1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

2. kubrick555

kubrick555 Well-Known Member

Neither. Save your cash for something you really want.

2 people like this.
  3. Isachenko

Isachenko Well-Known Member

I'd seriously consider it myself if the back and some of the front were oxblood instead. Side note, there' way too many webshops color saturating their images which seems like false advertising to me. How many people buy clothing and keep it when true color expectations aren't met?

Here's the Synthese Pope version of the jacket:

http://eboutique.maisonmartinmargiela.com/us/leather-jacket_cod41352439hp.html

Nothing wrong with volume in of itself, but personally the faux coat over coat designs on the bottoms is too gimicky for me.

4. hoodyear

hoodyear Well-Known Member

Not to be a pedant, but...

2 people like this.
  5. Jbravo

Jbravo Well-Known Member

Do you think these are any good? Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Isachenko

^
    First is too hobo, second too binary, third too micro-geometric.

7. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

You use the word gimmick an awful lot to describe design details. In some cases I understand why, but I think you overuse it as a criticism. Some things you call gimmicks are really just details you don't particularly like. Just sayin'...

8. thewho13

thewho13 Well-Known Member

Inconceivable!

2 people like this.
  9. Isachenko

Help me come up with the right word for a single jacket that looks like you're wearing two jackets then. I actually like the silhouette of this MMM not to be confused with its design aesthetic.

Quote: Not enough "community" in this post. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  10. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Well-Known Member

First is rad, hobo core is rad

11. pickpackpockpuck

Just a question: is the idea of a single jacket that looks like one jacket layered over another fundamentally flawed? Or is it that you just don't think this version works? This idea has been used by other designers (Raf Simons has done it, for instance), sometimes successfully and other times not. Why doesn't this version work? If it's the idea itself and you've really thought it out, then go ahead and call it a gimmick. You of course have the right to that opinion. If it's the execution that's the issue, then that's where you should focus your criticism.

edit: also a criticism like this

is non-sense. What's the right level of micro-geometry? Now, if you just say "I don't like it" then there's no debating that. But if you're going to try to offer a criticism of the design then at least make it about something real and not a made-up factor like the appropriate level of micro-geometry. I say all this because you offer your opinion A LOT, which is totally fine, but it's not always helpful, and it would be great if it were. :)

2 people like this.
  12. Jbravo

Jbravo Well-Known Member

Guys, what is your opinion on these shirts? I need a black shirt with a little twist, to wear with slightly faded blue jeans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Isachenko

Hobo core would be more authentic from your local thrift/charity shop and at pennies on the dollar.

Whether you're wearing one jacket pretending to be two jackets, or two jackets makes no difference. They both look pretentious to me. Raf reference is an appeal to authority fallacy regarding success (style, not financial) if you apply your own logic of my micro-geometric critique. All we ever do here is offer opinion, just mine's more empirical is all. [​IMG]

14. Diglet

Diglet Well-Known Member

first one would be pretty nice without the weird button in the middle; just looks different in a bad way

second one's collar is bad and i don't like how they use a different material for it

try out some Silent shirts, especially the Satilla

1 person likes this.
  15. Jbravo

Jbravo Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your view, Diglet.

16. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Well-Known Member

Who gives a shit about authenticity, we had this debate, wear no jeans but levis I guess

And your opinion is empirically correct? haha suck shit man

17. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Well-Known Member

18. Blackmaged

Blackmaged Well-Known Member

anyone know how to size these ann d derbies? i have a hunch it runs a size large (though ln-cc says otherwise)?

[​IMG]

19. pickpackpockpuck

That's my point though. You speak as if your opinion is more empirical, but it's really just an opinion, typically with no basis offered for it. I'm just saying you should give the basis of your opinion if there is one. Or just say you don't like it.

Also, I wasn't saying the idea was valid because Raf did it. That would be committing the fallacy you mentioned. I was just offering him as an example of someone else who'd done it. Personally I think pretty much every idea is valid. It's the execution I'm more interested in.

20. Isachenko

CIF (comprehension's fundamental).

[​IMG] This smilie is tongue in cheek. Surely a kindergarten kid could understand this without explanation?

@fireflygrave I'ma have Distorb report you for moderation, personal attacks are not allowed on the forum.