1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Sherlock Holmes?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by JLibourel, Dec 22, 2009.

1. underwearer

underwearer Well-Known Member

saw this last night...Decent movie. Id say its Guy Ritchie-light.

Holmes is pretty dark, an obvious junkie and recluse. He boxes out of boredom and self loathing (it seems), and so his friend Watson can indulge his gambling habit without losing money. (nice guy that Holmes)

Very well acted by Law and Rd,Jr...Story is OK. Movie was kind of long (+2 hrs)...I will go see the sequal.

The clothing is pretty badass. Lots of tweed, cool hats, nice shoes...there's one line where they are fighting over a waist coat and Holmes trying to convince Watson to give him the coat says, "I thought we both decided that coat is too small for you?" lol Non SF audience might see this as Manlove but not me..They did play with the Manlove idea somewhat...But its more seen as a brotherhood-like bond.

Inspector looks like Pete Townshend woot

2. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

saw this last night...Decent movie. Id say its Guy Ritchie-light.

Holmes is pretty dark, an obvious junkie and recluse. He boxes out of boredom and self loathing (it seems), and so his friend Watson can indulge his gambling habit without losing money. (nice guy that Holmes)

Very well acted by Law and Rd,Jr...Story is OK. Movie was kind of long (+2 hrs)...I will go see the sequal.

The clothing is pretty badass. Lots of tweed, cool hats, nice shoes...there's one line where they are fighting over a waist coat and Holmes trying to convince Watson to give him the coat says, "I thought we both decided that coat is too small for you?" lol Non SF audience might see this as Manlove but not me..They did play with the Manlove idea somewhat...But its more seen as a brotherhood-like bond.

Inspector looks like Pete Townshend woot

+1

I finally saw it on Saturday and I liked it. Not the greatest movie evAr but a good movie nonetheless. Worth the price of admission.

3. cpmac7

cpmac7 Well-Known Member

Worth the price of admission.

agreed

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

So there's some talk of casting for the sequel, and it's pretty interesting, assuming it's true. Both are well-known characters from the Holmes canon, so I'm not going to bother spoilerizing it, but don't read if you don't want to know.

Mycroft Holmes: Stephen Fry
    Moriarty: Jared Harris, AKA Mad Men's Layne Price

Both sound good to me. I never would have thought of Harris for Moriarty, but I can definitely see it.

5. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

+1 on both. I can definitely see Harris after watching him in Mad Men. He's just got this air of "devious bastard" that would kill that role.

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Why the Grr? Not feeling the casting in specific, or not feeling the revisionist take on Holmes in general?

8. Huntsman

or not feeling the revisionist take on Holmes in general?
    And not so much the idea of revisionism itself, which I am comfortable with -- just this generation's idea of it. I should really probably stay out of this thread because of the heaviness of my biases here. ~ H

9. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

The movie did suck.

10. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Well-Known Member

And not so much the idea of revisionism itself, which I am comfortable with -- just this generation's idea of it. I should really probably stay out of this thread because of the heaviness of my biases here.

~ H

Aren't you like 28? christ....

11. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

He's an old soul

12. Huntsman

Close enough, but I don't get the point? There are a lot of people my age who don't think current movies are all that awesome, if that's where you're going. I'm a big fan of subtlety and nuance, which is really not exactly Ritchie's forte (this also explains having 50 different scotches).
    He's an old soul
    I have heard that before.... ~ H

13. Jekyll

Jekyll Well-Known Member

The movie did suck.

It did. The recent BBC adaptation wasn't perfect, but it was much better.

14. Melo

Melo Well-Known Member

Close enough, but I don't get the point? There are a lot of people my age who don't think current movies are all that awesome, if that's where you're going. I'm a big fan of subtlety and nuance, which is really not exactly Ritchie's forte (this also explains having 50 different scotches).

I'm in my early 20s and agree completely. I like the Granada TV version best.

15. Amiens

Amiens Well-Known Member

Clive Merrison on the BBC Radio Holmes dramatisation is the ideal Holmes.