• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
designers.jpg
1961 Playboy photo featuring left to right - George Nelson, Edward Wormley, Eero Saarinen, Harry Bertoia, Charles Eames and Jens Risom

Was this the centerfold?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Was this the centerfold?

why do you think it is so hard to find a clean copy these days?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Thomas
One of my favorite quotes from proponents of the Kansas City metro area is: "It's a very livable city." Like that's something to shoot for...being livable...
Honestly, it's not a bad thing... How many people can really afford to do all the things offered by a worldclass city on a regular basis? Even the shoe fairy picks and chooses his operas... As I get older, I find myself staying in more anyway. I just want more s.f. at a reasonable price so that i'm not cramped and I don't want a long commute. I don't give a **** about nightlife. If I can go to great restaurants a few times a year, even if I have to travel to them, I'm happy. Same for musicals/operas or whatever. For the rest, I'm content to watch on my HD 104" screen and in the not so distant future, my McIntosh/Revel audio system. Oh and I want an awesome kitchen with a 48" thermador range. Yes, I'm cocooning, but **** the rest of the world!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not exactly an "SF crib" unless Tokyo Slim wants to try to take over the lease, but I thought that this story from the NY Times was worth posting here. Essentially, there's a family living in a two-story, pyramid-shaped apartment at the top of the Smith Tower in Seattle: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/21/ga...me&ref=general The place looks pretty damned cool - views to die for, including a small "lighthouse" right at the top of the structure, reached by a vertical tunnel. Here are some photos to accompany the article: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...n/21WHOss.html

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That place is absolutely incredible.

I fear I would find its occupants insufferable, however.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
That place is absolutely incredible.
+1
Originally Posted by Douglas
I fear I would find its occupants insufferable, however.
huh?
confused.gif

Steve Thomas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Animal Thug
Where to kop?

The painting was done by a great friend of mine. His name is Spike Palmer. Not only is he an accomplished fine artist, he's also one hell of a tattoo artist. He's working in Portland now. He did a collection of Universal Studios monster portraits on my right leg. I'm sporting Frankenstein's monster, the Bride, Dracula, Wolfman, Mr. Hyde, the Invisible Man, the Creature From The Black Lagoon, and the Mummy...all done by Spike.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
^^^^^

Vag seems high, no?

your apartment would be at least a solid $2,000 in NYC, or $3,000+ (conservative) for an area like Chelsea.

laugh.gif
High ceilings, exposed brick, many square feet...

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not my crib, but if I were staying in NJ I would like it to be mine.

In 1961 Architectural Record listed this house, designed and built by the architect Jules Gregory as his own residence, as one of America's "10 Best Houses." The undulating appearance of its roofline is a result of its double conoid design "” something that from a distance gives the impression of enormous wings.

The house, on lightly wooded land, was built with natural materials, like fieldstone from the property and Pacific Northwest fir and pine. Thanks to the enormous sheets of glass that serve as windows and walls, the natural surroundings are visible from every room. Most of the interior walls are not full height, so the flowing fir ceiling appears to float above the rooms.

The house has a living area and an adjacent sunken conversation area with stone walls and a fireplace. All of the lighting and furniture in the home was designed by George Nakashima; it is available at a separate cost.
321285103799.jpg
21285187622.jpg

51285187623.jpg
81285187624.jpg

111285187625.jpg

171285187627.jpg
291285187634.jpg

lefty

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hardly dare post in this thread, but I'm actually quite pleased with how my new shoebox is turning out. It's not quite finished yet, but nearly.

Living space (with just enough book space):

DSC01629.jpg
DSC01638.jpg
DSC01641.jpg
DSC01620.jpg

Peeping into the world's smallest bedroom:

DSC01645.jpg
DSC01642.jpg

Which is conveniently located for the world's smallest kitchen:

DSC01622.jpg
DSC01623.jpg
DSC01649.jpg

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Stylish pad, Obs. Perfect for one or a couple. Right in Amsterdam?
Thanks. I've actually moved to the historic centre of beautiful Haarlem (just west of Amsterdam). The apartment has a terrific location.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Rambo
Have to say, never seen a stove top with just two burners on it. Is there an oven? I guess you don't cook much.
You're right in saying I don't cook much, though I did manage to rustle up a steak dinner for 3 the other night using just what you see there. The microwave is a combi with a built-in convection oven.

Designing the kitchen was a challenge (though nothing compared to the reconstruction work that preparing the space required) - almost every component had to be reduced-width to fit in what I wanted. I'm very happy with the result though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads