1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

Yeah, I need to be able to fit a thick knit under it - I'm wearing a t-shirt in the pic. Same size, the wool ramie fits a bit looser due to the less voluminous nature of the fabric. About the same warmth.

Option 3, short mac. Last one in the country in my size being held 'til tmrw:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Well-Known Member

of the three i vote wool ramie, and i like the oversized look if you just shorten the sleeves. fitted shoulders/body + bell shape/ flare could look a bit feminine

1 person likes this.
  3. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

nn i don't think the bell-shaped coat works with anything i've seen you wear, sorry man. it's way too aristocratic.

2 people like this.
  4. Benesyed

Benesyed Well-Known Member

Brad pretty much caught my sentiment exactly. A fellow linguist would be someone id imagine in those coats. Especially given the vibe of his glasses.

5. nicelynice

good thing it covers everything I normally wear.. just need to match it to my boots and the bottom 1/3rd of my pants :)

I see girls wearing these A-shaped coats all the time and I get jealous. I almost bought that plain-ass Harnden mac coat today but I have SOOOO many things that are both very expensive and very boring, I thought I should finally get something that actually looks like fashion.

I'll even put these glasses on when I wear it:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  6. Benesyed

Your decision but it seems ill advised to buy a coat that looks so out of place. It would drive me crazy (speaking from experience)

Those glasses say "I'll eat your firewall for breakfast" not "well yes but I do so dearly enjoy the later works of baudillard"

7. nicelynice

Weird, Taichi Murakami used the exact same fabric last season on a pair of pants

Where does this stuff come from?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

do whatever makes you happy. blossom into the beautiful bell-shaped flower you've always wanted to be

11 people like this.
  9. nicelynice

if I get it I'm gonna spin and twirl so damn much

7 people like this.
  10. DividedWay

DividedWay Well-Known Member

Please get it NN. It's beautiful, and I'm pretty sure that I would have said your crazy avant-garde leathers wouldn't work with sneakers and indigo jeans, but you make it happen. I'm willing to bet money you make that awesome fabric work incredibly well.

11. Benesyed

I still think they don't work the best but that nn does it as well as anyone could hope to. And he is such a cool congenial dude.

12. pirieca

pirieca Member

[​IMG]

This Universal Works baseball jacket? I'm trying to diversify my colour scheme a bit, feel like the sleeves give a bit of pop against a more conservative background. I worry about versatility with my raws though. Thoughts?

13. juliettes

juliettes Active Member

do you like michigan?

1 person likes this.
  14. pirieca

pirieca Member

Unfortunately the other side of the world. Did just realise the colours match perfectly though.

15. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Well-Known Member

I don't think that coat is all that crazy of a jump for NN, but I do think it's a size too big everywhere, even with layering..

16. nicelynice

I think it's the sleeves (which are gonna get fixed) giving that effect - I could just button it up with my SNS stark under it (yes, I carried that around to try on coats. Yes, I'm a super weirdo)

1 person likes this.
  17. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Well-Known Member

@nicelynice

Definitely prefer the wool ramie over the other and harnden mac - I dont really like the short macs unless you already had a great long coat option. Kinda defeats the point of what you're after. Sizing wise it's really hard to tell, I have done the same on jackets before and as long as you're comfortable it's all that matters!

If you do ever find out about the fabrics let me know as I'd love to get my hands on some.

18. nicelynice

Against all sound advice, I think I'm gonna go with the wool/linen version after trying both again today. Any other jacket and I'd pick up the wool/ramie, it's such a beautiful fabric, but it's a bit flat and stiff compared to the spongy texture of the wool/linen, which helps gives the jacket a lot of shape. I want something voluminous and flowing rather than a sharply tailored. Though ramie shares a lot of similarities to linen, the wool/linen seems a bit more prone to creasing, which I hope will give the jacket a bit more of a casual air.

I'm actually going to be placing an order for it too because I'd prefer not to buy from a chain shop (only place it's available in this fabric/cut), so I'll be able to get it MTM. I'll take the sleeves up to my thumb knuckle and the shoulders in half an inch. I'll be sure to ask if he can share where he sourced the fabrics when I place my order

Really appreciate all the advice!!

I'll keep my eye out for this Taichi Murakami jacket from last year in the same wool/ramie fabric as well:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Should've got the C Lemaire :/

Enjoy your new coat!

Long coats are all great in general :slayer:

20. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Personally I think they both look awesome and the Kings Commandeer look is actually pretty fucking sweet.
    The wool/Ramie looks better in the close up but I too would go for the wool/linen simply because I think of wear it in a lot more situations and it seems a lots more versatile, and probably comfortable.
    As for "not fitting in" with other things you own like some people have said - who gives a shit. Sometimes looking wearing a bunch of disconnected pieces looks amazing, especially when each individual piece is as good as the coat.