marks when you are using the quotations to identify a word rather than use it for its meaning, e.g. "I am referring to the word 'word'." I don't recall a specific source and I may be wrong, but that is what I do.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not that I can recall. Although, once or twice, I've changed "alot" to "a lot." There's no such word as "alot," people!
While I'm ranting, American English usually puts the comma and period within the quotation marks, as above.
Of course, I'm sure I make mistakes at times, and I would love to be corrected. I don't want to be a bad example to the chidrenz.

i c what u did there :)

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score

Can I have my post deleted from WAYWRN so I don't have to see it in my Threads You've Posted In... thing?
Thanks.

better yet, why not have 'My Posts' be a direct link to 'All Posts' on your profile...? I hate seeing MC WAYWT pop up, despite me not posting frequently (or other threads I just posted in once a long time ago). I mean, there already is a 'I've posted' option in the 'Forums' dropdown menu so the 'My Posts' is obviated anyway. Why must we go through so many hoops to have a chronological order of our posts?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Can I have my post deleted from WAYWRN so I don't have to see it in my Threads You've Posted In... thing?
Thanks.

Can we just have all of Ed's posts deleted already?

emptym

Reaction score

Would you check that, please? I thought that punctuation goes inside the quotation mark when you are quoting dialogue but outside the marks when you are using the quotations to identify a word rather than use it for its meaning, e.g. "I am referring to the word 'word'." I don't recall a specific source and I may be wrong, but that is what I do.

Sure.

Fwiw, from the 1973 edition of Turabian, 3:107:
In American usage, with quotation marks, a final comma or period always goes inside (i.e., before the closing quotation mark), whether it is part of the quoted matter or not. Question marks and exclamation points go inside if they are part of the quoted matter, outside if they pertain to the entire sentence of which the quotation is a part. Semicolons and colons go outside the quotation marks, as part of the sentence containing the quotation. (If the quoted passage ends with a semicolon or a colon in the original, the mark would normally be changed to a period or a comma to accord with the structure of the main sentence.)

The "always," above, is italicized in Turabian. Emphasis was not added. However, 3:108 adds the exception you mentioned:
In fields where it is the practice to use single quotation marks to set off special terms, a period or comma follows the closing quotation mark:

Some contemporary theologians were proclaiming the 'death of God'.

But in the following title of an article which includes the title of another article, the period is correctly placed within the title of another article, the period is correctly placed within the closing quotation marks, both single and double:

The article to which he refered is in the Journal of Political Economy: "Comment on 'How to make a Burden of the Pubic Debt.'"
5:10 makes the same point:
In some fields -- linguistics, theology -- it is accepted practice to use single quotation marks to set off words and concepts being discussed:

kami 'hair, beard'
The variables of quantification, 'something', 'nothing', . . .
So it looks like periods and commas can go outside of quotation marks in some fields when mentioning technical terms. I couldn't find any other exceptions in Turabian. But iirc, there are others, and that's why I wrote that the commas and periods "usually" go inside quotation marks.
Would love to hear from anyone more knowledgeable too. A month ago, I turned in the final draft of a 300 page manuscript, in which I always placed the periods and commas w/in the quotation marks. The press follows Chicago style, so they may send it back with some of those marks reversed.
i c what u did there :)

Then you see more than what I see.
Thanks.

You've only posted once in WAYWRN? If so, I'll delete it; if not, I won't.

Last edited:

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
What if you end a question with a quote? I hesitate to put the question mark inside the quotes because I don't want it to seem as if the quote had a question mark but it looks strange seeing punctuation outside the quotes to me.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You've only posted once in WAYWRN? If so, I'll delete it; if not, I won't.

Yes, and thanks.

Let's just delete Ed altogether.

Takes one to know one.

BTW, I wish I could "plus one" all of epmtym's comments in the plus one section. Or whatever that thing is called.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Who is a moderator I can contact here with a fast answer?

Thanks

/ C

PM any of them. fok, J or emptym. they all have quick response times ime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads