1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Isbister

Isbister Well-Known Member

Such wonderful craftsmanship, but that medallion really annoys me.

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

I wonder if this "for looks, not for fit" applies equally to the instep on Bestetti's shoes. Whenever I see one of his shoes (in pictures, never seen them in the flesh), I'm always taken aback by that enormous instep that hovers over the vamp like the rock over Gibraltar. I do not know how many people are there, who have the foot that can actually fill-out the instep.

Certainly I would never be able to muster such an erection (of the instep, of course).

3. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Well-Known Member

Continuation ... (sorry for the long lag time. Busy).

Yesterday, he sent me pictures of the shoes with the initials punched into them

Very nice pair of shoes love and I the colour, please do let us know how they fit? Enjoy and thank you for sharing.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  4. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Well-Known Member

Hehe yes, I've been noticing this myself and was a bit worried about it, wasn't sure how much he would change existing lasts on the Novecento line (which is sort of semi-bespoke, for those who wonders). On my test shoes though the instep was adjusted accordingly and fit my feet well, so no problems there. Here's a pic of them from the side:

[​IMG]

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

its such a beautiful shoe. so beautiful that it didnt need any additional adornment or medallion of any kind. however, the "CL" medallion detracts from the look and is a bit annoying in the same way a coworkers monogrammed shirt can look. annoying in part because the "CL" medallion isnt symmetrical as is the norm. admittedly, the "CL" punching does have an artistic and fluid quality to it.

the best initials would be W.T, or U.I, etc. . - something vertically symmetrical:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. tchoy

tchoy Well-Known Member

Great looking pair if shoes! I'll interested to see how they fit.. I have been contemplating commissioning a pair for a while but have concerns about the whole remote process.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

so the punching was done after the shoe was made? thats news to me. I always thought it was done before lasting. Interesting

8. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

don't like the initial medallion either. too peacocky. also don't like the shape of the last, but I suspect that it's what you were going for. but I do appreciate you sharing an experience with a less known shoemaker. it looks pretty good on all other counts. also curious if this remote fitting experience works out for you

9. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Well-Known Member

It's a truly unique pair of shoes. The shine and color depth on the shoe is very nicely done.

It's certainly a strong taper, reminds me of the pictures of G&G deco shoes.

10. nutcracker

nutcracker Well-Known Member

:wow::wow::wow:

11. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

Was surprised that he decided to punch the medallion in after the shoes were made myself. He commented that it was for the sake of precision and so he could determine placement.

With regards to the medallion being peacocky -- I personally don't think that it's going to be aesthetically different from other medallions. Most people view the shoes from a distance away, and, I think, they might not even pick up on the fact it's my initials.

Must say the last is quite aggressive though. I was contemplating between a pair of Anthony Cleverleys (that also had quite a defined last shape), pair of Decos and this pair of Bestettis. Have many other pairs of shoes with subdued lasts so I figured I might as well try smth different.

Will def. update on fit. If it fits well, this method of providing measurements might be a good step forward in helping to ascertain shoe size. Probably the most worried about size. I actually wanted to place an order for 3 pairs to save on shipping then held back because of size.

12. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Well-Known Member

Those EGs are amazing.

13. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

If anybody's interested, here are the last shapes he offers. I believe he has the capability of modifying them according to your feet though. The + 7.5 mm written on the last is indicative of how much wider -- from his usual last -- he believed I should go, and he had it sized accordingly.

1 person likes this.
  14. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Beautiful looking shoes, indeed an aggressive last, don't' mind the medallion, now the important question that will wait to be answered, the fit.

When will you receive them?

15. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

I must be seeing things, looks like ball or boobs to me...

16. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

I love this way of numbering, would probably want to try 2 and 3, though pretty sure it will hurt my feet by the look of it...

17. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

^Well traditional medallions are pretty phallic, see C&J Selbourne

18. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Alfred Sargent Milton Black in action

[​IMG]

19. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Visit G&G or EG threads for misaligned medallions due to lasting error or using the same pattern for all lasts.

20. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

I don't like that tiny medallion sitting on the quite large toe cap like some monkey on top of a horse hanging on for dear life. But then, I do have a penchant for medallions which tumble over the sides of the shoe like grapes over the edge of a fruit bowl.

3 people like this.