1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

Id buy that RL sweater if it was on sale, and if it wasn't date-marked. I hate how all RL products have dates on them, makes wearing it a year later feel dated. Must be their shitty marketing strategy. I need moar funny knits.

the date will be cool in 20 years.

2. michaelttizzle

michaelttizzle Active Member

3. softy

softy Well-Known Member

the ren-faire leather laceup part is wacky.

also, why so much love for waxed cotton coats? i hate how they don't breathe well. plus just general rigidity and lack of sass to the fabric.
    gabardine was invented for a reason!

4. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

paging ppllzz... Your expert opinion on an RL piece is requested.

5. Dips**t Coworker

Dips**t Coworker Active Member

the ren-faire leather laceup part is wacky.

also, why so much love for waxed cotton coats? i hate how they don't breathe well. plus just general rigidity and lack of sass to the fabric.
    gabardine was invented for a reason!

I like a more rugged and masculine aesthetic, so "lack of sass" is a good thing.

6. softy

softy Well-Known Member

oh.
    i like an extremely faggy and gay aesthetic so I perforce have to avoid workwear, heritage, and denim goods and drape myself in supple materials

7. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

???

Lounge Lizard Thinsulate mods coat
    Should I go for something down, lighter and warmer??

I have a couple pieces from Lounge Lizard. Not my favorite, but I kind of like the brand. If you're looking for something warm, I'd go for a down coat though. There are simply too many cool Japanese down coats to choose from.

8. Dips**t Coworker

oh.
    i like an extremely faggy and gay aesthetic so I perforce have to avoid workwear, heritage, and denim goods and drape myself in supple materials

Props for using the word "perforce" in a sentence, verily.

9. softy

softy Well-Known Member

10. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

11. ahjota

ahjota Well-Known Member

+1. Down coats woo.

12. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

That is amazing. Don't let these people affect you. Buy it. If it was some Japanese brand they would be telling you to buy it even if it was $700.

13. Dips**t Coworker

[​IMG]

You gotta ask yourself, would Clint Eastwood wear this?

14. jet

jet Well-Known Member

15. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

16. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

nah i think both are wrong probably. i havent really figured out what i should think about spending money to be completely honest, which is why my post had a lot of holes in it.

but yeah i actually hate cars (barely can drive and don't really care to learn, the idea of using a 2 ton brick of metal to transport single individuals around while simultaneously destroying the environment never made much sense to me) and big houses (i think small spaces are generally much more well thought out and efficiently organized), so basically the only consumption that i would engage in is clothes and food strangely enough.

but anyway i guess im just in a phase of trying to limit my consumption and be more conscious of what im really doing when im spending. i have a lot of pretty expensive clothing and i definitely enjoy this hobby, but im realizing that from a purely selfish standpoint as well as in the context of understanding how much $xxxx is worth to someone who is not as fortunate my spending habits don't make too much sense

obviously this has not much to do with you, since your financial circumstance is much different from my own, so it was more of a self-directed monologue that was set off because you bought something very similar to something i just got rid of

To be fair, I don't like large houses much either. But my dislike is not based on guilt, oppression of the poor, or some sustainably nonsense. Small houses simply feel cozier and more inviting to me. Additionally an expensive house is frequently a bad investment relative to other things you could invest in. I'd rather have enough money such that I can quit my existing job at any time without having to change my standard of living significantly. Life is too short to be stuck working at a job that drains you.

If you want to live in a small living space, not drive a car, wear cheaper clothing, and donate your excess wealth to charities that help the poor-- I'll be the last person to criticize you.

And please don't change over to MC style clothing on us (as previously you hinted at), especially when your fits are starting to look quite good!

17. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance Well-Known Member

3Sixteen duffel coats up. Can't decide which color to get! Guide me...leaning towards black. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Dips**t Coworker

3Sixteen duffel coats up. Can't decide which color to get! Guide me...leaning towards black.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Heather is my pick but they're all pretty great.

19. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

bb1: having a cheap apartment and not driving a car are two of the things that let me buy "expensive" clothes lol

20. Dips**t Coworker

[​IMG]

About to pull the trigger on these. Worth it for 245?