• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I go to Art School?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i went to art school and it mostly gives you access to rich fucktards dedicated only to extending adolescence.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You don't seem to be a guy that orients around money or financial security, so why not?

I don't think it was intended, but this made me cringe.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it was, i should have stayed at upenn. instead I owe 50k and learned to paint with a sock.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5

I like making people cringe.

If you are into money and a good shot at financial success/security, you don't go to art school. Unless the Great Recession has so changed the social geography that I'm completely wrong and now it does?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5

Because of how true you know it is?

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should focus on night classes instead? That way you can focus on the classes you want to take and less on the ones you don't want/need.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
it was, i should have stayed at upenn. instead I owe 50k and learned to paint with a sock.

but didn't it work out in the end?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, but i graduated thinking the world was burning to buy my paintings and I had no job skills and it's a minor miracle that I am a moderate success (whatever that is)

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
MICA is so, so gay.

My little bro went to art school and today he is a practicing artist. He is a legit realist painter, and does portraits, landscapes and the like, and ekes out a living. I think he will eventually be successful, given some of the recognition he has garnered to this point. FWIW, he went to a top tier school I think considered even better than MICA, especially for more technical disciplines. He says art school is a giant waste of time. He later went through more academy type training which he says was far better than art school for the technical skills. He claims he was a better painter than all but one or two of his profs.

At art school you do a lit of theory learning and mental masturbation. Lots of focus as well on modernism. So for what he wanted, I think it was a waste. If you want gallery Fred though, it might be more useful. If you want access to tools, you may be able to do that cheaper, even at MICA, in a non-degrees fashion. As for getting a career in the arts, like a museum curatorship or something, you need a lot more education than just two years at MICA.

Ultimately, speaking professionally, it's not going to get you a lot. But I know you tend more towards modern stuff; which is definitely the focus, so at a minimum, you might at least enjoy it.

In spite of his views, my bro is currently angling for a professorship at MICA so at least you might help pay his salary.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Sell pot to make the tuition.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes. Art schools provide 1. technical equipments for your work 2. opportunities for display 3. potential affiliated market, alumni + community + internet venues 4. opportunities to network (with other artists) 5. opportunity to study nude models.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seriously do it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Probably not a good idea. But then again, that shouldn't really be a reason for you to decline.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads