1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Should i abandon this store after being insulted?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HeyYouItsMike, Oct 20, 2004.

1. HeyYouItsMike

HeyYouItsMike Well-Known Member

Okay, there's a shop in Manhattan I go to about once a month because they have great deals on shirts, ties, and some other items.  The salespeople are a little too pushy (apparently everything I try on looks absolutely perfect) and a bit annoying overall, but I put up with it for the deals.  However, last week when I went in, a salesguy told me in a semi-snobby tone that my sweater made my skin look pale .  Now I think he had a point, but I found his tone to be insulting.  So what do you guys think?  Should I bring by business elsewhere?   Or keep on getting the good deals in the store but just avoid him?

2. cuffthis

cuffthis Well-Known Member

I never let rude salespeople ruin my day or interrupt my shopping.

I find a polite "buzz off, jack" remark works best. With a smile, of course.

3. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Well-Known Member

Well, only you can judge whether the bargains are worth the annoyance -- it depends on your financial situation and tolerance level.  If you just tell them firmly right off the bat that you don't need any assistance, I can't believe they'd continue to hound you.  What store is it?

Also, if you want to have fun with those guys, if they ever use a rude tone in offering advice you disagree with, you could always give them the once over and say, "well... I don't think you and I have QUITE the same taste... but thank you."

4. dorian

dorian Well-Known Member

sooooooo.... what's the store's name? [​IMG]

5. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

It depends on how good the deals are... [​IMG]

6. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

Death by Lynchmob... [​IMG] But really, dont let it bother you. I hit Saks 5th Avenue yesterday to get some display ideas (Man the square footage...I am sick with envy) and overall I found the staff to be very willing to help, but every now and then you get someone rude to which I mentioned to my wife that its alays great to think that "Mister (or Madam), you WORK here. I SHOP here". Dont cut off your nose to spite your face. Let it slide. JJF

7. HeyYouItsMike

I just get aggravated because when I worked retail I went out of my treat people well and I think you should show your customers a certain level of respect.

I'm going to keep going to the store for now, I won't say which one unless they really piss me off.

On Saks Fifth Avenue - I've always gotten great help there, even when I made it clear that I wasn't buying, or could only afford sale items. If I ever attain the wealth to pay full price for clothes, I will give them some of my business. A friend told me they're doing a remodeling of the flagship store on 5th Ave, which will hopefully include the men's department

Barney's on the other hand has treated me like crap (though the Warehouse sale rocks). I bought a pair of jeans there one day and needed them hemmed (which would take about 2 minutes on a sewing machine). The salesgirl claimed it would take a minimum of 4 weeks to get the work done. I told them I was leaving for Paris in a week (which was true) and wanted the jeans for the trip, she still said no go. I then asked for a manager, at which point she said they would be done in 3 days. 4 weeks to 3 days? Huh?

Bloomingdales has been good, I like all the cute cheery girls they have around, and the sales staff actually listens to me when I say I don't need any help.

8. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Well-Known Member

At the risk of invoking the wrath of the politcally correct, that sounds like something only a certain type of gay guy could say properly; the once over adds extra bitchiness.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Ah, we get the same luck of salespeople here at the Saks in Boca. Some are helpful, while others, well Jon you put it best: simply work there. Yes, the flagship Saks is massive. Jon.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

A straight guy looks at the guy, gives him the once over, smirks, and says, "Right. Thanks." Not as cool as what the gay-gay guy could pull off, but it is still pretty satisfying.

11. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Well-Known Member

I think a better scenario would be:

Shop assistant: You look *awful* in that sweater, 'sir'.

Shopper (striking assistant on the chin): Shut up, clownshoes.

12. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Well-Known Member

You should bust his balls by saying .. "Whoa, thank you, that was the look I was going for, you know loney, poor, and desperate look.."

But who cares, if he make dumb comments like that just tell to shut up. Or tell him that you wish to talk to manager about him. Enjoy the discount deals .. Free country ..

13. HeyYouItsMike

It's always easy to come up with clever comebacks afterwards. I thought of saying something nasty but I didn't want to sink down to his level.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

You could always go back to the store, search him out, and say "Remember that time you said ....., well, ..... to you." That might be fun.

15. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Well-Known Member

I don't think you should say anything nasty. Kill him with kindness - something like "Oh, I'm sorry you don't like it", or "thanks for your opinion." Lets him know exactly how you feel about him while maintaining civility.

16. j

j Well-Known Member

Because it's always fun to think them up for others, here's a few clever comebacks:

"Pale? I am pale. I'm white. Is everyone who works in this store a racist?" (Last part said really loudly, assuming you are white).

"That jacket (or whatever he's wearing) makes you look like a pompous buffoon."

"My wife/mother just died of cancer. I guess I wasn't thinking when I got dressed."

(Headbutt) "You have blood on your shirt."

17. tsloop

tsloop Well-Known Member

When I used to go to Saks here in San Francisco I found that there were 2 sales people who always tended to ignore me, and when I would ask them for help they would usually just roll their eyes and reluctantly help me. At first it would get me pretty angry, until I realized that even if they aren't willing to help, there is always someone there who is, so now when I go in it doesn't even bother me, I ignore them and look around to find one of the poeple that I know will be willing to spend a little bit of their time with me.

18. petescolari

petescolari Well-Known Member

I wouldn't sweat it. Obviously, the salesman wasn't very tactful in making his point, regardless if he was right or not. I could imagine a comment like that being correct if you were trying the sweater on and thinking of purchasing it.

Probably everyone on this board has been treated impolitely a few times. Most likely it wasn't your first time and it won't be your last. My advice is to find the best sales clerk in the store, explain what your preferences are and that you buy often (monthly in your case). Introduce yourself, call him/her by their name. Try to deal with this person, that way you won't have 10 different critics/salespeople approaching you.

19. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Well-Known Member

Say "Thanks for noticing, I appreciate your advice. Maybe you could pull out a few of the sale items that should work better. Also would be kind enough to pull out a few pieces that I should stay away from - just to illustrate your point".

Basically engage him, esp if he is a snazzy dresser. If he is snotty, fulfill his need for affirmation/approval. He may surprise you by letting you know what useful stuff is going on sale on particular days etc.

-

20. Styleman

Styleman Well-Known Member

Or just "Well boss, do you really think an east-end guv like me is gonna buy anything anyway, just try and get ur Yardies on me."