1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Salvador dali

Salvador dali Member

Hi people. I don't known if this is the right place to post this situation of mine.

I've got a pair of wingtip derbys whose leather has no coating, one could say that the leather is "raw" except for the brown dying.

The thing is that I had the brilliant idea of polishing them with neutral/transparent shoe polish and now they are three time darker in color! Also with smudges all over them.

I tried to take the polish out in a myriad of ways but it was to no avail. I even tried alcohol but it made the thing worse.

Any idea how to recuperate the real color of my shoes?

2. Zapasman

Zapasman Well-Known Member

I am surprise too with your comment. Being the first wear and so comfortable with a triple sole!!. Great!!. One more cuestion, did the gunboats get many people´s attention?. Thanks for sharing your experience.

3. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Terrific additions @mimo . The Dinks are too cool for school and I really like the shell Bayfields. I have a CXL pair that has been my go-to-hard-use boot for a couple years and they have held up spectacularly well. Enjoy the heck out of yours.

1 person likes this.
  4. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    black straight tip, cashmere otc

1 person likes this.
  5. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Buy Italian!

6. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, those triple soles are certainly different. You feel very detached from the ground! But it's not unpleasant, and the shell itself wasn't at all stiff. I think it's a good last shape for my bendy feet and wider forefoot, too - that goes a long way in making a shoe work from the start. As for people noticing, well, I think we shoe lovers overestimate how much anyone else gives a shit. I have only worn them a couple of times, once in the evening at dinner with strangers, and once out and about for some errands. So it's not like people stop me in the street. But they are certainly different, and I'll be interested to see what comments they elicit over time.

Thanks buddy. They really are silly shoes, but so different from anything else, I just had to have them. They make me smile every time I look at them. As for the Bayfields, they really exceeded expectations: AE are a big company, and like any mass producer, have their quality limitations and failings now and then. Normally I buy them discounted or seconds, and the leather quality and construction I've always thought of as "entry level". Even some MTOs people have had issues with. But this GMTO really worked out for me: the finish on the shell looks fantastic, the depth of the colour is delicious, I've always loved a boot style-wise, and again, I knew the fit of this last would work for me. I've just ordered some black shell Daltons...

7. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Just arrived: Meermin dark brown chukkas. First time with the Hiro last - not bad, little slack in the heel but I'll see as the rubber sole softens up a bit. Liking the subtle burnish, and loving the price...

[​IMG]

8. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

looks good mate :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  9. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

My new shoes...picked them up at Riccardo's lab yesterday in Vigevano, Italy.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. forex

forex Well-Known Member

Are these the $1500 shoes? If so, looks very good.

11. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Well-Known Member

Wow. Very nice

12. meister

Pair of moderately vintage C&J Ranch hides probably from the 80s or earlier but look like they belonged in the 2000s

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Well-Known Member

Let it rain!

14. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Well-Known Member

Good to see that Norvegese is making a comeback on SF. A few years back, norvegese was dismissed as "ugly" quite vehemently. Stunning offering here. Thanks for sharing!

15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Me, I'm anti hatchgrain. That's my SF heresy today. But I'm loving the norvegese. Fantastic shoes, @PCK1 , congratulations.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  16. mcarthur

nephew, thank you

17. meister

The dress code tomorrow is smart casual so might wear these.

[​IMG]

18. mcarthur

[​IMG]
    king straight tip, argyles otc

1 person likes this.
  19. europrep

europrep Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. jjviegas

jjviegas Member