1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. brax

brax Well-Known Member

+1

I agree but Rider Boot does not make shoe trees and I have not found a suitable substitute. As you can see from my Alden and A/E posts (and a few more to come), I buy shoe trees when available. Anyone know a good shoe tree that will work with Rider Boot?

2. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

I agree but Rider Boot does not make shoe trees and I have not found a suitable substitute. As you can see from my Alden and A/E posts (and a few more to come), I buy shoe trees when available. Anyone know a good shoe tree that will work with Rider Boot?

There's nothing special about the shoe trees that Alden or AE "produce". The Alden branded ones just have a name tag applied and the AE trees are fairly generic too. Just buy anything that looks like it might work.

3. brax

brax Well-Known Member

Here are the Edward Greens (shoe trees included).

Boots: Galway, last 606, rosewood with tobacco suede
    Shoes: Cardiff, last 808, dark oak
    Dover, last 202, chestnut
    Fawsley, last 606, burnt pine (at the cobbler)

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

4. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Rider recommended to me the Cedarville Men's Ultra for his Chukkas. Those shoe trees will work for darn near anything. But honestly, any shoe tree is better than nothing if you do not want to fork over $~30 / pair of trees. Think about it this way though... shoe trees are just about the best investment you can make. They last forever and they also make your shoes last longer.

http://www.cedarvillestore.com/p-13-...shoe-tree.aspx

5. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

There's nothing special about the shoe trees that Alden or AE "produce". The Alden branded ones just have a name tag applied and the AE trees are fairly generic too. Just buy anything that looks like it might work.

That's right - I use either Alden or no-name cedar trees and they work fine in the Rider's. You're just stretching out the break, not the toes.

6. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Wearing these mantellassi and posting them for fritzl since he loves suede chukkas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

8. edmorel

Nice.

Those look awesome!

thanks, Just noticed that shopthefinest (where I purchased these) has the same boot, but labeled Borrelli, for $200 more than this mantallessi version [​IMG]

9. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

thanks, Just noticed that shopthefinest (where I purchased these) has the same boot, but labeled Borrelli, for $200 more than this mantallessi version [​IMG]

I'd prefer the 'un-rebranded' (not just because of the price). I like Sutor; I'm not an expert, but from what I've seen, they seem to do their own thing: make simple, elegant shoes. I like their monks too.

10. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Well-Known Member

I wanted a very dark brown calf leather.
    Cleverley & Fosters refer to it as black coffee leather...G&G calls it Espresso

I wanted a plain front...no design, but I desired some brogueing/ornamentation on the topline, strap and the front vamp of the shoe

Clifford completed the design as requested and based on the pics I sent for guidance

Fit: Out of the box, it fits better than any monk I have worn by C&J, EG, and G&G. Since it is a Springline bespoke last, it tackles my high instep well, so that I do not notice it...in the past, I had to loosen the monk strap by one level to relieve the pressure on my instep...but this caused some of my shoes to be a bit loose (and not to my liking). As to fit in the toe box, it is roomier than my other monks...& I love it

Granted, I have worn this shoe for a few hours, but the fit is better. Is it phenomenally better...no. But it is a noticeable improvement over my other monks in terms of fit

The front last shape came out as I desired...although I might consider Springline to make me another last which is a bit pointier, longer and more chiseled.

I paid an extra 60 pounds for "bespoke" quality leather. It is an improvement over the black calf used on my first commission with him. I will continue to pay & request for the bespoke premium leather as it looks better.

Yes, I am ordering more shoes from Clifford...Winston Churchill faux laces

Will I solely be ordering ONLY from Clifford...no. I still like the RTW G&G TG73 last's shape and the quality of shoe from them too. But now I can have Clifford make some personal designs...for about 500 pounds (includes shipping and bespoke shoe trees)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. edmorel

So that's a rubber sole?

yes, very sleek sole though.

12. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

Interesting commentary, Michael.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I wanted a very dark brown calf leather.
    Cleverley & Fosters refer to it as black coffee leather...G&G calls it Espresso

I wanted a plain front...no design, but I desired some brogueing/ornamentation on the topline, strap and the front vamp of the shoe

Clifford completed the design as requested and based on the pics I sent for guidance

Fit: Out of the box, it fits better than any monk I have worn by C&J, EG, and G&G. Since it is a Springline bespoke last, it tackles my high instep well, so that I do not notice it...in the past, I had to loosen the monk strap by one level to relieve the pressure on my instep...but this caused some of my shoes to be a bit loose (and not to my liking). As to fit in the toe box, it is roomier than my other monks...& I love it

Granted, I have worn this shoe for a few hours, but the fit is better. Is it phenomenally better...no. But it is a noticeable improvement over my other monks in terms of fit

The front last shape came out as I desired...although I might consider Springline to make me another last which is a bit pointier, longer and more chiseled.

I paid an extra 60 pounds for "bespoke" quality leather. It is an improvement over the black calf used on my first commission with him. I will continue to pay & request for the bespoke premium leather as it looks better.

Yes, I am ordering more shoes from Clifford...Winston Churchill faux laces

Will I solely be ordering ONLY from Clifford...no. I still like the RTW G&G TG73 last's shape and the quality of shoe from them too. But now I can have Clifford make some personal designs...for about 500 pounds (includes shipping and bespoke shoe trees)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not going to make much of a different if you don't get some trees in there, buddy!

14. Michael Ay329

Patrick...the trees are on their way

Sorry Animal Thug, its a bespoke last...the creases just add character...although once I put the shoe trees in...perhaps the creases will adapt

Am wearing the shoes today...love them

15. Michael Ay329

'tis what matters. Enjoy them!

True Dat!!!!

16. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I'll post my Sutor suede chukkas, since Ed did. I also just made some modifications to these. They were snuff suede with very light colored contrast norwegian stitching. That contrast stitching always bugged me and I always thought I'd get it dyed when I got these resoled. But after three years of heavy wear, the soles are barely worn, so I had them dyed now. I went dark brown all over because I was dubious that the cobbler would be able to match the snuff. I prefer dark brown anyway. I also had them trim the sole edges down a bit as they had an overly beefy overhang. Kinda feels like I got a new pair of shoes. On a side note, some of you probably remember by cobbler disaster with the damaged monk shoes. I used Willie's in LA for that poor repair. I took these to Pasquales, who I was annoyed with for putting a off brand heel on another shoe that wore down fast, but I shouldn't have strayed from them as they really do pretty nice work. Also, the dye job is perfect and completely uniform - no way anyone would believe it wasn't original. Any discoloration is from dust I picked up during the day. [​IMG][​IMG]

17. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

18. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

thats too kind.

i like them, cause they don't have "this" schoolboy vibe...

19. Butter

Butter Well-Known Member

Here are the Rider Boot Company all in cordovan.
    From left to right: #6, dark cognac, mahogony

[​IMG]

Love the different shades of cordovan Rider Boot carries.

Gonna have to get myself a pair of chukkas from Ron in the near future.

20. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

havent had a chance to post these till now: [​IMG]