1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

[Shadow community thread, you may bring your snack ]

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Feb 25, 2013.

1. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Well-Known Member

Let's get this crazy train back on the tracks. Who's next in line? Ivwri, is it you? Let's do this.

2. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

Yup I believe so. Decided on what I want to upload so will put it up in the next couple of hours to sync. Hopefully not too many people have watched it and it will spark some discussion :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Well-Known Member

Love the choice and haven´t watched it. [​IMG]

4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. Lionheart Biker

how about some Woody Allen? I have a bunch to watch on my netflix queue.

2 people like this.
  6. dwyhajlo

Whoever uploaded The Great Beauty, thank you. It's absolutely stunning so far.

2 people like this.
  7. snake

snake Well-Known Member

:bigstar:

Just saw that someone uploaded a subtitle file for the film. If anyone's using VLC player (which you should), the (english) subtitles are already included within the video file. :)

Went and saw Blue Jasmine the other day. Nice movie. But doesn't hold a candle to a streetcar named desire!

8. Lionheart Biker

That was me (the subtitles). Been trying all day to watch it but don´t have any player that reads the subtitles. I guess I´ll download VLC since you´re saying they work there.

Re "Blue Jasmine", I was gonna see it at my local cinema but ended up passing. I might rent it and judge by myself how much it resembles "A street car". I´ve been reading mixed reviews. Some praise the acting and other just focus on this similarity (copy for some) that you mention.

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

After gambling and winning big on Midnight in Paris, I am 100% down for seeing Woody Allen movies in the theater again. :D

10. Lionheart Biker

Midnight in Paris was great. For me it was classic allen back at its best and had all the ideal elements, but it´s probably one of the very few I´ve liked from woody from the past 10 years or so. I didn´t care much for Match Point even if critics liked it. Neither did I care for "You´ll meet a tall dark stranger" or "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" (though I loved rebeca hall in it but didn´t buy into Penelope´s bipolar character).

1 person likes this.
  11. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

I just saw Blue Jasmine tonight -- thought it was pretty good. More akin to Match Point than Midnight in Paris which I really liked. Def a good performance by Cate Blanchett. Was kinda fun that much of it was filmed around my neighborhood -- and a pretty realistic portrayal at that.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  12. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

Sorry for dropping the ball on this, thanks for the relaunch. Still haven't watched some of the previous stuff but I'll post when I get around it.

Thanks for uploading The Great Beauty, been meaning to watch, what with all the ditthyrambic reviews etc.

1 person likes this.
  13. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

shocked you guys loved midnight in paris. maybe it's because i don't like owen wilson. i think woody allen's best film is sleeper.

14. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

I like Owen Wilson but didn't care about Midnight. Speaking of Woody Allen, anyone seen Interiors ?

15. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

Anyone watched yet ? Any thoughts ? Watching it tonight.

16. dwyhajlo

Watched which movie? The Great Beauty?

Visually, I thought it was fantastic - even if the aesthetics were a bit Monocle- or Dwell-esque at times. I wasn't 100% sold on the storyline. A lot (most) of the characters just drop out of sight at the earliest convenience, which is a bit annoying, though I suppose that it is "realistic" in that sense.
    I feel like I may have missed quite a bit on first viewing, so I'd say that it probably requires multiple viewings to catch all of the tiny details.

One thing I didn't quite understand was the significance of the scene with the Japanese tourists. Opinions, anyone?

17. snake

snake Well-Known Member

A possible take on it...

From the NYT:
    “(Walter) Benjamin wondered why the flâneur, born in Paris, did not spring from the glorious archaeological sprawl that is Rome. “But perhaps in Rome even dreaming is forced to move along streets that are too well-paved.” He suggested that for a flâneur, Rome’s “great reminiscences, the historical frissons” are so much junk better left to the tourists. The tourist, that familiar figure of contempt, plays a crucial role in “The Great Beauty,” which opens with a prologue set in the Janiculum, a hill west of the Tiber. There, scattered amid busts of heroes of the Risorgimento, the 19th-century movement for Italian unification, a smattering of Italians mill about while a group of Japanese tourists take in the sights — a view, a city, a people, a history — that, Mr. Sorrentino suggests, the natives no longer necessarily see.”

Personally, I thought the film was great. Would love to hear what you guys thought of the film. Or even how it compares alongside La Dolce Vita.

2 people like this.
  18. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

Didn't like. At all :confused:

More thoughts in a minute.

19. snake

snake Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. brightorangetrousers

brightorangetrousers Well-Known Member