1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

#8 lhs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  2. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

kev: do you have the scoop on Chay's motive for leaving AS or has it been mentioned elsewhere on SF? He was with the company for decades and had a large part in designing the new models that made the factory pop. Odd that he would just leave like that.

3. Jakezero

Jakezero Well-Known Member

Shameless cross-posting from the Vass thread, my first pair from Vass. I think I've got enough shoes now, next step will probably have to be bespoke in two to three years.

1 person likes this.
  4. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Allen Edmonds Kenilworth Brown Burnished

[​IMG]

5. Fiddler

Fiddler Well-Known Member

That is the hardest thing to admit, but once you do, you are free to enjoy them.

1 person likes this.
  6. kev777

kev777 Well-Known Member

Had a couple messages off Chay... seemingly the cats out the bag now.....check out..........

http://www.styleforum.net/t/352357/wildsmith-shoe-brand-resurrected/0_30

7. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Ah, so he is like Tony Gaziano leaving Edward Green to set up Gaziano & Girling. Wildsmith makes more shoes than just loafers, right?

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

I hope it ends up a really good thing for Chay. I hope things continue to go smoothly with AS with such an important member now gone.

1 person likes this.
  9. mcarthur

ravello lhs
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. Fiddler

Fiddler Well-Known Member

Cream or wax?

That is wild, cousin.

11. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

Yes, these look like corrected grain. The plastic coating should add some proof against rain and muck, though the permanent creases are a bugger.

12. mcarthur

wax

13. Jakezero

Here's another new pair of shoes, which arrived less than an hour before my Vass pair. They're from New & Lingwood, marked Poulsen Skone, but I've no idea which manufacturer made them. From what I've read, Poulsen Skone shoes are usually made by Grenson to the Masterpiece standard, but I've never seen this sole configuration from them before. I forgot to take pictures of the interior text, but I'll snap some pictures tomorrow if anyone could help me identify the maker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Well-Known Member

Nice! The N&L P&S shoes I've owned who were made by Grenson did not have that sole at all, and like you I've never seen it from them. I'd say Cheaney, they do a lot of rebranded shoes, and I think they look like the soles of the Cheaney Imperial collection, which have the same quite extreme fiddle back. Pic of it here on a pair I owned, if you scroll down a bit: http://imgur.com/a/MxcQw

15. Jakezero

And we have a winner! They are quite clearly Cheaney made. I wonder if N&L have switched entirely from Grenson to Cheaney for their Poulsen Skone range?
    By the way, I check your blog weekly, keep up the good work! Since I live in the vicinity of Borås, it was quite interesting to see your post about my go-to cobbler. Your post about Skomakeri Framåt was also very informative, especially as the samples they show on their homepage are a bit... well, let us just say that I think they left something to be desired.

16. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Well-Known Member

I checked their site now, and it might be correct that they switched to Cheaney for the P&S-shoes (as well as some of the standard shoes, if I'm correct). At least they describe the shoes in the exact same way as they do with your boots, which usually is a hint.

Thanks for your kind words about my blog, glad you like it! You're quite fortunate to have such a great cobbler as Jörgen in your town. And yeah, I think Skomakeri Framåt could do with an update of their homepage in many ways..

1 person likes this.
  17. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Got my Marlows today. These things make me want to go out and kick some ass :slayer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Question for Uncle Mac and MOL:

The Marlows do feel a bit tight. Forum wisdom says that cordovan will stretch over time. Any tips on speeding up the process? They've already stretched a bit with the high volume C&J trees inside.

Can I use a shoe stretching solution on the cordo?

I went down down half a size and I'm glad I did. Insole length of 11.75 should be perfect. I would have been swimming in a half size up.

19. mcarthur

Got my Marlows today. These things make me want to go out and kick some ass :slayer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][
    /quote]

nephew,
    wear your wt in good health

20. mcarthur

nephew,
    from my experience, the cordovan leather does not stretch as calf leather does. you can have the shoes stretched by machine by either the manufacturer or the store that the shoes were purchased