1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Should I go to Art School?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Nouveau Pauvre, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Well-Known Member

Haha, I promised myself I wouldn't make any of these life advice threads but nothing else seems to be helping....

Minor context: I have a general studies associate degree from community college. I live in a city with a very good art school - so if I attended I would be able to keep up with my social/business network. I think my portfolio is good enough to get me in to most art schools (with the exception of European ones, or more design-oriented ones) but my budget is way below most art schools.

So Styleforum; should I go to art school?

2. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

No. It will make you no more an artist than an MBA makes a laypersons a financial genius

3. Nouveau Pauvre

No. It will make you no more an artist than an MBA makes a laypersons a financial genius

Probably a valid criticism. I don't want to go to "become an artist" though. I want to go so I have a degree in the field and higher eligibility for salaried jobs.

The most appealing thing about art school for me right now is the access it would give me to technology and apparatus necessary for more elaborate sculptural, electronic or interactive pieces. Also the technical know-how to use such.

4. Jekyll

Jekyll Well-Known Member

Could you do it without loans?

5. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

No No No No No No No No No No

6. Nouveau Pauvre

No. But I could probably finish in two years, effectively cutting tuition in half.

7. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

I'll elaborate. The best reason to go to art school is to learn the valuable life lesson that art school is a waste of money. Art schools are little more than excuses to concentrate hipsters in an urban area and to collect money from their rich parents to pay the wages of faculty members whose own art can't quite make a decent living on its own.

8. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Well-Known Member

+1 Also, how much does it cost?

9. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Probably a valid criticism. I don't want to go to "become an artist" though. I want to go so I have a degree in the field and higher eligibility for salaried jobs.

The most appealing thing about art school for me right now is the access it would give me to technology and apparatus necessary for more elaborate sculptural, electronic or interactive pieces. Also the technical know-how to use such.

to be contrarian:

I went to Art school for 5 years and ended up w 2 degrees. the reel i developed helped me get my first interview (which i got) and i haven't looked back. I know more people in my industry because of it and have had a decent amount of success as a result. however, i worked harder while in school than most ever will in their lives. if you're not prepared to do that then don't even bother. in the end, with art/design, if you're not the best, you're irrelevant.

in the end, school is school. if you treat it as a way to gain access to machines and tech that you wouldn't otherwise have, and don't squander that, it's worth it. if you want to go have a "college experience" you will be wasting a LOT of time and even more money.

all that crap said, if you want to be a "fine artist" dont waste the effort. if you want to go into a tech/design oriented field, be prepared to do what it will take. in school and every day after.

10. thekunk07

i went to art school and it mostly gives you access to rich fucktards dedicated only to extending adolescence.

11. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Sounds like my kind of place kunk.

12. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Sounds like my kind of place kunk.

ya. lots of homos coming out of the closet at art school.

13. Nouveau Pauvre

i went to art school and it mostly gives you access to rich fucktards dedicated only to extending adolescence.

Which one?

Also I don't disagree with anything you or Stephenhero said. I live a stone's throw from MICA and am very aware of the culture.

14. thekunk07

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

That's the beauty of student loans. Non-rich fucktards can now extend it too.

Magi, if that's your passion, go for it. You don't seem to be a guy that orients around money or financial security, so why not?

16. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Well-Known Member

You say that like it's a bad thing.

17. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

You don't seem to be a guy that orients around money or financial security, so why not?

I don't think it was intended, but this made me cringe.

18. thekunk07

it was, i should have stayed at upenn. instead I owe 50k and learned to paint with a sock.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I like making people cringe.

If you are into money and a good shot at financial success/security, you don't go to art school. Unless the Great Recession has so changed the social geography that I'm completely wrong and now it does?

20. Nouveau Pauvre

Because of how true you know it is?