1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by designprofessor, Nov 15, 2006.

1. aragon765

aragon765 Well-Known Member

That space would have made a nice cactus garden.

To further my point, this is the view most of the winter....

[​IMG]

Well, if she was my wife, I'd fight it on the premise that although some might like it, I don't, and then I'd pull my patria potestas card, which would force her to obey. [​IMG]

You obviously have not met my wife...[​IMG]

Actually, there are many decisions I make, but I was 'willing' to 'allow' her to make decisions about something that falls directly in her field of both professional and personal interest... I have some gifts, she has many more (I married up... [​IMG] )

2. Rkteez

Rkteez Well-Known Member

I live in a tiny dorm with 3 of the dirtiest guys in the world.

3. spertia

spertia Well-Known Member

That is a nice building, aragon.

4. aragon765

That is a nice building, aragon.

Thanks, we are really enjoying it! [​IMG]

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

what city are you in?

6. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

I believe that building is in Winnipeg. It's quite nice for an infill condo too.

7. aragon765

what city are you in?

I believe that building is in Winnipeg. It's quite nice for an infill condo too.

correct, EL72...

8. vitaminc

vitaminc Well-Known Member

Here's the painting close up. If anyone can tell me anything about it, that would be cool

[​IMG]

Can't understand too much of it, but its basically saying (from left to right):

[...] two birds telling good news to two masters
    [...] it's peace time
    Created on mid fall (luner calendar 8/15th) at xxx's study place.

Seems like a piece of work by some traveling/visiting artist/scholar dedicated to the people who gave him room/board

9. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

I think that if I lived in Winnipeg I would want a house and not a condo. I'd feel very secluded and would need a real home theater and a wine cellar to help me drain my sorrows. Otherwise, think The Shining. [​IMG]

10. aragon765

I think that if I lived in Winnipeg I would want a house and not a condo. I'd feel very secluded and would need a real home theater and a wine cellar to help me drain my sorrows. Otherwise, think The Shining. [​IMG]

[narrowmindedcanadianperspectivepost] I promised myself I would not respond to any Winnipeg bashing (and I am surprised it took this long to come out, to tell the truth.. [​IMG] )

However, the 16 foot walls provide a very nice screen for a projector, and accommodating neighbours allow for volume at ungodly levels. Home theatre enough for me.

As for the wine cellar ... well, I need to drink SO much to bear Winnipeg, I have no reason to store the stuff!!

PS: I grew up in Vancouver, and lived several years in Downtown TO... I am fully aware of what I am getting myself into in Winnipeg... [/narrowmindedcanadianperspectivepost]

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

[narrowmindedcanadianperspectivepost] I promised myself I would not respond to any Winnipeg bashing (and I am surprised it took this long to come out, to tell the truth.. [​IMG] )

However, the 16 foot walls provide a very nice screen for a projector, and accommodating neighbours allow for volume at ungodly levels. Home theatre enough for me.

As for the wine cellar ... well, I need to drink SO much to bear Winnipeg, I have no reason to store the stuff!!

PS: I grew up in Vancouver, and lived several years in Downtown TO... I am fully aware of what I am getting myself into in Winnipeg... [/narrowmindedcanadianperspectivepost]

haha sorry. Winnipeg is an easy target, sort of like small towns in the US. [​IMG]
    I actually went easy on you. My uncle lives in Calgary and you should hear what HE thinks of Winnipeg. [​IMG]

12. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

We are still renting so there is a transient feel to our home right now, even after 2 years there. we'll be moving this ear, so hopefully we can then start making the house a home.

Our place is a classic suburban family home. Four bedrooms with a mixture of carpets and polished floorboards. Huge open-space kitchen/family and living areas. Single garage.

Storage room is, not to put too fine a point on it, crap. There simply is not enough for four adults' clutter. We only have one small car, but can't even fit that into the garage. (The house was owned by a family with small children, who tend to need less room).

The biggest hassle is the lack of control. We can't decorate the way we'd like to, can't furnish the place as we'd like (no point) and can't take liberties with the garden. We have been living like this for 6 years, so our own home will feel great when we get there.

13. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

We are still renting so there is a transient feel to our home right now, even after 2 years there. we'll be moving this ear, so hopefully we can then start making the house a home.

Our place is a classic suburban family home. Four bedrooms with a mixture of carpets and polished floorboards. Huge open-space kitchen/family and living areas. Single garage.

Storage room is, not to put too fine a point on it, crap. There simply is not enough for four adults' clutter. We only have one small car, but can't even fit that into the garage. (The house was owned by a family with small children, who tend to need less room).

The biggest hassle is the lack of control. We can't decorate the way we'd like to, can't furnish the place as we'd like (no point) and can't take liberties with the garden. We have been living like this for 6 years, so our own home will feel great when we get there.

I don't understand people with lots of clutter. Every time I do a big clean-up, I throw-out a bit more stuff from my past. I don't see the point in keeping stuff that i hide in boxes and never look at.

14. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

It has to do with transience. There is no point, for example, unpacking all my books and sticking them on shelves, because I would then have to fork out for temporary shelving. Rather than invest in furniture for someone else's house, I prefer to buy my own place and then pick furniture that will suit it.

With two uni students (one of whom also runs a business), a teacher and a professional in the house, a certain amount of clutter is unavoidable anyway.

15. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing about the fake grass initially but my wife is a landscape architect and the patio has won a couple of small design awards for use of 'small urban spaces outside' ... so I figure I got no grounds to fight that... [​IMG]

It looks like you have fake-wood floors or is it a photography?

16. aragon765

haha sorry. Winnipeg is an easy target, sort of like small towns in the US. [​IMG]
    I actually went easy on you. My uncle lives in Calgary and you should hear what HE thinks of Winnipeg. [​IMG]

No worries.. I have only lived here for 1.5 years but find the self-deprecation in this town incredible... add to it the opinion of outsiders, and I immediately get on the defensive. I actually quite enjoy the place!! [​IMG]

I have a brother in Calgary as well, I am sure I have heard it all by now... [​IMG]

It looks like you have fake-wood floors or is it a photography?

Do you mean inside or out?

Inside, the floor is a laminate and all the 'accent' wood is baltic birch, outside is some pressure-treated wonder wood (ie pine...[​IMG] )

17. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Well-Known Member

No worries.. I have only lived here for 1.5 years but find the self-deprecation in this town incredible... add to it the opinion of outsiders, and I immediately get on the defensive. I actually quite enjoy the place!! [​IMG]

I have a brother in Calgary as well, I am sure I have heard it all by now... [​IMG]

Inside, the floor is a laminate and all the 'accent' wood is baltic birch, outside is some pressure-treated wonder wood (ie pine...[​IMG] )

Inside of course. If it looks fake on pictures imagine how it looks in RL. It needs to be all torn-up and replaced with a real thing. Please ,do it for your childrenz.[​IMG]

18. Yardsale

Yardsale Well-Known Member

Some very nice dwellings. I'm only two years out of college and living on my own far from family, but I enjoy the freedom. I'll get there. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. dtmt

dtmt Well-Known Member

Some very nice dwellings. I'm only two years out of college and living on my own far from family, but I enjoy the freedom. I'll get there. [​IMG]
    Very nice, where is this at?

20. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

my mother grew up there, and my brother moved their for university and stayed. they love it. I think that it seems like a very livable place. certainly the cost of living is much cheaper than places I have lived.