• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Shopping in Taiwan

barky

Reaction score
Thanks Chogall. Will try to drop by next time I'm in Taipei. Prices are surprisingly on the high side even compared to Japan.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Who did Mr. Cook worked for?  I know he's one of the older generation shoemakers thats passing down the crafts.

Mr.Cook worked for Henry Maxwells, John Lobb St.James, and Trickers, before going independent in 1994.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This past weekend in Hsingchu city, there was a large shoe-fans get-together / meeting, organized by Mr.Wang of Timeless Fashions (the distributor of G&G in Taiwan)

More than 60 pairs of fine shoes have gathered (from local shoe owners and collectors). Aldens, Cleverly, CJ, EG, JLP, G&G, St.Crispins,....most of them unavailable in Taiwan.

and of course, Taiwan`s very own Turnright shoes were among them :slayer:

wished I had been there, but transportation would have been a problem :facepalm:

from Gentry Men`s Fashion forum

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This past weekend in Hsingchu city, there was a large shoe-fans get-together / meeting, organized by Mr.Wang of Timeless Fashions (the distributor of G&G in Taiwan)

More than 60 pairs of fine shoes have gathered (from local shoe owners and collectors). Aldens, Cleverly, CJ, EG, JLP, G&G, St.Crispins,....most of them unavailable in Taiwan.

and of course, Taiwan`s very own Turnright shoes were among them :slayer:

wished I had been there, but transportation would have been a problem :facepalm:

from Gentry Men`s Fashion forum

I only wish Hong Kong has a similar gathering.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I only wish Hong Kong has a similar gathering.

That would be quite a sight..... I know some of our fellow Hong Kong based SF members have quite a collection of fine shoes..... (yourself included of course :D)

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a thread about shopping for expensive luxury shoes in Asia? If you got the money got for it.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That would be quite a sight..... I know some of our fellow Hong Kong based SF members have quite a collection of fine shoes..... (yourself included of course :D)

Thats a very nice compliment. However, time is precious as gold in Hong Kong.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The reason you have this kind of gathering in Taiwan is because not as many of us like it, but just enough to form a small core group. At least that would be my guess.

Oh and I definitely need to talk to my father when I go back next time, keep forgetting about it. He gets his shoes made (bespoke to the extent that last is his, but styling is usually copy something else) for about 1~1.5K USD? Though the guy is pretty much retired (not taking new clients), and the style of his stuff looks more close to your Vass P2/Badupast (without the high wall) than the English favored here. My dad keep calling him 蕭師傅, I think he is not too far away from 松山機場, in any case he is also one of those no email/website guys, his shop is probably the size of a large bathroom in America, the shop looks old in the way that resemble Moulded Shoe in NYC.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The reason you have this kind of gathering in Taiwan is because not as many of us like it, but just enough to form a small core group. At least that would be my guess.

Oh and I definitely need to talk to my father when I go back next time, keep forgetting about it. He gets his shoes made (bespoke to the extent that last is his, but styling is usually copy something else) for about 1~1.5K USD? Though the guy is pretty much retired (not taking new clients), and the style of his stuff looks more close to your Vass P2/Badupast (without the high wall) than the English favored here. My dad keep calling him 蕭師傅, I think he is not too far away from 松山機場, in any case he is also one of those no email/website guys, his shop is probably the size of a large bathroom in America, the shop looks old in the way that resemble Moulded Shoe in NYC.

Since most of the nicer shoes aren`t available here, there seems to be lots of happy sharing (show&tell) going on. :)
I`ve talked with Mr.Wang (who happens to have the sole distribution right to G&G shoes), and he seems like a real shoe enthusiast before being a businessman.

If Xiao shifu makes shoes that look like Vass, I think that`s a very good sign. Some local shoemaking `shifu` I know here make shoes with lasts that look like `block heads`

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Since most of the nicer shoes aren`t available here, there seems to be lots of happy sharing (show&tell) going on. :)
I`ve talked with Mr.Wang (who happens to have the sole distribution right to G&G shoes), and he seems like a real shoe enthusiast before being a businessman.

If Xiao shifu makes shoes that look like Vass, I think that`s a very good sign. Some local shoemaking `shifu` I know here make shoes with lasts that look like `block heads`

Look like the old school Vass (and without channel insole), not the Italian or English, i.e. U/R/K/F etc. I'm pretty sure he is self taught, or maybe apprentice under one of the older generation who learn the craft during Japanese colonial time

Last edited:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Visiting Liu Yi Dao, Master Shoemaker

I had a chance to visit the store of Master Shoemaker Liu Minglong 劉明龍, aka Liu Yi Dao 劉一刀 (Liu the Knife). He seems to be well known in Taiwan, and the media often touts him as a `National Treasure`, so he must be something. Saw him very briefly in person (he had to go somewhere), but his wife/store manager was gracious enough to guide me through his works.

Liu Yi Dao shoes are all marketed as `handmade` shoes 手工皮鞋, but I realized the phrase is used everywhere, and it only means that it`s high quality. The shoes are probably hand lasted but machine bottomed. His high end shoes cost 7900 NTD ($260 USD).

Shoes are sold under the brand name Rodice, or Chaochun in Chinese. The banner reads `Liu Yi Dao Handmade Shoes`

Single monks

Wingtips

Sharkshin

I have no idea what those pipings are, but apparently a marker for high quality (so I was told)

Ostrich leg. There were plenty of exotics in the lineup.

The sole with half closed channel.

The store is located on the busy Changchun street, but the workshop/factory is located at the outskirt of the city.

台北市松山區長春路420號
Changchun Road #420
Shongshan District
Taipei City

Liu Yi Dao Homepage

A TV show featuring Liu shifu, enjoy!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Verniza

Reaction score
Wish this thread came up before my trip to Taiwan.

I was hoping to find some local shoemakers but left disappointed.

I did however, visit some of the RTW boutiques in Taipei. Needless to say I'm better off ordering from the forum affiliates.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That leather look kind awful, though for 260 guess can't ask for much..., or maybe it's just way too much wax?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads