1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoes: Your most complimented pair of shoes (that youre not afraid to wear regularly)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Nov 26, 2010.

1. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Well-Known Member

It's been my experience that if one is 25 and under, any shoe that isn't a sneaker (whether vanity sneaker or not) gets at the very least noticed. I too agree that brogues and brown shoes get most compliments. This isn't surprising since most people think shiny black shoes are the only kind you can wear to dress formally.

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

How much, may i ask?

40 pounds. Honestly, at 190 pounds for the whole deal, still the best money I have spent on a pair of shoes.

3. Metlin

Metlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Here is a pic. Yet again, it appears longwings in chestnut will get you compliments. Brogues seem to be the most bang for your buck!
    Those aren't long-wings.

I believe SM is correct here. Here's an old SF thread that I had saved up when I was uncertain of the difference myself. Rather useful, I'd imagine.
    The details are slightly different (i.e. the toe cap wraps all the way around the shoe, hence the name). [​IMG] as opposed to [​IMG] Also, longwings tend to have double soles and are generally heavy, not-at-all-sleek shoes, which is why they're sometimes referred to as "gunboats". Also they're usually bluchers, meaning they have open lacing rather than closed lacing as on an oxford (also visible in the pictures).
    The wings are almost always elongated also notice the difference.

4. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Well-Known Member

Stop trying to cover up your ignorance by pretending you meant something else. You said "yet again...longwings...will get you compliments", while quoting an image of a shoe. What possible reason could you have for that sentence other than thinking that the shoe is a long-wing?

And I mean...if you can't tell what are khakis and what aren't, then it's not so hard to believe that you can't tell the difference between a long-wing and a wing-tip.

Don't be so harsh on Reevolving. Tits, navels, khakis, trousers, longwings, shortwings - whatever! He also doesn't know the difference between leather and wood:

In that last picture of the Veblens, if you said those were $40 Rockports, people would make note of the cheap looking corrected grain leather.

I love stacked wooden heels, but it may be a bit much going all the way around.
    I suppose that's why Veblen is a brilliant name for a luxury shoe, by the way.

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

He also doesn't know the difference between leather and wood:

I love stacked wooden heels,

That is rich pebblegrain [​IMG] The comments and back pedaling are some of the finest I've come across here [any elsewhere, for that matter].

6. Reevolving

Reevolving Well-Known Member

7. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

Love the Vash B'pester! [​IMG]

+1

8. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Well-Known Member

If you ever want a man's body, PM me.

Oh man, so sigworthy. Thank you, Dwight.

9. Don Carlos

In all seriousness, though, I'll play along.

Interestingly, an old pair of beaten-to-shit Gucci bit loafers gets me more compliments than any other pair of shoes I've ever worn, and particularly from women. Of course, it's primarily because the bit pattern is instantly recognizable as "Gucci" to most chicks. My many pairs of far nicer, far more expensive, and far better cared for shoes will get the occasional -- amd I mean very occasional -- notice or compliment. But the old Guccis get 'em every time.

The shoes actually do look pretty cool, especially with their patina. But I doubt that's the sole, or even primary reason for the love they receive. People in this country have been trained to look for a label or a brand marker before looking for anything else.

10. Don Carlos

Discussion that yielded data-driven recommendations....

Lolwut?

Where are the numbers in this thread? Your sample size is what, like, 5?

11. EBugatti

EBugatti Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, though, I'll play along.

Interestingly, an old pair of beaten-to-shit Gucci bit loafers gets me more compliments than any other pair of shoes I've ever worn, and particularly from women. Of course, it's primarily because the bit pattern is instantly recognizable as "Gucci" to most chicks. My many pairs of far nicer, far more expensive, and far better cared for shoes will get the occasional -- amd I mean very occasional -- notice or compliment. But the old Guccis get 'em every time.

The shoes actually do look pretty cool, especially with their patina. But I doubt that's the sole, or even primary reason for the love they receive. People in this country have been trained to look for a label or a brand marker before looking for anything else.

+1. I have the exact same experience. My old Gucci horse-bit loafers (both my basic black and dark brown suede) get regular praise (from women). My EGs? Lobbs? C&Js? Never.

12. audiophilia

audiophilia Well-Known Member

Easy, JM Weston Flore monk in oxblood.
    Runner up, interestingly, is a relatively inexpensive pair of Loding brogues in chili -- far more than my Testoni, Santoni, Canali, etc...

13. Trifon

Trifon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Only had these a couple or so months and have already had countless compliments and a few have placed orders with Cheaney.

What Cheaney last are these made on? I have Herring Langdale boots by Cheaney on the 175 last, but are these on the same or some other?

14. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Since I only wear black shoes the average person doesn't tend to notice them as much. That said the only shoes with the smallest bit of color have gotten the most compliments:

[​IMG]

16. pdial

pdial Well-Known Member

What Cheaney last are these made on? I have Herring Langdale boots by Cheaney on the 175 last, but are these on the same or some other?

These are on the 175 last as well.

17. trader

trader Well-Known Member

These [​IMG]
    I've never been complimented on these. Only the once "why are you wearing felt shoes?" comment =/ English shoes get no love in the real world. Most complimented are CJ Lowndes or JL Luffield in chestnut museum.

18. jdldore

jdldore Well-Known Member

I do not receive regular compliments on my shoes. The two that have received recent compliments are a pair of shoes I do not wear very often, but which my assistant loves -- Moreschi Baltimore in brown -- and a pair of EG Robertsbridge in burnt pine. WRT the latter, our GC stopped me in the hall the other day and said, "I like those shoes. They remind me of a pair my father wore." If he were the sarcastic sort, I would have assumed that was not a compliment.
    [​IMG]

19. srivats

srivats Well-Known Member

My alden shell bals:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

I've never been complimented on these. Only the once "why are you wearing felt shoes?" comment =/

English shoes get no love in the real world. Most complimented are CJ Lowndes or JL Luffield in chestnut museum.

Depends on your real world then, I guess.