1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoe care

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stu, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

I just bought this [​IMG]spectator shoe from Moreschi and was wondering how to road-proof it first. Â The dark part is dark-tan leather, but the creme-colored part is canvas. I am worried the canvas will easily stain. What can I do to put a protective coating of some sore on both the leather and the canvas before I wear these shoes out?

2. dug

dug Well-Known Member

strange shoes.

3. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Perhaps the photo doesn't do them justice. But they are just normal tan and creme spectator shoes for summer, best worn with a beige cotton/cashmere suit.  Don't think they are that uncommon.

4. watchingdetails2002

watchingdetails2002 Well-Known Member

Cool Shoes. I would write to making and ask what they would suggest or even a shoe repair expert.

5. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Well-Known Member

strange shoes.
    Perhaps the photo doesn't do them justice. But they are just normal tan and creme spectator shoes for summer, best worn with a beige cotton/cashmere suit. Don't think they are that uncommon.
    Is it the photo or is there absolutely no brogueing on this shoe?

6. dug

dug Well-Known Member

this is shoes for black gangsters .

7. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

It is the photo. There is some very nice brouging on the toe. Here is a better shot. The only difference is mine have brouging on the toes.

8. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Well-Known Member

9. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Very sharp shoes.

10. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

I like the shoes. I really have no idea how to keep the twill clean. Scotchguard, maybe?

11. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

Ease up on the racial references and insults dug.

12. dug

dug Well-Known Member

that's a joke.

Asking if someone is a black gangster (because his style) is not an insulte.

In France only a black dandy can wear this type of shoes. And in your country?

Gangster of 20 years ago of course as today gangster wear snickers.

13. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

You're digging yourself a bigger hole. You'd be well-advised to let it drop.

14. dug

dug Well-Known Member

15. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

Forget the insults and come back to the shoe care.

Get a "protective spray" (scotch guard type), which works equally for suede or fabric shoes. When applying polish to the leather parts you just have to be careful. (Use fabric wrapped around finger to apply). If need be, even use masking tape to avoid staining the fabric.

Once the fabric has become dirty, you can use foam based shampoo cleaner.

16. RIDER

RIDER Well-Known Member

stu - bengal-stripe is right on. The only thing I would add is to send them at the end of the season to Shoe Service Plus in NYC for total cleaning and will be as good as new. BTW, if you bought them from me (francos.com is my site), I would be happy to send you a mahogany polish from Lincoln that is perfect for the leather portion (the fabric is linen). I only say 'if' as, unless you bought them last week when I was in Italy, I don't remember an order on these shoes in the last few weeks. Anyway, send me a note on this forum or to the store and I will take care of it. Thanks - ron@francos.com ps - the site has not been updated in quite awhile, but will be loaded soon.