1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoe Antiquing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RIDER, Oct 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Yellowevo84

Yellowevo84 Well-Known Member

Here is a pair I just got done working on. These shoes were particularly bad with dirt built up on the heels and toes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Dawsokj1988

Dawsokj1988 New Member

So I bought a pair of AE bicycle toes on Ebay for 50 bucks. They looked like this.

[​IMG]

After spending hours reading this forum as well as a couple others, I decided to take action. I tried using cream and wax based polishes at first, and it just looked like shit. Finally I order some fiebings medium brown leather dye.

[​IMG]

After 10 hours of learning / screwing up I finally finished.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm trying to decide now if I should take the welt darker than the upper. Thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I think you should get a better pair of shoes.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. Yellowevo84

Hard to tell from the lighting but they look pretty good. I would take the welt and bottom edge of the sole a darker brown. That way it brings less attention to the sole and more onto the upper especially now that it a darker tone.

5. Jurgis

Jurgis Well-Known Member

Nice job. I definitely would go darker on the welt and sole, though.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dawsokj1988

Dawsokj1988 New Member

Thanks for the input Yellowevo. I like what you did with the wingtips.

7. Yellowevo84

Thanks Dawsokj I had a lot of fun with those although stripping off all the wax the client had piled on those shoes was frustrating. Here is another pair I did for a client. He had terrible toe damage and and I recommended he get new shoe but he was persistent in having the shoes redone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Dawsokj1988

Dawsokj1988 New Member

They look brand new. Damn good job! Did you use a wax polish at the end to create that high shine?

9. Yellowevo84

There is no wax on the shoes. The polish was done using creams only.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

That's a bit of a misnomer, creams are made of wax.

11. Yellowevo84

You are correct sir. I should amend my statement as only saphir mdo creams were used which do contain wax.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  12. Yellowevo84

A few pics of latest work

Allen Edmonds Carlyle.
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

13. TWU2014

TWU2014 Well-Known Member

I originally contributed to this thread under a different UN when it first started. Since then I've had to create another account because I was inactive for about 2 yrs. And forgot my account information.

1. Stripped shoes using Angelus Deglazer. I didn't condition shoes as I should have. A step I skipped because I didn't have any leather conditioner.
    2. Painted the shoes using Angelus leather shoe paint. Something different than dying. Three layers of dark mocha brown, 2 coats of medium blue two coats, and then two coats of Navy.
    3. Polished dark mocha with Meltonian shoe cream. Navy in coats of Neutral coat of Meltonian.
    4. Steps I will eventually get around to doing soon is conditioning the shoes. Then applying multiple layers of matching shoe creams and polish to achieve a nice shine.
    5. Clean up blemishes and soles with sole polish.
    6. Buff, buff, and buff.

Started off as a pair of Mezlan's in medium brown.

Step 1

[​IMG]

Step 2

[​IMG]

Step 3
    [​IMG]

Step 4
    [​IMG]

Step 5
    [​IMG]

This is my first attempt at painting shoes. I have several other pairs that I will change colors. Practice makes perfect.

I welcome feedback, comments, and suggestions.

Tony

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  14. Yellowevo84

Tony I like the spectator look of the shoes. If you have other pairs you are attempting i would highly recommend getting into the dyes. they are a lot harder to work with and takes a lot more practise but the results will work out better over time. You will get a better shine out of dyes as they penatrate the leather, also you get a natural patina over time or through different polishes. The angelus paint basically acts like painting a canvas. Still the result came out great for a first attempt. keep it up.

1 person likes this.
  15. sfo423

sfo423 Well-Known Member

Anyone have a "shoe guy" recco in San Francisco? Somehow, still unknown to me, my Martegani Lucca seems to be soiled/stained/ruined. I want to antique or something; not sure if salvagable.

[​IMG]

16. RIDER

RIDER Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  17. Yellowevo84

Those are definitely reparable. As rider said ashineandco would be great. It just depends on what you want done and what sort of antiquing your looking for. If you want some ideas pm me and I can help you with some ideas.

18. Yellowevo84

Here is a few new works for some clients. A nice change on the cap toes considering the hand sanitizer that was spilled on them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Well-Known Member

Glad this thread is being kept alive. I've got a couple projects underway I hope to share soon. Just need to find more time!

20. sfo423

sfo423 Well-Known Member

A medalion toe looks great with a burnished finish. I like the cognac (my only pair in this color) but would be happy to go to light brown. Another good reason to buy another replacement pair in cognac.