1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Showe time...

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by F4iryder14, Dec 4, 2003.

1. F4iryder14

F4iryder14 Well-Known Member

Gentleman,

All right. I know this is an odd question, but I have to find out if I am in the minority (which I am with most people I know) or just downright weird and out of touch. Ever since I can remember, I have always showered before I went to bed. I shower, shave if I need to, hit the bed clean, wake up and put on deodorant/cologne, fresh clothes, and I'm out the door. It's just the way I have always done and what feels the best for me.

Now most people I know shower in the morning, and to me the pure idea seems on many levels counter-productive and on some level kind of disgusting. What is the point of accumulating a whole day's worth of sweat, oil, and grime, sleeping in it for 6-10 hours, and waking up and showering only to go out and repeat the same process. I understand if you want to be fresh when you go to work, but if I sleep clean, I wake up that way. My opinion is also probably influenced by the fact that I live in Oklahoma, and showering in the summer before stepping into 95 degree heat with 90% percent humidity so you can open your front door and instantly sweat will never make sense to me.

Now I am not knocking anyone's routine or saying any one way is better, it just always seems that people I talk to shower in the morning, and I sometimes feel weird saying that I didn't shower that morning, I did it the previous night. Odd topic, I know, but I just need some other people's opinions. Thanks.

Kevin

2. freakseam

freakseam Well-Known Member

both 'sides' of the question have their merits. for myself, shower-times vary, depending upon what is going on, activities, weather, and other...it's not necessarily limited to a once-a-day thing. morning and night aren't out of the question...and, i'll admit it, sometimes i won't shower at all (.): something akin to the idea of not washing hair each-and-every day and something very dependent upon what i'm doing and where i may need to be, etc...in any case, i'm not grungy about it [​IMG]

3. Laxbuddah

Laxbuddah Member

Then there is me, somewhat OCD. I can't go to sleep without a shower, and sure as hell can't wake up without one.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I go to gym in the morning, and I take a shower after that, and then again at night, to wash off the day's grime and go to bed nice and fresh. I don't understand how someone can skip either and feel clean.

5. F4iryder14

F4iryder14 Well-Known Member

Good points you guys.  I guess I should have included both as an option.  

Kevin

6. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Before indoor plumbing, and even until bathtub manufacturers started looking for more profits, it was considered excessive to bathe any more than once a week.

oh yeah and I voted for 'shower at night,' because I work out at night and shower after that.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Only in the barbarian west. God, you people are filthy [​IMG] The ancient Egyptians apparently bathed three times a day.

8. vero_group

vero_group Well-Known Member

I shower in the morning for three reasons:

1) I sleep with dogs in my bed -- my hopes of a "clean" sleep are not likely
    2) I tend to sweat in my sleep more than I do during the day, so I feel "dirtiest" when I wake up.
    3) it is the water hitting my head and shoulders that wakes my mind up the most in the morning and gets my day started with a clear head

Yes, we clean and change sheets more than once per week.

9. thc

thc Well-Known Member

In the morning for me. Need it to wake me up.

10. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Well-Known Member

Group me in with the Breakfast Club -- a shower is just as important to me in the morning as a good meal. I try to work out right when I get up and shower right after that. In my opinion, there's no better feeling than being refreshed after a nice run. Although I cast my vote for morning, I'll occasionally take a shower at night (if I've had a particularly gritty day). I just can't go on feeling groggy throughout the day.