1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoes: Who makes what for whom.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by von Rothbart, Apr 19, 2006.

1. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Well-Known Member

who makes cantarelli shoes?
    Thanks!

2. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

Who makes Isaia? Thanks

3. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

Up to a few years ago, Sutor Mantellassi was making them.

4. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

Thanks Monty-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  5. Von Franz

Von Franz Well-Known Member

Purdey has some boots and a couple of shoes made for them by Crockett & Jones.

I particularly like their version of the Coniston, which comes in a darker brown than the standard C&J varieties, and the grain leather brogue boot they seem to have based on the Islay (but which is on the much more becoming 325 last). More detailed discussion, plus pictures, can be found in this thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/227575/quintessential-crockett-jones-thread/5610

Unfortunately, their prices look like they've just been raised pretty recently. Still not a terrible deal for either model, though.

Also, if memory serves, Paul Stuart has shoes made for them by Alfred Sargent, Cheaney, and Sanders.

The Sargents are really nice-- made approximately to their Exclusive standards, but a little less pricey. 724 last, mainly. Good value, especially when on sale. .

Cheaney makes a version of what looks like their "Irvine" model for PS, which is a chunky, Commando-soled two-tone boot lined at least partially with shearling.

Sanders appears to have allowed PS to rebrand their crepe-soled dirty buck ("Archie"). Wish they'd send over the red brick version ("Jack"), too.

Aside from those brands, some people seem to think Carmina is behind PS's Spanish-made shoes, but I'm not sure how true that is.

Anyone know/care to elucidate?

-VF

6. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

C&J makes for Paul Stuart too:

Westfield = Westbourne
    Preston = Exmoor
    Earl = Monkton
    Mervin = Merton

Probably others as well.

7. Von Franz

Von Franz Well-Known Member

Aha.
    Thanks for the info.

-VF

8. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago I asked the shoe guy in the NYC store if the PS Newbury was by Carmina and he said no. I tried to get the manufacturer out of him and he just said it was a very small producer and I wouldn't have heard of them before. Fair enough. It's possible Carmina makes other Spanish made shoes for them but they definitely don't make the Newbury anyway.

Since then I've learned that Juan Laceral makes the Spanish shoes for Paul Evans, including models such as the Cagney which feature folded seams like the PS Newbury does. Impossible to know without directly comparing them, but I've wondered if Juan Laceral might make shoes for PS too. I'm not sure how common folded seams are in Spanish made shoes but the quality looks similar.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014