1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

DW mentioned the pursuit of excellence above. That reminds me of Plato's Republic. There he divides a person into three parts, ruled by three desires, for (1) money/comfort/pleasure, (2) honor/respect, or (3) virtue/excellence. Individuals allow one of these parts to rule above all. Most people are ruled by the first desire, a substantial portion by the second, and a tiny minority by the third.
    Reminds me of a book I read years ago--called The Master Game: Pathways to Higher Consciousness by de Ropp
    Just for kicks...although I don't expect them to get a lot of love on SF...and to show that it can be done--walking and chewing gum at the same time--here is a pair of boots one of my students, from Brussels, made when he was here with me. [​IMG]

2. Ahriman4891

Ahriman4891 Well-Known Member

Please do both. I'll be watching and reading.
    +1 -- good conversation and IMO fitting for the beginning of the new year.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Trying something new this year... [​IMG]

4. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or does DWF always get into efights with other SFers and post tomes?

5. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or does DWF always get into efights with other SFers and post tomes?

Yes but it it's all good....

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Its not just you. But there is education in the eFight club.

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

8. NiFTY

NiFTY Well-Known Member

Its not just you. But there is education in the eFight club.

Don't talk about the eFight club. Its the first and 2nd rule.

9. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    color 8 cap toes

Nice - those are new I assume?

10. txeconomist

txeconomist Well-Known Member

Those look great mac, shoes and socks. Just when I dont think I need anything.

11. Andrew W

Andrew W Member

12. Groover

Groover Well-Known Member

However, the thing that spurred me on to mention it was Groover offering them as a superior alternative to the other fellow's bespoke shoes.

Hi Andrew,

I don't recall, either in this thread or others offering them as a 'superior alternative' to other fellows bepsoke shoes. Yes, the majority of my (recent) shoes are by Alfred Sargent. I have a good relationship and understanding with them, which ultimately results in the shoes that I want and most importantly fit. If posting pictures amounts to offering them as a 'superior alternative' then this forum surely has descended to new lows.

For the record I own and have owned shoes from the majority of the UK manufacturers, the exception being John Lobb. Comparisons between them are always made and always will be, but I've never compared a MTO or RTW to Bespoke. I was asked about the cost of Alfred Sargent MTO and explained what was changed for a £75 markup, which in MY opinion represents good value for what I want.

After many years of finding what fits I know my size, last, fitting in the following, Loake, Cheaney, Grenson, Church's, Edward Green, Alfred Sargent, Trickers, Crockett & Jones. Sadly, only G&G are the brand I struggle to get a good fit, without going up in size to the point where they're too long. Maybe in time I will find a combination in their lasts/fittings that does suit, which I would hope, because they make some wonderful looking shoes. But as things stand on the 3rd Jan 2011, I'm happy with my lot.

13. clintonf

clintonf Well-Known Member

...However, the thing that spurred me on to mention it was Groover offering them as a superior alternative to the other fellow's bespoke shoes. Saying you do not care for someone's recent bespoke acquisition is fair game. But if one compares a mass produced product to a one made by hand by one craftsman, it's a little like holding up a postcard of a painting and saying it is better than someone's real painting.

[Flame On]

I honestly do not know what thread you were reading to even infer this, let alone quote the above as something that actually happened.

I'm all for people commenting about stuff and for experts to correct speculation with fact. But what you've said above is a work of fiction and for that, I have little time.

To me, this has moved beyond the shoes. I know Groover personally, and for you to suggest that he would do something so crass and ignorant is an insult to him.

He's handled it with the grace that I would expect of him. However, I do not feel that this is something to be "excused" with nonsense.

I have nothing but regard for people who promote their Art (DW is one such person who springs to mind). However, I don't really have time for people who cannot comprehen simple sentences and "read" things into statements without any solid basis to do so.

Sure this is harsh, but people seem to what to write what they want here and then feel that they can write anything to excuse themselves. Man up and provide the real reason for the comment (whatever it may be).

Since I'm in a firing mood, I'm looking forward to Fritzl's and Luk-cha explanation of what they wrote to Groover.

[/Flame Off]

Clint

14. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

^^Clint

sorry whats wrong?

15. clintonf

interesting i hope no ....

BR

My friend, let me just say, I do love most of your shoes. They appeal to me. However, you made the above quote to Groover's posting and he (and I) didn't understand what you were getting at.

Would you care to explain?

Cheers

Clint

16. luk-cha

My friend, let me just say, I do love most of your shoes. They appeal to me. However, you made the above quote to Groover's posting and he (and I) didn't understand what you were getting at.

Would you care to explain?

Cheers

Clint

oh i did not realize i had wrote that in reply to groover, asi was gonna right very nice, and that comment was a sign off to a mate i was chatting to on MSN

sorry for confussing y'all!

it was new years eve here afterall

no i know why my mate replied with huh???

17. clintonf

oh i did not realize i had wrote that in reply to groover, asi was gonna right very nice, and that comment was a sign off to a mate i was chatting to on MSN

sorry for confussing y'all!

it was new years eve here afterall

no i know why my mate replied with huh???

I do appreciate you taking the time to reply. It certainly seemed a little confusing [​IMG]

Look forward to seeing more of your lovely shoes this year. Anything coming soon?

Clint

18. well-kept

well-kept Well-Known Member

19. luk-cha

I do appreciate you taking the time to reply. It certainly seemed a little confusing [​IMG]

Look forward to seeing more of your lovely shoes this year. Anything coming soon?

Clint

soon nothing! medium term i have some suede MTO's just a couple or boring plain seamed cap toes.

long term, well - i was planing to try F&S but i have to reschedule a trip back to blighty to later in the year (my annual dental check up - dont like HK dentist) so it might just be something seamless again from Tony and Dean in the mean time - i was gonna do something in that 200YO russian raindeer stuff, but after Tony sent me some samples i decided against it - it would make a great advert for Olay thro, to see how many cases of Olay it will take to rehydrate it

20. clintonf

soon nothing! medium term i have some suede MTO's just a couple or boring plain seamed cap toes.

long term, well - i was planing to try F&S but i have to reschedule a trip back to blighty to later in the year (my annual dental check up - dont like HK dentist) so it might just be something seamless again from Tony and Dean in the mean time - i was gonna do something in that 200YO russian raindeer stuff, but after Tony sent me some samples i decided against it - it would make a great advert for Olay thro, to see how many cases of Olay it will take to rehydrate it

Forgive my ignorance, but who is F & S?

The Russian stuff looks interesting. I believe that a member here has had some made up. I'd really like to see that stuff in real life.

Is it me, but there still seems to be a fair bit still around, considering it's age and history.

I think that I'll pm you as I have some questions about prices that I'd like to pick your brain about.

Thanks

Clint