1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shirt buttons

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Classic, May 27, 2004.

1. Classic

Classic Well-Known Member

Today I saw the thickest buttons I have ever seen on a RTW dress shirt. Athough I am not an expert at all, I do have a fair collection of dress shirts, mostly with french cuffs, and while some have thicker buttons, they are no where near the size of those I saw today.
    Mastai Ferrentti was the label, and the buttons were off white plastic.
    In my estimation they were at least 1 cm thick.
    Has anyone else every seen buttons of this size? And what would be the purpose? IMO they took away from the look of the shirt.

Classic

2. hermes

hermes Well-Known Member

i see this quite often on shirts
    i have seen it on everything from donna karan signature shirts to etro

usually stacked mop but not that unusual
    i find it difficult to button them up though, especially on the collar

3. Mike C.

Mike C. Well-Known Member

Thick buttons are really starting to annoy me. At first it was a cool noveltly that came along with buying better quality shirts, but now it's just a nusance.

4. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Well-Known Member

I actually agree with Mike C. - particularly when they are plastic buttons which they mold so thick to give a low-quality shirt an "expensive" appearance. Even super-thick MOP buttons are one thing to see, another thing to button, particularly if the maker puts super-thick buttons on the collar and cuffs without a shank.