1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Site Topics - Part II

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, Feb 4, 2010.

1. j

j Well-Known Member

Great in theory, but I think a nightmare to police in practice.

How about this - Mutually Assured Destruction. Butthurt people can time out anyone they feel is picking on them, but they will have to take the same timeout of their account and IP range(s). Circumvention earns permaban.

2. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

We need to form IRL gangs. Then have a dance-off. That should solve all of our problems here and in life.

3. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

j, since you are here, please make my custom title "unbannable" :)

pls dont ban me.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

Its a great point. butthurt people staggering out of a dive bar is not a good thing

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Too easy to game. The Cabal, as an example, could take turns banning the same person so he is effectively perma-banned.

6. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Nobody will want the status and Special Flower tag. I think the only difficulty will be the complaints the mods get from people who whine too much and don't like being told that they have therefore been designated Special Flowers. Then the whining will stop.

7. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

Not at all. I stuck around this forum for people like you. I think it is pretty common to outgrow MC and start exploring other areas of the forum. You add as much quality with food discussions as did the heavyweights in MC. Quality is quality, regardless of topic. We need more like you in all areas of the forum.

The forum just grew. Even if the number of quality posters actually has increased (it probably hasn't), the percentage has decreased with the surge in non-quality posters. The forum is a victim of its own success.

8. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

Maybe i'll give CE another try. the biggest problems I had (besides the snark), were a) people who were not interested in discussion, but just wanted to win an argument at any cost; and b) people who assumed they knew what you thought and replied on that basis, without having read your actual comments. that and the zero-to-60 nature of some of the comments, where a mild disagreement automatically escalated to nuclear response, made it a very unpleasant place, at least for this fragile flower.

9. Piobaire

Us 0-60 types need your type to slow us down. Come back.

10. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I will say to you in public what I am sure I have said to you in private.
    I am rarely the target of the attacks you got, so I can't pretend to know how I would feel in your place, but you should know that just because someone says something stupid or nasty, doesn't mean it has any impact or meaning. The overwhelming majority of the audience, both posters and lurkers knows the difference between knowledge and crap. When you right a thoughtful, considered post, it is read and considered. People may agree or disagree and you may even have an impact on someon'e thinking. When nameback or javyn post, it is generally just smoke in the air. Some people may respond or engage, but most people know to just move on. It isn't nice to read someone like wanderer's comments about you, but, ultimately, they don't really mean anything. What you say stands on its own and when you advance a discussion, it is advanced, regardless of the garbage others may spew in your wake.
    As I have often advised my daughter who, as a seventh grade girl, has to deal with a lot worse than you: Illegitimi non carborundum

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  11. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

+[a large number]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  12. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever interacted with you over the years. I have no personal beef or history. But you know what? Shut up. The above type of post is what hurts this forum. Non-quality post. Just shut-up about your history of banishment. Nobody cares. That's the kind of shit that hurts this forum. It's inane. It's not witty. It adds nothing. I've probably read hundreds of posts from you about your history here. Just stop or put it into dumb threads, but stop clogging the threads I want to read with references to your past.

4 people like this.
  13. j

j Well-Known Member

Things go in cycles. I don't think MC is doomed, but I don't think it is perfect. Conditions there are obviously inhospitable to some people we would prefer to have stay, even at the expense of thousands of non-quality posters. The solutions are not obvious but we are discussing options and implementing some things immediately. One of the things is to get all the mods up to speed and on the same page in terms of the moderating attitude we prefer here, and how to handle being both a mod and a regular person. Another is getting the Dubiously Honored clear on how their privileges work, and encouraging them to use them in self-moderated threads that will stay as on topic as the starter desires. Personally, I don't care if you kick out everyone else in your whole thread, for the record, as long as you're not any more of a dick about it than necessary.

I would prefer the forum be more autonomous zones than micromanaged, but we may need to give more people access to better tools to maintain cleaner common areas (such as the ability to merge repetitive noob threads into mega 'ask a question' threads), and to establish a little more clear control/expectations over some threads/forums. I think establishing more 'trusted areas' where people feel free to share, not with a sycophantic chorus, but also not subject to a bunch of hectoring detractors, will encourage some valuable people to come back and contribute like they used to.

There are lots of other technical things we are pushing for, but some of this we can start doing immediately.

14. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

When people go off all serious and reactionary in DT, I like how Teacher will say " You know this is Dumb Threads don't you?"

It is such a simple calming reply that is usually quite effective.

2 people like this.
  15. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

On the technical side, can you implement an easy way to search for a poster's posts within a particular thread? Like when you click on the number of posts in a thread and get a screen showing how many times each poster has posted, you could click on their name and number and get a link to the particular posts (like a search result screen).

16. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Or . . . I could jst try it and see that it had already been implemented. Thanks for reading my mind.

17. j

j Well-Known Member

You are welcome. We try.

18. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Ask yourself how well you would be able to mod hallway conversations in an inner city Jr High? This ain't Stand By Me.

I do agree with a comment on this page about how occasionally it can be very funny, but its not worth the risk of ridicule or humiliation. I'm sure I'm older than most of the posters, so I don't relate well to the prankish cool kids 'say things a certain way' embrace the absurd crap. I'm pretty tolerant and thought I had something to add but I was mistaken and don't plan to return regardless of how cleaned up it gets. The reason is, as Teacher put best "you do realize this is DUMB THREADS don't you?", which succinctly explains the circular logic in trying to police something clearly dumb to begin with.

For example, you're at a shit college frat party, are you going to walk around with a roll of Bounty and wipe up beer spills and tell people to stop hazing, keep the stair rail clear, don't let that guy in that almost started a fight last month? You'd be the asshole in a sea of assholes.

You've got a thankless task, and I wouldn't want it personally, but your question merits serious consideration. I wish members in this conversation who want to keep it would answer seriously but as you can see the bullshit spilled in here, starting with Pio's post which I will comment on separately.

IMO the best way to save the village is to burn it down. Fok and J, close down DT, it's bad for your long terms goals.

19. Piobaire

Btw, it's "Piob." Rhymes with "weed."

20. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

wouldn't rhyme with weeb?