1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

[Shadow community thread, you may bring your snack ]

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Feb 25, 2013.

1. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

Can I still join?

edit: nvm, I'm down. cool.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. jwjp

jwjp Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  3. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Well-Known Member

I have some friends who work || intern at DB, will see if I can't rustle up a few free space coupons

4. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

just finished this morning after starting late last night. great pick dwyhajlo

after seeing the trailer i thought i wouldn't be able to watch it (what with the conditioning of mainstream cinecrapnema now requiring many special effects, hd resolution, unnecessarily dizzying post-production 3d, etc etc). but for this same reason i kept thinking, this movie was done in the right era, it couldn't be done in modern times (fingerprints and dental records are no longer the sole identifiers, your dna is everywhere). it feels disappointing to think this fantasy is now lost, however unreal it may have been to begin with.

frankenheimer was a good craftsman. disorienting camera work really added to the emotion at the right times. i thought in the middle the film got a bit off-tracked, going too far into wilson as a real person, maybe that was intentionally done to show a natural tendency toward the mundane/ordinary (all the creepy robotic seconds living similarly unconventional laissez faire lives in hippyland cali) ? but got back to the point shortly. anyway, Will Geer was awesome and his smile when chatting with the fellow kept making me think of the Cheshire Cat.

3 people like this.
  5. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Well-Known Member

watched it a few days ago - i thought it was fantastic movie, loved it. will post thoughts later!

6. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Well-Known Member

Drunken Sailor isn't going to sound the same way again.

Not what you'd call a feel good movie. Sort of read the 'reborn' thing as culture commentary. Guy works in finance, lives in suburban ny with wife, in a dead marriage, empty nest, sexless. What could be better than transplanting your existence to sixties California. C'mon, you get to be an artist and attend random grape smushing things! Bang semi attractive saggy titted women with hidden agendas! Only problem is things don't work that way. Like Mr. Wilson's conscience doesn't work that way (which the narrative could have explored more but whatever). All he had to do was play the part. What a shame. In the end refusing to toe the line gets him phased out of the program, so to speak. Which in a way was what being a hippie was about. So irony points there I suppose. All in all there was some nice symbolism. Good one dwyhajlo. Looks like we're two for two on these.

1 person likes this.
  7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Help, technical difficulties!
    Dropbox downloaded Little Odessa again, but not Seconds. (I have a Seconds folder with a green check, but nothing inside). Says all files are up to date. No!

8. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

Try logging in via the web client, rather than having it mirror to your hard drive?

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Thanks. The Seconds folder is there, but it's empty. Had to click 'Deleted Files' and 'Restore'. Hope this doesn't cause any problems.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  10. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Well-Known Member

Just some food for thought:
    I feel like there's some subtext in Seconds regarding Rock Hudson's homosexuality. Though he would definitely not have been openly gay at the time this film was made, it was supposedly an open secret in Hollywood. The idea of a man trapped behind a façade, unable to express who he really is, and with a large cadre dedicated to ensuring he keeps up the façade (to protect their business), rich idiots (frauds or charlatans, essentially) flocking to California from across the country to recreate themselves, etc. I feel like this may have had some resonance with Hudson. It seems like a pretty open poison pen letter to Hollywood from Hudson and/or Frankenheimer.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

I quite like that angle dwyhajlo. I can imagine that Rock Hudson would have definitely gravitated towards the film on the basis of the story resonating with him as you say.

The film made me think of Hitchcock (was that intentional by the way? Even down to Saul Bass handling the titles) and yet managed to also be a product of its time.

I quite liked it. The claustrophobic camera angles and the editing all contributed to making the film feel very "uncomfortable" with a sense of unease pervading the entire thing. In a way I wish they played a little bit more on the paranoia that the music and shooting style seemed to be evoking, but I guess it still worked as a sign of emotional tension when it all came together during key scenes.

Wilson's refusal to play ball throughout the film basically - initially when he was reborn, or even when he first went to the hippy grape party and later when he went back to the corporation all showed a complete lack of agency from him as an individual. It is kind of depressing that it is implied by this pattern of behaviour that even if he was given another chance he would still botch it up. His claims about doing things his own way ring false when you think that he was given enough room to do things his own way and yet he did nothing with the opportunities presented. I guess like he said at the end, he just never had a dream (or knew what he wanted).

4 people like this.
  12. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

So...where's the next movie? I'm looking at you Lionheart :p

(Bump)

13. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Well-Known Member

Fuck, I got caught up with a few things and forgot to watch "Seconds". I´ll try to watch it tonight.

How do I upload the movie of choice to Dropbox? Do I have to have it downloaded on my computer and I do it from there? Never used it.

14. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

Yeah you definitely need to have the movie downloaded. Ideally, what you should do is either download the movie straight into the film club folder (after creating a sub-folder for it first) then leave your computer online for it to upload it for you :). If you have the file already, then all you need to do is copy and paste or move it into the relevant Dropbox folder on your computer. That's it. When Dropbox is done syncing, the rotating arrows on your taskbar (or whatever) will change to a check mark.

15. Lionheart Biker

Thanks, man. I already started the download, so once it´s done I´ll copy it to the folder.
    I don´t think this one will be as unknown as the previous ones, but I was unaware that I was third in line to choose a film. I haven´t seen it, but it´s from one of my favorite directors and this work of him has eluded me, despite being one of his most acclaimed ones.
    If it turns out most people have watched it, then I´ll look into choosing something more "obscure".

16. Lionheart Biker

The movie´s already on dropbox but subtitles aren´t showing and only 15 minutes of it are up and it has the check sign as if it´s all there. I don´t know why since I have the whole movie on my computer. ... If it doesn´t end up loading all the way, the movie is in youtube, where I downloaded it from. Easier this way I guess.

Here´s the link

17. jwjp

jwjp Well-Known Member

Well I've managed to download it in full, and it seems to be working so far, so it might just be a problem on your end. Either way, it's probably worth deleting Little Odessa from the shared folder now, since I don't think the minimum Dropbox size of 2GB is capacious enough for more than two films, and most people will have seen/copied it by now

18. Lionheart Biker

Just finished watching it and it was quite an experience. First thing I really liked was all the close ups at the beginning and how it made me develop a sort of intimacy with the film, something hard to see often nowadays. It carries on throughout the film but it´s not like in the beginning, where it´s centered around the character´s worry over the call and where you can also see his disillusionment for how his life has come about.
    The camera work and Hudson´s performance were the strongest point for me. From the aforementioned close ups, to the over-the-shoulder shots, the low camera angles, etc. And I liked how subtle (but powerful) the music was. It made for a bigger dramatic impact at some points but it never dominated the scene and it felt very natural.

A couple of things I would´ve liked differently were, first, the transition from him getting accustomed (or going through his new live) to realizing his being watched by a lot of people. It was mainly him walking down the beach while trying to paint a little, meeting the girl, going to a crazy forest wine party with hippies (?)... now that I list it, I see there were a handful of events, but it still seemed a tad rushed... anyway, it wasn´t much of a big deal and it´s just a personal view. The other thing I would have tried to not be so obvious was when he meets Nora. We see him walking on the beach a bunch of times and then she just happens to be there, sulking or whatever, and she´s this free spirited woman who is gonna make him a new man. Needless to say, It wasn´t a surpise to find out she was part of the agency. They´re minor details and don´t change the fact I enjoyed the film thoroughly.

It´s odd there hasn´t been a remake of it. Such a great story work with... Though I guess it´s best, seeing what usually happens when studios do a remake. And reading Shah´s thoughts, it would be kind of impossible in this day and age, with all the technology to identify a person.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  19. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Well-Known Member

I can donate a few GB of my Dropbox to archiving old films for people who want to catch up. Just PM me if you need access to the folder and I can shoot you a link.

20. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

Bump. Have been super slacking, I'll try to catch up in the next few days.

I can't edit the op anymore, fuck.

Noob, you're next. Did you manage to find a copy of The Falls (?) ?