1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

If you're gonna spend near 1800 go for the Dries trench.

[​IMG]

Or a cheaper option: Geller "Giorgio" trench

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

that dries one is great, there are some fantastic ones in the ss17 collection as well

3. Severisth

Severisth Well-Known Member

Siki Im Blazer?

[​IMG]

Or too much overlap with my Peir Wu lapel-less blazer?

4. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

while i'm a big fan of lapelless blazers, that one doesn't particularly strike my fancy

1 person likes this.
  5. Severisth

Yeah I get that, I like aspects of it and really love lapel-less blazers and coats; but should probably let this one slide on by

6. anzar

anzar Well-Known Member

I like this one, I would look like Sherlock hommes, on serious note I really like the style and color

1 person likes this.
  7. GoodTwillHuntin

GoodTwillHuntin Well-Known Member

Engineered garments c1 vest at $140?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Well-Known Member

That's a winter coat though, isn't it. The Raf and Margiela I posted are spring, and to be had on sale right now. (Not that I needed another ss coat any more than another fw one of course.)

Btw I think Geller is almost an America-only operation. His Web site has not a single EU stockist. If it weren't for SF, I'm not sure I'd ever have come across the name otherwise.

It's exactly the length that appeals to me. Although I admit I'm not sure how wearable/practical a coat that long would be in everyday use.

Is it just me or have Raf's prices risen generally since his stint at Dior? It seems up until a couple of years ago to see an item in the 2k range was something pretty extraordinary in his own collections. Nowadays, any plain unlined cotton parka is around 2k.

Reminds me of how at the beginning of SS16 I saw a small Raf Simons cotton canvas washbag in a store in Berlin. Price tag: 450 euros...

9. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

coats with wonky proportions tend to look like shit unless you have outfits to back it up, something to keep in mind.

that parka is as bad as the fake *Archive Raf* garbage making the rounds. textbook money grabbing, please don't encourage him.

(and if you really like the picture the book will have a much better resale value should you tire of looking at it)

what kind of sick minded individual would remove lapels but keep welt pockets

1 person likes this.
  10. Severisth

Yeah, price even dropped on it but still think it looks off. So, what about this one...

Peir Wu

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  11. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

I've the seed for Raf Simons: Redux if anyone wants to look at it without paying however much they go for.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  12. Kevin24

Kevin24 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the quality/fit of J.Crew's "Made in the USA" denim? If anyone has had any experience with it?

I got some casual trousers from them a couple of years ago but it was typical "imported" quality and they shrunk on the first wash.

13. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

Caveat: I have no direct experience with these pants. However,

You'll find that most people on this forum are anti-J.Crew (including me), but for those jeans in particular I would certainly not consider them unless you have a chance to try in person. Made-in-USA (and "stitched in LA") tends to mean nothing from most mall brands, and J Crew is no exception. 125$ is getting into the range of decent denim from brands that do make quality garments (Cone produces various denims for a few of them), and since another 50-75$ could net you a wide range of options including some interesting Japanese fabrics, I would hold off.

Besides, I don't know which cut the "484" is, but my experience with JCrew is that they're not cut for human-shaped humans. Something terribly wrong with the dimensions, in most cases.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  14. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Those jeans look like what the half-hipster half-bro dudes tucking their blue button downs wear, too slim for their big legs and asses, looks ridiculous.

3 people like this.
  15. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Yes, would buy if it wasn't too slim for me.

16. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

Pretty much describing all of NZ and England

17. hoodog

hoodog Well-Known Member

You don't like skinny jeans per se, or just this model? I mean, there's a lot slimmer fitting jeans out there...

18. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

FWIW, J. Crew revamped their denim line a while ago. A lot of their jeans are now made from Cone or Kaihara denim, including their raw selvedge options. Mid-weight stuff around 13/14 oz, which seems pretty good.

One of my favorite jeans is made from stock/ non-custom Kaihara fabric, although I don't know how it compares to whatever J. Crew uses.

484 is their slim-tapered fit. They also have a fuller slim-straight 770 model and an even fuller 1040 model, although all would be considered on the slim-side of things. I haven't tried any of them out, but I interviewed Frank Muytjens a while ago about their jeans and it sounded like they were trying to get into the made-in-USA raw denim game. I think they've also since added a few washes and treatments.

To Kevin24, I haven't tried any of their jeans on, but that 484 cut looks a little too tight IMO. Also not crazy about garment dyed denim. Feels a little too '90s, but not in a good way.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  19. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Well-Known Member

Fwiw, I cringe whenever I see any of the "to the archives" stuff (some of the worst he's done in a while), but I like the "isolated heroes" capsule.

If (when) I tire of the photo, which is not really the main draw for me in this coat, the easiest solution will be to peel it off simply. Other dudes have done it to their fw14 camo fishtails who didn't like the Sterling Ruby artwork on the back.

20. leeba

leeba Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

mmmxmykita

[​IMG]

mykita roald

etc, a little overwhelmed by options here

1 person likes this.