1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

I'd just go for one of Julius' other slim fitting trousers. The cargo pockets sort of ruin it for me.

I already have 2 other pairs of more plain-looking Julius pants. Since I totally love how both fit me in Size 1, I was looking for something new in a totally different style. I know cargo pants are generally frowned upon by most on styleforum. But I am honestly tired of the raw denim (or an occasional chino) + plaid shirt concept that passes for approved style here. It frequently looks incredibly uninteresting, bland, and even downright awkward on a few people.

When I first started reading these forums, I tried the SF uniform and it always felt so wrong to me. It was as if someone was trying to force me into a mold that did not fit! More recently I've been aiming to simply buy what I like personally and largely ignore the rules presented here. This has led me to Julius and other Japanese brands.

The rules here are more useful as a guide to get you THINKING about style, but are no substitute for actual style. Since my change of heart, I feel like I'm finally starting to wear outfits that don't look awkward and I feel more confident in my style. Yet at the same time I have not simply gravitated to a different set of rules (such as those from stylezeitgeist-- I don't really want to look like a goth ninja either!) The most ironic thing is how I'm now wearing stuff that fits in LESS with the people around me, yet I feel MORE comfortable wearing it!

Publicly 2 people hate the Julius pants and 1 person likes them. Plus I received a pm from someone saying how they love the pants. So like most Julius pieces I've seen posted here in the past, the opinions are divided fairly evenly. So it would appear the Julius pants are a well done example of a particular aesthetic that half the people here simply do not appreciate.

2. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I like the pants, but I think if you have to ask you probably can't pull it off

3. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

i have and love those yurius pants

4. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

prove you own the pants

5. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

6. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I'll be waiting

7. Davidko19

Davidko19 Well-Known Member

Im looking for a cheap, stylish, midweight jacket for a trip to spain in 2 weeks. What do you guys think of this? Ill also be wearing just one pair of KMW 2010s the whole time --- black should I get the black jacket or brown???

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...REL&prepushId=

8. XenoX101

XenoX101 Well-Known Member

I already have 2 other pairs of more plain-looking Julius pants. Since I totally love how both fit me in Size 1, I was looking for something new in a totally different style. I know cargo pants are generally frowned upon by most on styleforum. But I am honestly tired of the raw denim (or an occasional chino) + plaid shirt concept that passes for approved style here. It frequently looks incredibly uninteresting, bland, and even downright awkward on a few people. When I first started reading these forums, I tried the SF uniform and it always felt so wrong to me. It was as if someone was trying to force me into a mold that did not fit! More recently I've been aiming to simply buy what I like personally and largely ignore the rules presented here. This has led me to Julius and other Japanese brands. The rules here are more useful as a guide to get you THINKING about style, but are no substitute for actual style. Since my change of heart, I feel like I'm finally starting to wear outfits that don't look awkward and I feel more confident in my style. Yet at the same time I have not simply gravitated to a different set of rules (such as those from stylezeitgeist-- I don't really want to look like a goth ninja either!) The most ironic thing is how I'm now wearing stuff that fits in LESS with the people around me, yet I feel MORE comfortable wearing it! Publicly 2 people hate the Julius pants and 1 person likes them. Plus I received a pm from someone saying how they love the pants. So like most Julius pieces I've seen posted here in the past, the opinions are divided fairly evenly. So it would appear the Julius pants are a well done example of a particular aesthetic that half the people here simply do not appreciate.
    Erm.. kay, I'm pretty sure you could go with some less stack crazy cargo pants and not wear raw denim + plaid shirt, there's uh, quite a lot of middle ground between these two extremes. Oh and you might not need to express your entire philosophy on fashion simply because someone didn't like your cargo pants, no need to justify yourself so extravagantly, or at all even.

9. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

Erm.. kay, I'm pretty sure you could go with some less stack crazy cargo pants and not wear raw denim + plaid shirt, there's uh, quite a lot of middle ground between these two extremes. Oh and you might not need to express your entire philosophy on fashion simply because someone didn't like your cargo pants, no need to justify yourself so extravagantly, or at all even.
    Sometimes writing out my thoughts in more detail helps me to think about an issue a bit more or maybe I'm just hoping for a more interesting discussion beyond simple "I like" or "I hate" comments. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities. Why don't you go complain about posters whom do the opposite extreme by offering up nothing but clever sounding on-liners for most of their responses? After reading snake's comments all I could picture in my mind was several of his recent WAYNW fits. That's where the my image of raw denim + plaid shirt = awkward sprang from. (Sorry snake, I'm not trying to offend but you really should try experimenting with some different looks and fits.) Honestly even the Japanese guy with the crazy stacking has a more style, even if you don't approve of the overall aesthetic. Regarding the crazy stacking on the Julius pants... I share the same concerns, but realize that in the first picture the model has purposefully forced the pants to stack by letting them ride on the top of his boots. And in the 2nd picture, the model is simply far shorter than myself. So I believe the pants will stack far less on me, especially if tucked properly into a pair of boots. Additionally, I think some amount of stacking on this style of pants is a good thing. Do you disagree? So any suggestions for these better cargo pants you speak of?

10. Arms_Akimbo

Arms_Akimbo Well-Known Member

I think those are probably the coolest cargos I've seen. Carries off the slim + bulky pocket combination well, which I can't say about other slim cargo pants.
    Debating between a gray tweed and a black twill blazer...
    I love gray tweed. Doesn't have to make you look old, with a good fit.

11. snake

snake Well-Known Member

After reading snake's comments all I could picture in my mind was several of his recent WAYNW fits. That's where the my image of raw denim + plaid shirt = awkward sprang from. (Sorry snake, I'm not trying to offend but you really should try experimenting with some different looks and fits.)

No offence taken, and I agree with some of what you mentioned. It wasn't until recently that I started experimenting with flannels and the likes, moreso because I wanted to try something new and experiment with different looks. I still consider myself a noob when it comes to fashion, so I'm definitely still trying to find my look. I would love to get my hands on some Julius or Diet Butcher pieces, however it will have to wait until I have the appropriate funds. More power to you for breaking from the norm and wearing what you truly appreciate.

12. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

Snake, you handle criticism far better than most people I know. Unfortunately I feel that one has to waste a lot of money on clothing mistakes in order to learn anything via experimentation. But despite this, experimentation is still my preferred method of learning. My experience has been that perhaps 1/3 of my knowledge has come from SF and the other 2/3 from failed clothing experiments. Here is another picture I found of the Julius pants. The stacking doesn't look so extreme in this picture where the model is slightly taller and has pulled the pants down to cover his boots. [​IMG]

13. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

Pants are awesome

I want a pair of slim cargo's like that

I really don't like the SF workwear thing thats big ATM, but there is a decent diversity here.

Buying items you love for the aesthetic(s) you love is my idea of a good place to be.

On a second note: I like Julius for the military theming not the flowey drapey style it's seen with alot.

14. aeglus

aeglus Well-Known Member

Really dislike those cargos, think that the KM collab from Uniqlo was better (slim pockets and more loose fit).

However, you shouldn't let this forum keep you from doing what you really want. They're not TERRIBLE. At least they have some character.

15. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

I think it looks good on a skinny person styled well in that julius kinda way. I don't think they would look as good if worn out of context though. So i guess if you wear that kinda of style head to toe a bunch go for it, if not, it's probably going to look a bit off on you compared to it looking good in the lookbooks. I think that happens to a lot of people on the forum in regards to nice items and styling

16. ddragovi

ddragovi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    except in grey

and

[​IMG]

17. wahwho11

wahwho11 Well-Known Member

^wing and horns? I like the first one, link?

18. ddragovi

ddragovi Well-Known Member

19. bigboy

bigboy Well-Known Member

I think it looks good on a skinny person styled well in that julius kinda way. I don't think they would look as good if worn out of context though. So i guess if you wear that kinda of style head to toe a bunch go for it, if not, it's probably going to look a bit off on you compared to it looking good in the lookbooks. I think that happens to a lot of people on the forum in regards to nice items and styling

In regards to fit, or worn out of context with the rest of what one is wearing?

20. mtsoccer4

mtsoccer4 Well-Known Member

^wing and horns? I like the first one, link?

+1 on the first one