1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

"SF approved"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sander, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Well-Known Member

Brilliantly put :nodding:

2. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Even if there is an 'SF Approved' look -- and I can't begin to say what that would be as I haven't a clue what is and isn't approved -- I can't think of any two people here who dress alike. So if there is a 'look' ... it seems to allow for a nice diversity.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  3. Reevolving

Reevolving Well-Known Member

So a guy with all his jacket buttons fastened b/c he doesn't know any better (ie: Hasn''t gone to some internet forum to read the rules) somehow looks different than a guy with all his jacket buttons fastened b/c he is some seasoned dandy who is now breaking the rules? LOL. Keep telling yourself that, you compliant sheep. There is one way to dress here, and if you disagree, then start wearing the stuff in my list, or STFU.

4. TheTukker

TheTukker Well-Known Member

Many thanks to RE for illustrating the difference in quality between his posts here and posts from people like SM.

5. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

My god, are you really this stupid? Maybe if you try reading my post another three or four times you might understand what I'm actually saying.

Most jackets will look terrible with both buttons done up, regardless of who is wearing it. Just the more experienced person knows enough to notice in the rare occasions where the jacket is cut such that it can be done without looking bad. This does not apply to 99% of the suits or sportcoats that the average person will be wearing though.

6. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

7. plei89

plei89 Well-Known Member

Nice, found this quite entertaining!

8. Reevolving

Are you really that stupid to actually believe the bullshit you're spewing? I know exactly what you're trying to convey. It's just a load of nonsense. Just embrace that fact that you're SF approved, and have worked very hard to dress exactly to specification without any violations of code.

Well, that's your SF approved opinion. Not everyone else thinks mimicking a dead overweight King Edward VII makes any sense. If you could think for yourself, maybe you'd see how sloppy and crooked it looks to leave the bottom button open. If you grew up in the woods, and wore your first suit with no influence, do you really think you'd leave your button unfastened b/c it looked good? LOL. Good god, surely you can't be this stupid, you brainwashed AF approved sheep.

9. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Well-Known Member

Why do you come here half the time insulting everything about this place but every non insulting post is about you trying every way you can to attain the sf approved look? Are you bi polar?

10. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

I'm very close to putting Reevolving under my protection again.

11. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Really?

When I have over-indulged at dinner I have been known to do this. Gives me a better line.

The entire point of the forum Reev, is to preserve, keep alive and pass on all the skills which the world tries to take away from us;
    you know, those silly little things like enjoying aggreable conversation with others, living and dressing well and enjoying life.

Most people never reach their potential. Most people aspire to nothing and are content to cry without trying to improve themselves.
    This forum and others like it do so much to impart wisdom and useful skills to help all who seek it. Have we not?

I freely admit to this deed but then I came here and learned the err of my ways.

I do, happily. I also own and enjoy Hugo Boss shirts, pants, belts, shoes, sport coats, peacoat & topcoat and Styleforum graciously still lets me stay here.

Not for 10 years now.

I do wear both Bostonian and Cole Haan shoes from when the names meant something more than they do today.

I want to hate leather soled shoes. I try to hate leather soled shoes but the love and will of Styleforum is too strong.

Only in secret ofcourse.

I think my own tie dimples look stupid, does that count?

I do and I know I have so much to learn.

You mean the ones that are so comfortable it's like walking on marshmallows?

Only in cottage country.

If that were true there would be only one photo in the WAYWRN thread with everyones name on it every day.

You're still here, aren't you? Why would anyone want to laugh at you only once when they can laugh at you every day.

No, it is only the beginning.

This is true and acceptance is the first step. It is good that you see more clearly now.

Your perceptions of the forum seem to be of the rich brow-beating the poor. If so, this would be an incorrect conclusion on your part.
    'SF Approved' is an affectionate forum idiom. Nothing more. If you didn't know that before, then you know it now.
    When a person in the offline world compares him / her self to others and feels inferior in their dress and wants to improve their look, they come here or to forums such as this one.
    Once here they find that there are others already here. Among them is a cross-reference of people who are at different levels of expertise in their own sartorial development.
    The person who imparts wisdom to another here is doing so out of the kindness of their heart, their own enjoyment of clothing and to 'pass the torch' along to ensure the skills of better dressing are not lost, be it in theory or practice.
    The hosts and moderators have graciously provided this forum to all and have even protected freedom of speech to state ones viewpoints.
    Qute honestly I don't understand why you stay and spout when you seem to gain no enjoyment from being here.
    Please feel free to create your own clothing forum and please do let us know when it is ready. The outcome should be quite interesting.
    In fact why not start a new thread asking for suggestions on what to call your new forum.

1 person likes this.
  12. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Which country?

Why Hugo Boss in particular? Nazi involvement?

Yup, and they're practical for my environment, leather soled shoes are not, except maybe in summer.

Only in the gym.

13. lysandar

lysandar Well-Known Member

With sufficient critical mass, any clothing forum will invariably generate an internally-approved look. That being said, I generally quite like the SF-approved direction. I think it's tasteful, more so than most "approved" looks.

14. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

The power of StyleForvm compels you!...The power of StyleForvm compels you!...The power of StyleForvm compels you!...The power of StyleForvm compels you!...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  15. Jeff Costello

Jeff Costello Well-Known Member

After reading countless threads on this board, I've started moving gradually towards a "SF approved" style since about two years ago. I have a very low budget to work with, and much of my emphasis is on casual wear, although I did buy a suit half a year ago from Land's End.

16. Reevolving

I am completely SF approved. But I can admit and embrace it, unlike some of the hypocrites here who think they are rugged individualists, when they are doing nothing but conforming to a very specific SF approved criteria. I am very happy to report that I am in full compliance of the SF sartorial algorithm. Leather soled shell cordovan, Mabitex pants, slim fit dress shirts, and no pizza explosion ties.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  17. acridsheep

acridsheep Well-Known Member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

Yes, clearly you embrace this place.

18. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

If the bottom button is cut exactly vertically aligned with the top button along the center-front, then feel free to button it if you wish, it's not to my personal taste but it shouldn't look too bad. On the other hand, buttoning the bottom button on a coat which is cut with that button offset back from the center-front line will cause ugly distortion of the fronts and bowing of the lapels, and there is absolutely no way anyone can argue that it looks good.

I am sorry that you are too much of an idiot to be able to understand the simple distinction between these two different types of cut.

19. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

You really think knowing not to button the bottom button on a jacket is some arcane knowledge only to be found on the Internet? IRL, I have seen hundreds of men in suits and sport jackets every work day for the last 30 years. Perhaps one in fifty buttons the bottom button on their jackets. We call these people "police officers". :nodding:

20. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member