• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

bringatowel

Reaction score
Thoughts on these grey High Top Onitsuka Tigers? Are they wearable? If these are hideous or just not that great, what could you recommend in a similar price range? Also, if these are wearable, what size should I get? I'm a 7 in chucks, 7.5 in dress shoes, 8 in vans. Thanks!

itsmarcnotmark

Reaction score
Been wanting a pair of brouges to go with jeans, like the style on the left
[/URL]
I figured they might be Paul Smith's?
If so, would you pick this pair?
http://www.my-wardrobe.com/paul-smith-shoes/chocolate-miller-washed-brogue-by-paul-smith
or
http://www.stylebop.com/product_det...sus&siteID=J84DHJLQkR4-PYmXhhojXyzozsSpWSt_og
or
http://www.bertieshoes.com/catalogue/style.asp?y=0253-50637-0015&pc=83&r=61&g=109&s=274

I think the Braxtons closely resemble the picture of the brouges above, so if you're trying to get the closest look alike, those would be it.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the Braxtons closely resemble the picture of the brouges above, so if you're trying to get the closest look alike, those would be it.

Yea I think they are the braxtons. Anyone comment if they are worth the purchase? Did a bit of digging but nothing on its quality. Would prefer a better quality shoe that I could buy in the U.S. but I love that style. Was orignally going to go with the Mcallisters but feel they might be too formal for jeans...

Last edited:

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer longwings I think they work better w/ jeans and worn casually in that #menswear style. Florsheim makes decently cheap ones, I have some vtg 60s ones I found on eBay (UNUSED) that fit the bill

Also look closely at the braxtons and you'll see that the two curves on the broque detailing are not parallel, it might not matter to you, but I think its noticibly off.

Last edited:

emilo

Reaction score

Or

Which ones to go with shorts, jeans and chinoes (burgundy, navy, kahki)? I am notoriously indecisive.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or

Which ones to go with shorts, jeans and chinoes (burgundy, navy, kahki)? I am notoriously indecisive.

Firsthand advice:

Purchased the 2nd, GATlike pair while I was in london, returned them right away even though it cost me like $50 in the end to do so. Sole doesn't work at all with that shoe, everything was way too bulky. Just ordered the first pair, they're almost identical to Achilles. Go with the first, cheers

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Firsthand advice:
Purchased the 2nd, GATlike pair while I was in london, returned them right away even though it cost me like $50 in the end to do so. Sole doesn't work at all with that shoe, everything was way too bulky. Just ordered the first pair, they're almost identical to Achilles. Go with the first, cheers

see! you need us indecisive buyers/sellers! we are full of valuable information! (0)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well reedo hasn't received (and returned) the first pair yet so.... :lurk:

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well reedo hasn't received (and returned) the first pair yet so.... :lurk:

Ha no way I'm bothering with returns to Svensson again, will just sell here slightly cheaper if they don't work out. Cost me like $60+ with shipping to Sweden and eating initial shipping costs on the first pair :(

One of my biggest buy losses ever

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can't believe I've only just seen this now, the pattern and coloration are goddamn great. Whaddya guys think, would it fit my style?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads