1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shirt fit on suit when leaving collar unbuttoned

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by xltros, Feb 3, 2016.

1. xltros

xltros Active Member

I was wondering why my shirt doesn't seem to lie the way I want it to when I leave the collar unbuttoned.

For example:

[​IMG]

Vs this:

[​IMG]

Is it the shirt fit/material/style?

For reference the shirt is a brooks brothers regent fit shirt, and it doesn't change if jacket is buttoned or not.

Thanks!

2. Raxxman

Raxxman Well-Known Member

Hi mate,

I think the big difference in the two pictures is the top one has 2 buttons undone.

I find an open neck works best if the shirt is slightly too small to button, but I tried a bunch of shirts on the weekend and definitely the collar cut makes a differnce. The spread collars didn't work at all open for me.

3. xltros

xltros Active Member

Good insight, thanks. Did you figure out what type of collar does work well?

4. Wayward

Wayward Well-Known Member

5. aristoi bcn

aristoi bcn Well-Known Member

Collar band is also important. Unlined or lightly lined collars tend to collapse easily and therefore ruin all the front of the shirt.

6. silkman

silkman Active Member

For the fit you want, you need to use some sort of collaring agent when ironing. Mostly on the from part of the shirt but particularly on the top "triangle" among the collar and the top two buttons.

In Europe, I have been using a spray called Merito; surely there must be something similar in US.

[​IMG]