1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shell cordovan belts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JohnMS, Jun 8, 2004.

1. JohnMS

JohnMS Well-Known Member

http://www.landsend.com/cd....7191810 Lands' End for some time has offered a shell cordovan belt in color 8 for $89. Has anyone purchased this belt that can comment on the quality? My thinking is that not just any belt maker could work with shell cordovan and perhaps this is a belt made by the same maker as makes Alden shell belts or Ben Silver. Can anyone shed some light on this belt?

2. j

j Well-Known Member

Strange, they only have it in 32, 38, 40 ... totally skipping 34 and 36? It's a good price, though. Too bad they don't have a bigger picture so we could see if/how it's put together from shorter pieces.

3. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

I think shell cordovan belts are always made from multiple pieces. The horsehide isn't big enough to cut an entire belt from lengthwise.

4. JohnMS

JohnMS Well-Known Member

They had a full range of sizes when they started out, but the sizes not seen sold out quickly from what I recall.

I too had heard/read that shell cordovan belts must be made in pieces. In speaking with Lands' End, they confirmed that belt is made that way.

They don't have my size or I would give the belt a try. lands' End has a very liberal return policy.

5. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

While on the topic of belts - anyone ever seen the Sulka belts that Flusser mentioned - yellow webbing with alligator trim? They sound great, I've always hoped to find one.