1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shopping in Napoli

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by UK2004, Jan 11, 2011.

1. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Well-Known Member

I was in Naples during the summer, stayed in kind of a bad part of town, mountains of garbage, with Italian special forces road blocks everywhere. I felt safe just about everywhere, but the train station after dark was creepy as there was poor lighting and everyone looked like the wanted to hurt me, lol. On the good side of town there were some very well dressed people, and some of the best gelaterias in all of italy. I don't know what it is ,but there is something magical about Naples, definitely going back one day(hopefully comming home with a tailored attolini...)

2. blackdice

blackdice Well-Known Member

How was your experience at Merolla? Do you speak Italian? What is the pricing? How many fittings did you do?

Overall I am very satisfied with my experience with Merolla.
    They are the only shirt maker that I contacted in Naples who could turn around the trial shirt within 24 hours.

The pricing is in the region of 200-250 euros, depending on the fabric you choose (there's 50 euros surcharge on Carlo Riva fabrics) and they have an impressively wide range of fabrics from the top-tier mills.

I had no issue communicating with them even though I don't speak Italian at all; what would be best however is to articulate all the details you want in Italian upfront to make sure that you get all the right details.

Their shop is just 1 minute's walk from Finamore store (and 5-10 mins from Rubinacci / Cappelli) so very easy to get around, too.

3. blackdice

A bit unrelated, but what is he going rate for a two-piece bespoke suit from a mid-level tailor in Naples?

My "local" tailor in Naples charges around 1,000 - 1,300 euros for a 2 piece suit.
    I made a very decent 2 piece suit with a Cacioppoli s150's fabric and I paid 1,100 euros.
    Given that the trousers are made by Mora and the jacket is fully hand made, I think it's very reasonable.

4. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Well-Known Member

My "local" tailor in Naples charges around 1,000 - 1,300 euros for a 2 piece suit.
    I made a very decent 2 piece suit with a Cacioppoli s150's fabric and I paid 1,100 euros.
    Given that the trousers are made by Mora and the jacket is fully hand made, I think it's very reasonable.

Do you have any photos that you wouldn't mind sharing with us?

-LR

5. blackdice

Do you have any photos that you wouldn't mind sharing with us?

-LR

I don't, but will try to take some pictures over the weekend.

6. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Well-Known Member

I don't, but will try to take some pictures over the weekend.

Thanks. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

-LR

7. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

Any updates? Any sales going on still in late August / early September?