1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Site Topics - Part II

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, Feb 4, 2010.

1. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

Quiet Mar-Bear. The man contributes beautiful pictures of women's bodies while you, on the other hand, do not. Thus, he is a more valuable asset to the forum than you are.

my poasts are worth less than infrequent photos of fat girls??

[​IMG]!

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Plus a bajillion. Heavily-moderated forums stagnate and die. Period. Forums like this sometimes have to put up with a lot of stupidity and bullshit. But it's worth it. And if you don't like that you can go live in North Fucking Korea, ya goddamn commie.
    People keep saying this as if it were a self-evident truth. It's not. There are plenty of very active, strictly-moderated forums. I have noticed that they tend not to have DT forums.
    ms is one of those people who have to be getting under someone's skin because the reaction proves that attention is being paid, they're not just the anonymous losers they seem in RL. Mike is one of those guys who some days doesn't seem to have much skin to get under (to paraphrase a joke about journalists: they don't have thin skins, they have no skins). I'm sincerely hoping Mike cools off and comes back and is able to have a little more perspective. MS, i don't really care whether he does or not. As for the tight moderation argument ... i've been on forums with tight, intrusive moderation and they end up imploding. with strong moderation, there'd be nothing for us to talk about but lapels and pleats.
    As with many things, yes and no. There is a fine balance to be struck between being killjoys and letting animals run the zoo. Some forums are *very* tightly regulated (see the fashionspot.com) and registration is even closed, and they seem to do well. On the other hand, other forums die. There is not a one size fit all model of moderation. With that said, I consider Manton to be a valuable contributor. Metro, let's just say he brings energy, but he needs occasional timeouts. And yes, families are strictly off limits.

3. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    Sorry, should have done a search first.

yes, under "fuzzy wool."

4. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

Petrus is back (this time as St. Petrvs). Pls ban, etc.

5. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

Petrus is back (this time as St. Petrvs). Pls ban, etc.

I gagged on my Latour...but only briefly.

6. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

As with many things, yes and no. There is a fine balance to be struck between being killjoys and letting animals run the zoo.

Then let vegetables run the zoo, like they do on other sites.

7. Coburn

Coburn Well-Known Member

I've really enjoyed today's posts. When do I get to ban someone?

8. Coburn

Coburn Well-Known Member

9. hobojones

hobojones Well-Known Member

10. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I've really enjoyed today's posts. When do I get to ban someone?

You just missed a banning.

11. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Well-Known Member

As with many things, yes and no. There is a fine balance to be struck between being killjoys and letting animals run the zoo. Some forums are *very* tightly regulated (see the fashionspot.com) and registration is even closed, and they seem to do well. On the other hand, other forums die. There is not a one size fit all model of moderation. With that said, I consider Manton to be a valuable contributor. Metro, let's just say he brings energy, but he needs occasional timeouts. And yes, families are strictly off limits.
    I find the level of moderation on this board, as it currently exists and has existed, to be more than adequate. What happened with MS and Manton was not a failure of moderation whatsoever; it was a failure of one person to recognize the line and refrain from crossing it. I fail to see how tighter moderation can thought-police people's behavior and prevent this sort of situation from occurring again. Rather, the only demonstrable effect it will have is to limit the range of conversation that is had on the boards. Some folks want a more limited board, and that's their preference. But this board has been relatively unlimited for quite some time, and barring the occasional but relatively rare meltdown, it gets on remarkably well. Comparisons to 4chan, even as regards DT, are laughably overstated. The folks on this thread who cry out for stricter moderation are highly misguided in both their assumptions and their conclusions. Let's not cut off our nose to spite our face.

12. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

I think that each member should start each day by Paypalling their favorite mod whose name starts with M a dollar. This would make the board a much better place.

13. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
  14. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

I think that each member should start each day by Paypalling their favorite mod whose name starts with M a dollar. This would make the board a much better place.

Is the price of vegemite on the rise?

15. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

manton will find out, like the rest of us, that the real world is not a nice place and he'll come back inside the safe confines of sf.

16. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Well-Known Member

Quiet Mar-Bear. The man contributes beautiful pictures of women's bodies while you, on the other hand, do not. Thus, he is a more valuable asset to the forum than you are.

ty sir. i'll be sure to add to the appreciation threads for ya

17. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    [​IMG]

I love the pics of your pug. Oddly enough my fawn pug is grey in almost exactly the same pattern. Her face is slowly going grey, but there's a stripe of black right down the middle of her muzzle.

18. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I love the pics of your pug. Oddly enough my fawn pug is grey in almost exactly the same pattern. Her face is slowly going grey, but there's a stripe of black right down the middle of her muzzle.
    They are such great dogs.

19. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

my poasts are worth less than infrequent photos of fat girls?? [​IMG]!
    Have you been to the backdoor thread lately? Its a magnificent place.
    ty sir. i'll be sure to add to the appreciation threads for ya
    You are a kind and wonderful soul
    I love the pics of your pug.
    Can we all stop kissing Matt's ass now? I know I'm going to get flamed for this but somebody should say it - Why wasn't Manton timed out? Is it because he threatened to leave? Or because he's been around since the beginning? To be fair, he did threaten bodily harm, and wish death, on Metro. I'm not saying one dumbass is better than another, but that's not exactly something that should be taken lightly.

20. redcaimen

redcaimen Well-Known Member

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but somebody should say it - Why wasn't Manton timed out? Is it because he threatened to leave? Or because he's been around since the beginning? To be fair, he did threaten bodily harm, and wish death, on Metro. I'm not saying one dumbass is better than another, but that's not exactly something that should be taken lightly.

I think Metro started it by sending him dicktures or somehow had dicktures delivered to him. Not sure. After that it seemed pretty much a dead heat in dumbassness between the two but it wouldnt have happened if not for Metros goading. At least thats my theory.