• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short ties - 56" and under

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

SkinnyT,

I understand your search, sadly you are not going to find a luxury conservative tie in the price range that you are talking about unless the tie is on sale or used.

Some thoughts:

1) The quality of the silk in that website won't be anywhere near the silk that you like in the photos. The silk will be more like the Tie Bar ties and will most likely be low grade Chinese silk.

2) If you are price sensitive try the last tie in your list as it is the closest to what you like.

3) If you are very lucky the length may work for you but as mentioned in this thread there are a number of variables for length not just height. Just as there are a number of variables in construction and silk quality.

Good luck with your search.

SkinnyT

Reaction score

SkinnyT,

I understand your search, sadly you are not going to find a luxury conservative tie in the price range that you are talking about unless the tie is on sale or used.

Some thoughts:

1) The quality of the silk in that website won't be anywhere near the silk that you like in the photos. The silk will be more like the Tie Bar ties and will most likely be low grade Chinese silk.

2) If you are price sensitive try the last tie in your list as it is the closest to what you like.

3) If you are very lucky the length may work for you but as mentioned in this thread there are a number of variables for length not just height. Just as there are a number of variables in construction and silk quality.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for your comments. I am not looking for luxury, just decent ties that look good and shorter than average.I understand that construction and quality won't be amazing,but I still dont understand how a silk tie can simply 'look' cheap.

Alex Hayes

Reaction score
Like with all things, you get what you pay for to a point. They look okay now, in the picture, but the silks will be lower quality the overall build will be lower quality (leading to a likely shorter life). I'm a huge fan of going pre-owned when on a budget. You get excellent quality at a very affordable price. I'd definitely try eBay.

If you get a good quality tie and a cheap one next to each other you will see the difference. Cheap ones will look more dull, will tie worse knots, the printing will not be that great which contributes to the "dull" silk. (When I say dull, I just mean the colors are not as saturated and high quality. Like the difference between cheap and artist quality oil paints) And like I said, the cheap tie will look worse after much less wearing time than the good ones.

Last edited:

chippneckwear

Reaction score
For all those looking for shorter ties, I am 5'8"and I feel your pain. Any of the ties on the chippneckwear.com site can be shortened to the length you want. Ties can be "blunt cut and bound" at no extra cost, or can be re-cut to a point for a $15 charge. The great majority of those who have requested that I shorten a tie opt for the blunt cut - when you put the tail of the tie through the label and pin it to your shirt no one can see it.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors/ www,chippneckwear.com

babaczh

Reaction score
I have been searching everywhere - brick n mortar and online - for ties suitable for shorter men like me. I would like to be able to tie a four in hand knot, which is impossible when you're only 5'8" and the tie is  60" long. I am forced to tie a windsor, which in my opinion only suits tall and big men.

Is there anyone who does short ties and which don't cost 100 dollars?

I have a new bespoke necktie company ghada stockholm which are handmade in Napoli DM or send me a email contact at ghadastockholm. Se

babaczh

Reaction score
I have been searching everywhere - brick n mortar and online - for ties suitable for shorter men like me. I would like to be able to tie a four in hand knot, which is impossible when you're only 5'8" and the tie is  60" long. I am forced to tie a windsor, which in my opinion only suits tall and big men.

[/quote[/B][/B]

babaczh

Reaction score
I have a new started necktie company ghada stockholm which are handmade in Napoli DM

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Sam Hober can meet your requirements - and certainly don't cost $100

Hsvatt

Reaction score
I have been searching everywhere - brick n mortar and online - for ties suitable for shorter men like me. I would like to be able to tie a four in hand knot, which is impossible when you're only 5'8" and the tie is 60" long. I am forced to tie a windsor, which in my opinion only suits tall and big men.

Beau Ties Ltd of Vermont; https://www.beautiesltd.com/

They carry an XL boys' tie in all styles that is 54 inches long, measured from the top fold to the bottom fold, so from tip to tip they are a little longer, and 3 inches wide.

Queequeg

Reaction score
I prefer short ties as well (at 5' 7" standard tie lengths don't look good on the higher-waisted trousers I often wear). I get my ties from Brooklyn Tailors, shorterties.com, and have a few that were made custom from Shibumi.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads