1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Should One Wear Braces?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kcgreg, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Crane's does carry Filson suspenders, they're just not on the site.

2. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Braces are quickly going the way of the carrier pigeon...or some such animal.[​IMG]

The way of the carrier pigeon is to return home and be used again.

3. eg1

eg1 Well-Known Member

When you are wearing a waistcoat and therefore are not going to wear a belt.

4. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

The way of the carrier pigeon is to return home and be used again.
    If I am not mistaken, he often unloads something along the way [​IMG]

5. Sator

Sator Well-Known Member

When you are wearing a waistcoat and therefore are not going to wear a belt.

Bingo.

Braces are something that date back to a time when all men wore waistcoats. The waistcoat allowed you to wear what is otherwise a ridiculous piece of apparatus. It was a hidden trick operating behind-the-scenes that straightened out the line of the trousers, thus making the wearing look smarter and taller.

Braces worn without a waistcoat or even a coat, on open display for all to see are the mark of a pimp. This is the male equivalent of a women walking around with a her garters showing:

[​IMG]

6. Jeff Naylor

Jeff Naylor Well-Known Member

Braces worn without a waistcoat or even a coat, on open display for all to see are the mark of a pimp. This is the male equivalent of a women walking around with a her garters showing:

I confess I am finding it difficult to find the inappropriateness in this photograph.

7. Shikar

Shikar Well-Known Member

Sator, she looks just fine....just fine.

Regards.

8. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't see the problem here...

9. Shikar

Shikar Well-Known Member

Grim, you are back to your old self/little picture!!

Regards.

10. Sator

Sator Well-Known Member

I confess I am finding it difficult to find the inappropriateness in this photograph.
    Sator, she looks just fine....just fine. Regards.
    Yeah, I don't see the problem here...
    True - but none of you guys look very good in garters. Therein lies the problem. [​IMG] Don't post pics to disprove me. I will just believe you if you insist hard enough.

11. Shraka

Shraka Well-Known Member

I love braces. I just wore mine all day for the first time the other day. It was brilliant! My shirt didn't pull out of my pants, my pants didn't need pulling up, it all sat comfortably. I don't know why they ever went out of fashion.

I wore it with a waistcoat though, so nobody saw them. [​IMG]

12. Will Knowles

Will Knowles Well-Known Member

How do people feel about braces with odd jackets?

13. Doc4

Doc4 Well-Known Member

Bingo.

[​IMG]

Hunh? What were we talking about?

14. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I wore braces off and on during the 80's suspender craze. I thought the look was fun but I never thought they were all that comfortable. I much prefer a belt, no belt or side tabs.

They do seem to maximize the drape of a very full cut, pleated pant. I would consider them if I were to buy something like that. I also have two pair for my tuxedo. They are only for show and really serve no practical purpose since the button side tabs on my tux pants work fine without them.

15. VictorC

VictorC Well-Known Member

Are braces supposed to be hidden under waistcoats then? Ive seen some people wear braces and i thought they looked quite cool. I saw a kid on a tv show the other day and even he looked OK.

16. Shraka

Shraka Well-Known Member

Are braces supposed to be hidden under waistcoats then? Ive seen some people wear braces and i thought they looked quite cool. I saw a kid on a tv show the other day and even he looked OK.

For formal and semi formal occasions you are not to show your suspenders as a general rule. As for business wear, as it can be quite warm in an office I think it's much more acceptable to show them, just like it's more acceptable to not wear your coat at work.

17. Sator

Sator Well-Known Member

These days nobody is going to shocked if they saw your braces, though you might get a few funny stares and comments. However, walking around with the braces showing does have a somewhat negative stereotype associated with it: [​IMG] Braces are also only comfortable when you wear them with proper brace trousers. These are cut with a higher rise and fish mouth back: [​IMG] The waist also has to be a bit looser than with belt trousers. When you go back to belt trousers you notice that they are more constricting around the waist. Clip ons damage the trousers and should be avoided at all cost. You can add brace buttons to belt trousers but it is often uncomfortable. As this diagram illustrates (from Flusser), brace trousers also help to hide a stout waistline: [​IMG] They also straighten out the leg line and make the wearer look taller, as already mentioned. So there are numerous advantages to brace trousers. These days brace trousers can usually only be custom made, and most wearers show them off as an old world curiosity clipped on to their belt trousers.

18. VictorC

VictorC Well-Known Member

For formal and semi formal occasions you are not to show your suspenders as a general rule. As for business wear, as it can be quite warm in an office I think it's much more acceptable to show them, just like it's more acceptable to not wear your coat at work.

I see. Ive never worn braces before but just recently have thought about it after seein a few people wear them.
    I havent got any brace trousers though, if brace trousers exist. Ive only got jeans or chinos. I dont suppose braces go with jeans but might work with my navy chinos.

19. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Well-Known Member

Whenever you're wearing trousers that you don't want to fall down.
    - too funny!

suspenders are like tattoos. if you have to ask someone's opinion, they're not for you.
    - too true

- I have enquired with Ethandesu about wearing braces with my new suits from him as we had all the belt loops removed.
    - this was fine initially, but as I am now loosing my winter coat - the pants are starting to drop..
    - with try with one pair & see how that goes

20. larsrindsig

larsrindsig Well-Known Member

Braces are also only comfortable when you wear them with proper brace trousers.

That's a bit categorical and I don't know that I agree. Even trousers with a 'regular' cut, I find, are more comfortable when worn with braces.