• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I wear these shoes for a wedding?

Ramish Abbas

Reaction score

Should I wear these shoes for a indoor wedding around summer time? I will be wearing a light grey suit and I really want to wear brown shoes with it. I am quite a fan of brogue designs and shoes, this was the closest pair that I found for my taste and liking. Now i'm looking for your advice that if I should wear these or not with my grey suit. The only concern I have with these shoes is the white sole.
Any advice or similar type of shoes are well appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Cheers!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your concern is correct. The white sole kills it.
In addition, I have no idea of your budget, but
the shoes, aside from their soles scream, "cheap".
In fact these shoes are probably casual shoes
in a brogue style and were never intended
to be worn with suits.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I vote nay for three reasons.

1. Those soles make the shoes look casual.
2. I would always err on the side of formality at a wedding unless I know otherwise - so I would stick to black for a wedding.
3. Those shoes would look especially bad with a grey suit

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NO, burn them instead - the white sole makes them unfit for most purposes.

Stiva

Reaction score
Order a pair of snuff suede oxfords from Meermin. If you have time.

Ramish Abbas

Reaction score
I was prepared for this haha! And I do agree with all of you guys, white sole kills this shoe. My budget is about $50-80 and I was looking for brown wingtip shoes that I can casually wear after the wedding because I just don't want to spend money on shoes that I will probably wear once in 3 years. I picked these because they looked a little casual but now I probably wouldn't get these because of the sole.
I would love if you guys have any recommendations for me around that budget, I know it's not a lot but that's all I have right now
Thanks for the comments! :)

brokencycle

Reaction score
Why do you want to dress casually for someone's wedding? Is it a casual attire wedding?

Ramish Abbas

Reaction score
I thought about suede but I'm trying to keep it more formal. I'll stick with leather, thanks tho. :)

Ramish Abbas

Reaction score
No it's a formal wedding but i'm going with a light grey suit, white shirt and I haven't decided on the tie yet. But the kind of shoes I want are brown wingtips and I think they are pretty formal but I would love that if I can wear them casually after the wedding. So I kind of want a semi-formal pair of shoes.

Celadon

Reaction score
I thought about suede but I'm trying to keep it more formal. I'll stick with leather, thanks tho. :)

These shoes aren't formal in any way. The colour is too light and the brogue pattern (wingtip and perforations) makes them very casual.

You would do better to buy a pair of plain (non-brogued) oxfords in some shade of brown suede, like the Hallams or the Connaughts from Crockett & Jones

Hallam:

Connaught:

More affordable variations on the same theme from Meermin:

http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2749
http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2328

(Above are the lighter ones, just to show a different shade of brown.)

Shoes like these would look excellent with a light grey suit at a summer wedding. Or with grey flannel trousers in the cooler season. In style they are more formal (not "formal", properly speaking, just more formal) than wingtip/brogue shoes, such as the ones you suggested above. But the suede still makes them casual enough to look good with jeans or chinos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads