1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoulder comparison of Borrelli, Brioni, Kiton, and Isaia

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sho'nuff, Jul 14, 2009.

1. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

maybe this: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...50&postcount=7
    I think that was it, but I thought there was another one discussing a "Continental" style and a comparison with others, and I thought Italian styles were also included.

2. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

Easy enough. Here is a sartorial all star with different shoulder treaments.

One of the best dressed men of our era, "The black Prince Michael (not of Kent )"

Here in a Huntsman military look ( note the structured shoulder )

[​IMG]

Prince Michael in a Roman look, Caraceni perhaps, ( note the slightly roped shoulders ) and also the soft overall look and the Keaton collar shirt:

[​IMG]

Soft Neapolitan look ( Not Rubinacci ):

[​IMG]

The vintage look ( note the notch lapet Tux )

[​IMG]

This post has been Al Sharpton approved.

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

Easy enough. Here is a sartorial all star with different shoulder treaments.

One of the best dressed men of our era, "The black Prince Michael (not of Kent )"

Here in a Huntsman military look ( note the structured shoulder )

[​IMG]

Prince Michael in a Roman look, Caraceni perhaps, ( note the slightly roped shoulders ) and also the soft overall look and the Keaton collar shirt:

[​IMG]

Soft Neapolitan look ( Not Rubinacci ):

[​IMG]

The vintage look ( note the notch lapet Tux )

[​IMG]

This post has been Al Sharpton approved.

nice. this was all i needed, thanks.

4. mrbig

mrbig Well-Known Member

Just FYI - Michael favoured (from what i can see) YSL, Dior Homme and Gucci. AFAIK everything in the above post was made/designed by Bill Whitten (the "Huntsman military look") and the "Caraceni" look designed by Michael himself, made by Michael Bush and Dennis Tompkins.

And now the question - Where does Tom Ford fit in this spectrum? He did say IIRC his suits had an italian influence...

5. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

Just FYI - Michael favoured (from what i can see) YSL, Dior Homme and Gucci. AFAIK everything in the above post was made/designed by Bill Whitten (the "Huntsman military look") and the "Caraceni" look designed by Michael himself, made by Michael Bush and Dennis Tompkins.

And now the question - Where does Tom Ford fit in this spectrum? He did say IIRC his suits had an italian influence...

Wow, you seem to really know your MJ design stuff! Is this:

[​IMG]

Designed by Bill Whitten or by MJ himself?

AFAIK even Vox doesn't design his own stuff, but I could be wrong. Perhaps Vox designed the above outfit. That would really be impressive!

6. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

7. GTR

GTR Well-Known Member

I never found out, but what does Neapolitan mean in terms of design/look?

Bandwagon.

8. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

Vox is generally correct in his comparisons except, at least this past season, the local
    retailers of Isaia, Saks and Nieman Marcus, are carrying a newly-designed Base S
    model which has much more padding in addition to a shorter jacket and a much closer fit
    than last year. I own several Isaia Sirio garments, the immediate predecessor of the
    Base S, and the fit is very different. In fact, I would have to go up a size in the current
    model despite having lost five pounds in the last few months. I wouldn't buy
    this model anyway as I am a natural shoulder fanatic. It seems that the Italian
    vendors are reverting to their old silhouttes. I never wore an Italian jacket until five
    or six years ago when natural shoulders became common.

9. mrbig

mrbig Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

AFAIK even Vox doesn't design his own stuff, but I could be wrong. Perhaps Vox designed the above outfit. That would really be impressive!

That 'gem' (the outfit every single female friend i have loves lol) was designed by MJ and Gianni Versace.

10. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Helmut Lang?

11. Chips

Chips Well-Known Member

That seems like a rather high gorge on the Isaia.

12. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Well-Known Member

yes, agreed on the Isaia-- I'm trying to roll the lapels down to the center button to offset that a little.

That seems like a rather high gorge on the Isaia.

For the original poster, you might also consider ralph lauren purple label suits, which have a moderate shoulder and lapel width, sort of an italian take on english tailoring. They can also be had at very good sale prices from time to time; I was fortunate to pick up a couple recently and they are fast becoming some of my favorite suits (looks like I need several more wears of this suit, to help the shoulders better mold to my shape/ shoulders)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

^ looking very sharp Foxx.

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

very nice looking thanks