1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoe question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jcusey, Jul 13, 2004.

1. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

What do you call it when the throat of the shoe runs all the way back to the heel? For an example, take a look at shoe #1 in this picture from the GJ Cleverley website: [​IMG]

2. AJL

AJL Well-Known Member

deep throat...? [​IMG]

3. shoefan

shoefan Well-Known Member

I don't know that it has a specific name, per se. Most names seem to apply to the toe treatment. I've seen and own a pair of "long-wing tips" from BB/Alden which has a somewhat similar look, except that the perfing extends all the way along the shoe from a wing-tip toe, rather than from the front of the throat, i.e. similar to the styling of the old double-soled, heavy (battleship weight) oxfords and bluchers from the 50's and 60's. Since there are many ways to decorate the quarters, they don't seem to have separate names that I know of.

4. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

I call it "gorgeous".

koji

5. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

Here in England, it's either called a "Balmoral" or a "Galoshes Oxford". (I know in the States a "Balmoral" is what you call in English an "Oxford"). Samples by John Lobb: [​IMG] or Edward Green's "Gladstone": [​IMG] or the boot version "Shannon" [​IMG]

6. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

I particularly like the EG model (big surprise).

koji

7. T4phage

T4phage Well-Known Member

I agree with Bengal-Stripe. If you have the current Cleverley catalogue, look at shoe #17, which is described as a Balmoral.