1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Should I put Topys on my worn-out shoe soles?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Douglas, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

I've got two old pairs of shoes with holes worn through on the balls of my feet. At least one of them is a glue job. I know most people on here don't like Topys, but I like both pairs of shoes and I wouldn't mind a short-term solution until I can find a cobbler to have at least one of the pairs re-soled, and the glued shoes still look very nice and I'd like to keep them, if possible.

Your thoughts?

I'd also like to know where to pick these Topys up. I'd imagine I could just do it myself, couldn't I? I googled Topys and all I got were links to AAAC and SF debates... no links to purchase them anywhere.

2. speedster.8

speedster.8 Well-Known Member

Just find a good shoemaker that will replace the leather or put rubber for a foul weather shoe.
    Im a firm believer in longterm use of my shoes and have resoled several. Most shoe stores can reccomend a repair service.

But topying should in theory be ok to do your self, fine sand the topy & sole and use "contact glue".I think the trick would be to keep even pressure during the drying time.

HTH
    Speed

3. J Simulcik

J Simulcik Well-Known Member

An autogyro en route to the Prussian consulate in
    Just find a good shoemaker that will replace the leather or put rubber for a foul weather shoe.

+100

4. Golf_Nerd

Golf_Nerd Well-Known Member

+101

5. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Well-Known Member

I agree that a cobbler would be the man for the job.

(+102)

6. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I agree that a cobbler would be the man for the job. (+102)
    +103

I plan to have a pair of shell cordovan shoes resoled, and will have commando (topy-type) soles added to them.

7. greyinla

greyinla Well-Known Member

It's going to be difficult to find topy- or vibram-brand rubber soles for sale retail. And putting them on right is not so easy. Rubber or resole, as others have suggested, a good cobbler would be best.

8. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

Depends on whether a) these are shoes worth investing more money in, and b) whether or not you know of a good cobbler capable of properly resoling them. If the answer to either is no to either question, then just have them topy'd and be done with it.