1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. J.B.R

J.B.R Member

I'm looking at getting a pair of Navy Boat shoes:
    Cole Haan or Paraboot.

the Cole's say they are:Fully leather lined with comfort padded sock lining
    which will make them nice to wear w/o socks.

However, I am digging the color of the Paraboot, minus their tag on the side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

IME, I haven't found any cut < $200 that is remotely close to the DH 19cm cut. They're either too wide in the thigh or not tapered enough.

If you have any recommendations, please let me know.

the apc petite standard is pretty close to the 19cm cut

3. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

Yeah that's probably a good kop.

I kopped my lanvin highs in black patent black suede but my next pair will either be german army lows or MMM white high tops, I'll see what's around.

Want grey and black Achilles highs too. I'd kop Raf astros or vandals too if they show up in my size.

4. onion

onion Well-Known Member

^^^^ I actually have 2 pairs of German army trainers on their way to me from Germany as we speak. I bought them off German ebay for like $50 or so each, with shipping. Such a good price on an amazingly designed shoe if you just take the time to use German Ebay.

5. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

^ Yeah I gotta grab two pair next week.

They are so nice, still great after all this time.

Really like the MMM hightops though, truely nice.

6. Kvc06

Kvc06 Well-Known Member

^Haha

Kit always bringing the hate

Dude don't get yellow shoes, just pickup the classic whites or white grey on eBay / B+S

I didn't take his comment as hate at all!

A suede varsity is sounder better and better, just need to decide if I wanna commit and pick a colorway

7. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

Oh no I mean that Kit always puts the hate on Dior Homme denims, not you as such.

If your a good size (unlike me) you'll pick em up easily around 200 on B&amp;S.

Also the suede varsity is really nice, one of the nicest items coming out of TOJ ATM, charly on SuFu has been doing mock ups via photo shop too.

A good pair of sneaks are worth thier weight in gold, CP's are pretty lame most of the time, most stuff
    is over designed or hype beasty and then the good stuff doesn't get distribution online.

I could easily wear DH black raws, my new lanvins and a white t everyday.

8. ppllzz

ppllzz Well-Known Member

richard chai, imported, but from where? i sorta like the plaid shirts

how are they?

9. d-nice

d-nice Well-Known Member

^ I think they are made in China. I have tried one on before and it was nice but didnt feel like it was worth the 250+ price tag but for around a hundo, it might be worth it.

10. ppllzz

ppllzz Well-Known Member

ugh still not worth it at that price then... RL custom fit plaids are only $50 and have the mop buttons etc too (made in china!)

11. onion

onion Well-Known Member

richard chai, imported, but from where? i sorta like the plaid shirts

how are they?

I think they are great, especially the flannels. Some of the shirts are made in China (ie "imported"), and others are made in the USA, it depends on the specific item. Quality is very good though, with high quality fabrics, and buttons, basically what you would expect for a shirt in that price range or slightly higher, despite the country of origin. I have many shirts made in China and the US by Richard Chai, and quality seems to be nearly identical.

Edit: When I say they are good for the price, I mean at retail, not Gilt's prices. I think they are a steal at Gilt prices, it's too bad I already have 3/4 of the shirts on Gilt... and I paid retail for most of them.

12. d-nice

d-nice Well-Known Member

onion obviously knows a lot about the subject. I have a few pieces from Richard Chai and the quality is good. I picked up a cashmere sweater in the sale today.

13. Shadeeq

Shadeeq Active Member

How about this Marcs leather jacket?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. StreetPreacher

StreetPreacher Member

Well I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping the coat, just not quite sure about size. I always seem to be between sizes... I'm thinking the shoulders are a bit snug on the small, but anyone have an opinion? It's also machine washable and is supposed to shrink up to 2%.

Small:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Medium:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

the small looks fine

16. d-nice

d-nice Well-Known Member

the small looks fine

+1 small is fine

17. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

the small is better. i think you should undo the bottom button.

18. StreetPreacher

StreetPreacher Member

Thanks, I guess the small it is! And I wasn't planning on wearing it with everything buttoned, I just did that to show fitment better [​IMG].

19. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

I'm looking at getting a pair of Navy Boat shoes: Cole Haan or Paraboot. the Cole's say they are:Fully leather lined with comfort padded sock lining which will make them nice to wear w/o socks. However, I am digging the color of the Paraboot, minus their tag on the side.
    No.
    Oh no I mean that Kit always puts the hate on Dior Homme denims, not you as such. If your a good size (unlike me) you'll pick em up easily around 200 on B&S. Also the suede varsity is really nice, one of the nicest items coming out of TOJ ATM, charly on SuFu has been doing mock ups via photo shop too. A good pair of sneaks are worth thier weight in gold, CP's are pretty lame most of the time, most stuff is over designed or hype beasty and then the good stuff doesn't get distribution online. I could easily wear DH black raws, my new lanvins and a white t everyday.
    Dude, DH makes some of my favorite coated jeans (Waxing Moon in blue or black, Arcadius in maroon, a few others) but for raws there are tons of better denims. But I would also not pay >100 for a pair of sneakers

20. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    on ebay for a good price
    or

[​IMG]
    170$

i lose/break sunglasses, so im leaning towards frogskins.
    Also i feel like theyre a bit younger feeling, not sure if i can swing the persols.
    Thoughts on frogskinz?

i just got the persols last week, they are a classic but that doesnt mean it will make you look old or anything ahha. great frames and lenses, i have the tortoise with g15 lense