1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoe horse (whore?)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by norcaltransplant, Nov 21, 2003.

1. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

Some nice choices on the Westons. I just picked up a pair of black croco Weston loafers for resale, they are GREAT looking shoes.

I don't know actually. I had an annoying experience about a year ago in the Saks shoe department, brought on by a VERY snotty junior salesman. Perhaps Mr. Issa is still there and has fired the aforementioned salesman. I'll have to give them another go-around and let you know.

2. T4phage

T4phage Well-Known Member

Yes, pretty nice aren't they.. Now all I have to do is to wait 12 weeks until mine are ready.

I'm sorry to hear of your poor experience at Saks. I was always assisted by Mr. Issa when I went there. He is really a great guy, very knowledgable concerning the foot. When I first met him, all he had to do was look at my foot and tell me my size.., plus he knew correctly that my left foot was smaller than my right just by looking at my shoe.. And this was when I was still a student and not so well off, he gave me a lot of his time and attention even when I was just purchasing during the sale.

3. jrh

jrh Well-Known Member

Oh my:

I thought I had a pathological shoe issue.

Let me just say way too much info for me.

Have not seen White's Boots, WESCO, J B Hill, Russell Mocs., or Mesphisto on your lists. Yus guys is missing out on great stuff. WESCO recently made the Paris Runways.

Does any one know much of Trickers, particulary the Stow Boots? I am interested in sizing as their width sizes are different. Please compare to Edward Green or J M Weston.

A page from Andy's Web mentioned Russell's Mocs. Anyone have experinece here?

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

Well, maybe not many of us are country boys at heart.  

Tricker's uses numbers and not letters to indicate width (don't know why): 5 = E; 6 = F. Mind you, they are pretty big all over, so a Tricker's 5 = E will be the equivalent of an Edward Green F.

Alternatively get the old knitting needles out and start knitting a pair of country hoses. (Edward VII liked his big socks even with loafers, so he got his Wildsmith loafers oversized.)

5. jrh

jrh Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info on Trickers sizing. Do you care to comment on the quality and manufacturing of Trickers vs EG. I have pairs of EG's and know them well.

You city slickers need some fresh air. I am forth generation native New Yorker (City) gone country.  Surly you have retreats from the city madness.

Bye the bye,  the American Cowboy is a classic, beloved worldwide.  The boots by Whites  and  WESCO are Western American Classics, but related to the lumber industry and industrial past.  Both handmade and can be custom. Whites are incredibly comfortable. The Harness boots by WESCO have Civil War roots via perhaps Abe Lincoln (now seen as motorcycel boots).  JB Hill Cowboy Boots are to revial any cobblers work and are like wearing slippers.

The functional heritage of these boots is no less then the British country shoes, which have made a gentleman out of many a would be Anglo-file. The Cowboy has made a poet out of many a man. Poet or English gentleman, I say the more the better, worldwide. Open your heart and be moved by the likes of John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Clint.

Can you tell me much about John Partridge? Their country coats are to die for.

6. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

Painful revival, and shoe update to my own wardrobe. My girlfriend decided to intervene this weekend and kept me from browsing Dunhill for clothes and Asprey for possible shoes discounts. I think it was a wise move. An update to my original thread. Three years later:

1) Allen Edmonds x1
    2) Alden (for Brooks Brothers) x1
    3) Crockett and Jones x16
    (includes Brooks Brothers/Peal, Dunhill, Polo/RL, and Tom James)
    4) Edward Green x6
    5) John Lobb Paris x 2
    6) Lidfort x 2
    7) Grenson x 4 (for Paul Stuart)
    8) Church's x2
    9) Peluso x1
    10) Gravati x1
    11) Santoni Fatte a Mano x1
    12) Moreschi x1
    13) A. Testoni x1
    14) Mantellassi x1
    15) Bally x1
    16) Ferragamo x1
    17) Tod's x2

And expecting one pair of New & Lingwood. I hope they fit.

So that makes a total of 44 pairs of dress shoes prior to the addition of the New & Lingwoods. I think my goal is maintain the collection below 50, and just add better quality replacments (C&J or better). Hopefully, Grapevinehill won't create any more temptation this year.

7. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

Holy thread revival, Batman!

I remember reading this thread way back (I was doing a bunch of searches, trying to find out anything about tricker's).

Anyway, my stuff is still AE oriented. I expanded heavily into C&J (I think I had up to 9 or 10 unworn pairs at one point), and then for whatever reason, I decided to start selling them on ebay, albeit for a profit.

I'll count them out, but I have an appeal due tomorrow, so sometime later.

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Painful revival, and shoe update to my own wardrobe. My girlfriend decided to intervene this weekend and kept me from browsing Dunhill for clothes and Asprey for possible shoes discounts. I think it was a wise move. An update to my original thread. Three years later:

1) Allen Edmonds x1
    4) Edward Green x5
    5) John Lobb Paris x 2
    6) Lidfort x 2
    8) Church's x2
    9) Peluso x1
    10) Gravati x1
    12) Moreschi x1
    13) A. Testoni x1
    14) Mantellassi x1
    15) Bally x1
    16) Ferragamo x1
    17) Tod's x2

So that makes a total of 43 pairs of dress shoes prior to the addition of the New & Lingwoods. I think my goal is maintain the collection below 50, and just add better quality replacments (C&J or better). Hopefully, Grapevinehill won't create any more temptation this year.

Yeah, my shoe collection has reached its capacity. I have pretty much everything you can get in RTW. I'm just going to add some bespoke when I feel like it to get some more unusual stuff/designs.

9. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

shoe update to my own wardrobe. My girlfriend... kept me from browsing.....I think it was a wise move.
    I'll take it, in the last three years you have moved from shoes to wristwatches.

Big deal, changing one obsession for another one. At least shoes are cheaper than wristwatches (decent ones).

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

I'll take it, in the last three years you have moved from shoes to wristwatches.

Big deal, changing one obsession for another one. At least shoes are cheaper than wristwatches (decent ones).

exactly! Of all the things I could be obsessed with, clothing really is the cheapest.

The only thing is that with something like watches, you can resell them whenever you want when you grow bored of them. If you buy a very expensive watch, you can get a ton of your money back on the used/auction market. This is not the case with clothes, where a pair of used bespoke shoes is probably worth pennies on the dollar. That's the one bad thing about collecting clothes versus other kinds of collecting. Once you make a purchase, that money is basically gone.

11. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

exactly! Of all the things I could be obsessed with, clothing really is the cheapest.

The only thing is that with something like watches, you can resell them whenever you want when you grow bored of them. If you buy a very expensive watch, you can get a ton of your money back on the used/auction market. This is not the case with clothes, where a pair of used bespoke shoes is probably worth pennies on the dollar. That's the one bad thing about collecting clothes versus other kinds of collecting. Once you make a purchase, that money is basically gone.

But what would possess you to sell bespoke shoes? If it's an opportunity cost, don't buy bespoke.

12. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

But what would possess you to sell bespoke shoes? If it's an opportunity cost, don't buy bespoke.
    quite, I agree. My point was simply that collecting almost everything else costs much less than clothes in the long run.

13. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Well-Known Member

1) Allen Edmonds x1
    4) Edward Green x5
    5) John Lobb Paris x 2
    6) Lidfort x 2
    8) Church's x2
    9) Peluso x1
    10) Gravati x1
    12) Moreschi x1
    13) A. Testoni x1
    14) Mantellassi x1
    15) Bally x1
    16) Ferragamo x1
    17) Tod's x2

So that makes a total of 43 pairs of dress shoes prior to the addition of the New & Lingwoods. I think my goal is maintain the collection below 50, and just add better quality replacments (C&J or better). Hopefully, Grapevinehill won't create any more temptation this year.

A pretty well diversified portfolio. But no Vass??

14. jjl5000

jjl5000 Well-Known Member

4 x Church's (3 in bookbinder which I like and I feel is entirely appropriate for business in England, particularly if you work in a conservative financial business as I do)
    2 x Edward Green
    4 x Alfred Sargent
    2 x Crockett & Jones HGs
    3 x Trickers
    1 x Vass
    6 x Loake 1880's (great for wet weather, which we're not short of here!)
    3 x Barkers (also for wet weather)

15. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

I have 22 pair of all sorts RTW to Bespoke. Dress and casual. Excluding tennis and other sports shoes.

I have a special fondness for a good driving loafer. Quite practical.

16. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Sadly not true in the case of audio gear and vinyl in my experience.

17. teflondog

teflondog Member

I'm still a newbie so I've only started building up my "gentleman" shoe collection.

Zegna Fatte a Mano derby
    Ferragamo Merald 2
    Hugo Boss derby (I didn't know better at the time)

I also have about 20 pairs of Jordan basketball shoes if that counts for anything.

18. rick lombardo

rick lombardo Member

Well here it is:
    Santoni FAM.................. Cordvan cap toe
    Steffano Branchini.......... Norvegesse
    Bettanin and Venturi........Green wingtip
    Cole Hann FAM...............Brown Croc Norvegesse
    Gravatti........................Double monk
    Polo.............................Brown Suede Wingtips
    Pakerson.......................Cream pony slip on
    Lidfort..........................Brown wingtip
    J.Koman (English GYW)....Brown Suede Wingtips
    Fratelli Rosetti...............Tan lace up
    Florsheim Imperial...........Wingtip Brogues
    Florsheim Imperial...........Cordovan Bluchers
    Carlo Ventura................Black Snake lace up
    Daniel Allesandrini...........Brown Snake lace up
    Adam Derick..................Brown Lace up

A dozen other lesser quality shoes

19. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

Here's mine, whores:

Santoni - one goodyear welt, two orange socks
    Church's - one spectators
    C&J - Weymouth!
    Sutor Mantellasi - Suede penny loafers
    Peluso Napoli - brown double monk straps
    Lidfort - burgundy monkstraps
    Zegna - black bluchers
    Magnanni - pair of loafers and pair of monkstraps
    Ferragamo - 2 pairs
    J&M - Cordovan mid-cut boots
    and a bunch of sneakers (Onitsuka, Nike, Adidas classics, Puma...)

20. Maharlika

Maharlika Well-Known Member

Berluti - Black and Sienna , Tatoue Collection
    Berluti - Andy, Classic Club Collection
    Bettanin & Venturi Full Brogue in Burgundy
    Bettanin & Venturi Black Norwegian
    Alden Cordovan Blucher ( Tobacco )
    Dolce and Gabbana Brown Oxfords
    Dolce and Gabbana Patent Black Oxfords
    Dolce and Gabbana Black Motorcyle Boots
    Martin Margiela Suede Monk Shoes
    Dior Black Oxfords