1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoe trees

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Texmo, Jul 28, 2011.

1. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

If your shoes are really wet, you are far better off stuffing newspaper in them for a while, and not putting your shoe trees until later. Actually newspaper does a reasonable job full stop, if you don't have any trees. You will also find plenty of people insisting that you need a shoe-tree for every shoe, but my dad (and most people I know of his generation who kept their shoes going for decades), only ever had one or two pairs, which he used for the few hours after he took off any pair of shoes and then for the next, and so on...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

Jos A Bank has sales pretty frequently. I usually get them at half off ($12.50 per pair) but they sometimes have a "buy one get two free" so it was $25 for three pairs :slayer:

These are pretty good quality too, nice rounded heel. They do say JAB though :p

3. Mimosa

Mimosa Well-Known Member

As long as there is still some "spring" left in the compression of the shoe tree as it enters the shoe, then you should be OK. What you want to avoid is "shoe horning" in a shoe tree that is too long for the shoe.

Mim

4. musicguy

musicguy Well-Known Member

Sometimes Costco carries them. Not sure if they've had any for years though.

http://www.cedarvillestore.com/default.aspx is a good option if you don't want to wait.

5. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

If you have a Nordstrom Rack near you, you can get the Woodlore Combination shoe tree for around $14.

6. Dinosarti

Dinosarti Well-Known Member

Try "One Cedar Lane". They can be found easily on google and specialize in cedar shoe trees and other cedar stuff. They apppear to manufacture for all the big boys to put their name on them. They also often have free engraving. For $20 a tree, I got an awesome spring loaded, split toe tree with my name carved into the cedar at the opening of the shoe. A very big-timer move. :slayer:

7. Stony32

Stony32 Well-Known Member

+1 on the JAB 3 for 1 deal. With shipping, it comes to about $10/pair. And as far as I can tell, they are the Woodlore full toe, which AE also sells here: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF604_1_40000000001_-1

[​IMG]

8. tv2177

tv2177 Well-Known Member

allen edmonds has their shoe trees on sale for $19.99 with free shipping. go for it!

9. Stony32

Stony32 Well-Known Member

Same trees for $12.50 at JAB.

10. bjornb17

bjornb17 Well-Known Member

DSW has some pretty decent ones, they are split toe with springs. Normally about $15/pair but the last pair I bought rang up for $6.50.

11. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

I tried DSW a few weeks ago and they didn't even have any. Strange for a shoe store.

12. phillycheese

phillycheese Well-Known Member

I have 5+ yr old shoes that were never supported by shoe trees until recently. After only a few times with the shoe trees, the deep creases have actually become less deep. Imagine if I put trees into them from the very beginning, the creases would be shallower. I became a believer in cedar shoe trees. I buy the three piece ones (two piece front as well as full heel) with a brass knob to help carry the shoes without touching the leather. They come in sizes for every 2 full shoe sizes, so they fit my shoes very well. Not name brand as I just buy them from the cobbler.

13. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Well-Known Member

Great! Thankfully I always remember to put it in the next morning.

All my shoes have shoe trees of various lineage - not sure what wood and have a plastic one