1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shopping in LA

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LeatherSOUL, Mar 23, 2009.

1. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

urgh.. Roscoes. Is there more than one? I've only been to the one on Lake.

There's one in Long Beach, the one on Gower/Hollywood, the one on Pico(?), I think there's another 1 or 2.

2. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks guys.

Yes, I've been to Pink's a few years ago and I will not be back. [​IMG]

3. Maharlika

Maharlika Well-Known Member

On Melrose between Fairfax and La Cienega there are several intersting stores, including the RRL store, Paul Smith, APC, Duncan Quinn and some others I'm forgetting. RRL is really the only one that interests me but it might be worth your while to see the others.

Baron-- I'm not aware of an RRL store around Melrose/Fairfax/La Cienega area. The only RRL store I know of is the one located in Malibu. Are you talking about HTC? It would be great if they have one in L.A.

4. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

Baron-- I'm not aware of an RRL store around Melrose/Fairfax/La Cienega area. The only RRL store I know of is the one located in Malibu. Are you talking about HTC? It would be great if they have one in L.A.

They do, it opened up a few months ago.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ght=RRL+review

5. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

Carroll & Co in Beverly Hills: safe, boring, high quality merchandise.
    Excellent, knowledgeable service. In terms of style it's no
    Paul Stuart. Not much natural shoulder clothing.

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

If you should for some reason make the trip down to Orange County and South Coast Plaza, you might also want to go over to Fashion Island and check out Gary's. I would say Gary's and Carroll & Co. are in close competition for being the two best independent men's stores in Greater LA. There is also a Neiman-Marcus in Fashion Island, but I don't it would offer anything that you couldn't find in the Beverly Hill Neiman's, which will be much nearer where you are staying.

Other than Gary's and the JLP store in South Coast Plaza, I don't think you will find much in high end men's retail that you can't find in the immediate vicinity of Rodeo Drive.

Somebody mentioned Beverly Center as a possibility. I haven't been in there in years. I have always had the impression that there was anything much there to attract an afficionado of high-end menswear. Am I mistaken in this?

7. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

if you dont want to run into me, dont go to South Coast.

it is the premier place to shop in the orange county area and even perhaps most of LA.

there ist he Fashion Island nearby as well.

8. LeatherSOUL

if you dont want to run into me, dont go to South Coast.

it is the premier place to shop in the orange county area and even perhaps most of LA.

there ist he Fashion Island nearby as well.

I'd love to run into you Shoe.

9. sho'nuff

I'd love to run into you Shoe.

uh oh..

10. sho'nuff

Pink's is not that bad. it is ok if you want some junky but tasty hot dog to eat.

certainly not worth waiting 1 hour in line for, and parking is terrible.

what i didnt get was when i was there once, i saw a couple order each: two chili dogs, large chili cheese fries and XL coke (44 oz looks like)

for each. i didnt get it. how do you shovel all that junk into your stomach? i got sick after seeing that and never went back.

11. LeatherSOUL

Pink's is not that bad. it is ok if you want some junky but tasty hot dog to eat.

certainly not worth waiting 1 hour in line for, and parking is terrible.

what i didnt get was when i was there once, i saw a couple order each: two chili dogs, large chili cheese fries and XL coke (44 oz looks like)

for each. i didnt get it. how do you shovel all that junk into your stomach? i got sick after seeing that and never went back.

That's the reason why I don't ever want to go back. I had a chili dog w/chili and cheese fries. I still feel sick thinking about it. [​IMG]

12. startac_fan

startac_fan Member

South Coast Plaza, which has been talked about frequently enought in this thread, doesn't offer any unique store over those already mentioned at the upscale shopping districts in LA. The Nordstrom at SCP is bigger than most of its kind. I must say SCP and the shops in the surrounding area is enough to satisfy all but the most discriminating tastes.

For a youth oriented shopping experience, I recommend travelling a little further down the 405 to the Irvine Spectrum, an open air mall.

Fashion Island at nearby Newport Beach is also an open air shopping mall and a mini-Rodeo Drive. Plenty of free parking at the suburban locations of course.

13. JimInSoCalif

JimInSoCalif Well-Known Member

If you go to Carroll & Co on Canon Dr. in BH, I suggest that you ask for J.B. to assist you - great guy.

It is about two blocks east of BB and there is limited parking in the alley in the back of the store.

Back in the old days, they were a great Trad store, but I don't think they have had a sack suit there in 20 years. I buy my MTM Samualsohn suits there and my Alden shoes. I guess you don't need a store for the latter. [​IMG]

14. sweep

sweep Well-Known Member

For a youth oriented shopping experience, I recommend travelling a little further down the 405 to the Irvine Spectrum, an open air mall.

I don't think I'd bother with the Spectrum - it's a bland piece of suburbia. But if you're around SCP, you may want to check out The Lab, which bills itself the "Anti-Mall", and the other youth/alternative shops in the area. The area is small, but hipster-ish: http://www.thelab.com/directions.html