1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Should I try a "slim fit" shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Perdogg, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Perdogg

Perdogg Well-Known Member

I see a lot of "slim fit" shirts in both regular department stores and their discounts cousins, the question is am I right 'body type' for slim fit. I always think of euro-skinny when I see 'slim fit'. No offense to the neighbours across the sea.

I am more concern with comfort, however, if it is ill fitting it probably won't work. I am a 46R - 17.5/35.

What say you?

2. mingus2112

mingus2112 Well-Known Member

Unless you consider yourself overweight, or have quite a bit of a belly, the slim fit shirts will probably fit you OK. You'd have to try them on to really know. Most "full cut" shirts are cut for the largest possible man that might have that neck size. Most brands' "slim fit" versions are closer to a NORMAL fit.

What brands are you looking at?

3. Scalable

Scalable Member

Forgive me if this seems rude - but are you quite serious?

To ask whether one should try a different shirt fit without specifying common-sense details such as one's body type - especially since you mentioned that - or model/maker, or, for that matter, any context, is vague in the extreme. Collar and sleeve measurements and usual jacket size do very little to show whether one is overweight or skinny.

In addition, "slim fit" varies considerably between makers, with some taking the word for its true meaning and other simply using that label for shirts that are for normal people. This is a question that you cannot expect an answer from here - make the effort to try them on yourself.

4. Perdogg

Perdogg Well-Known Member

I was looking at Lorenzo Uomo shirts.

5. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

Slim-fitting otr shirts aren't really THAT slim, so if you don't mind a slightly slimmer than normal shirt, you'll be fine. I don't know what you're hoping to get from this thread. Just try on the shirt.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

I say, please provide a photo of you in a slim undershirt so we can assess your body type.

7. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

I am boderline obese according to the BMI. Slim fit shirts fit me perfectly, unless they have skinny arms.

8. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

If you tell us your waist size we would be able to offer better advice

9. NickFR

NickFR Member

I have the same problem. A relatively small waist but quite large arms. I find that
    normal fit is too baggy but slim fit isnt as long/large around the arms

10. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Well-Known Member

I'll chime in: I'm also a 17/17.5 x 35 and often thought that slim fit shirts were going to be far too 'skinny' for me. I have a rather atheltic build, although I'm nowhere near in the shape that I was in my 20's (I'm 38 now). I learned that most shirts come in three basic 'types' - normal, slim, and extra slim. Some will use different names like traditional, classic, etc. but they tend to mean the same thing. I've found that most slim fit shirts fit me better than classic fit shirts because they don't get all billowy around the waist. I actually purchased a Lorenzo Uomo shirt about a month ago and it's one of the best fitting shirts I own. I now look for slim fit, however, I also maintain an awareness that some classic or 'normal' fit shirts might work well too, depending on the shirt maker.

Hope this helps!

11. Stylishmartita

Stylishmartita Well-Known Member

Slim fit shirts can be very tight around the armhole. If you go made to measure, a standard fitting with darts on the back would be more comfortable. You provide the measures of chest and waist, but the armhole is wider. Of course it depends on the shirtmaker..

12. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

The difference between brands ,models and even seasons is so large the question is impossible to answer.

Go out and try stuff on.

Some brands are boyish slim. Narrow shoulders. Relatively straight down to the waist (think minimal taper/drop) smallish arms.

Some brands are athletic slim. Broad shoulders. fairly V shaped tapered drops.

Some brands are just less baggy then the brands average cut.

13. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Since most shirts on your side of the Atlantic seem to be cut wide enough to double as schooner sails, I don't see how a slim fit shirt could do any harm. You won't know till you try one on.

14. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

I think that slim fit shirts tend to look better on most people than regular fit shirts. I'd also note that some online websites provide a size guide where they'll give you chest and waist measurements for their various shirt fits. Charles Tyrwhitt has (or had, haven't rechecked in awhile) a pretty comprehensive one and I think you can find some sizing information on Brooks Brothers online as well. Not as sure with the brand you're looking at.

I agree with others here that posting your measurements would help. In particular, the waist measurement. You could be a 46R with a 6 inch drop or a 10 inch drop. That's going to make a difference in terms of fit.

15. MSchott

MSchott Active Member

I agree with most everything above. I'm not slim at 5'10" and 215 pounds but can easily wear off the rack "fitted" dress shirts. I tend to like the Roundtree and Yorke brand available at Dillards and even with my extra weight their fitted shirts are a bit loose. I'm sure this varies by brand and shirts from European manufacturers may have a slimmer cut. If you are ordering online make sure they have a good return policy but if you are shopping brick and mortar, just try them on. Of course your best option is a bespoke shirt. Bespoke shirts I've had fit far better than anything I've bought at a store.

16. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

...see my point?

17. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Any shirt I buy, regardless of cut, gets taken to tailor to have darts put in. Perfect fit every time.

18. NickFR

NickFR Member

i'll look into that,
    thanks!

1 person likes this.
  19. Stylishmartita

Stylishmartita Well-Known Member

You're welcome [​IMG]. If you need further help just ask.

20. GentByConduct

GentByConduct New Member

All of my shirts are either slim, or extra slim fit. What I find (all my shirts are Charles Tyhwrit) is that they just tend to hug the shoulder better and are more tapered at the waist so when they are tucked in, you aren't left with the baggy overlay that an oversized shirt, or a regular shirt from many brands can give you. I'd recommend going with slim fit for anyone with even a body shop slightly larger than average. Go with regular only if you really struggle for room in your clothes. I just prefer how they fit. My definition of slim-fit is not that of the euro skinny fit either. That's the whole topman thing. I can't stand that.