• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Serious Crimes Against CM

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm not sure why you keep stretching to post, and I don't know what you are quoting, but here is the artisan:
“It’s Mr. Cleverley’s shape that defines us,” says George Glasgow, of the unique chiseled toe designed by the founder of G. J. Cleverley & Co., the company he now owns. “He,” says Glasgow, who apprenticed with Cleverley for ten years before the master shoemaker’s death in 1993, “used to describe it as the suspiciously square toe.”

Look, if you're going to be a dick and make personal attacks, at least take the time to read the whole American Express travel magazine :lol: article.

http://www.departures.com/articles/cleverley-shoes-to-come-to-america

““It’s Mr. Cleverley’s shape that defines us,” says George Glasgow, of the unique chiseled toe designed by the founder of G. J. Cleverley & Co., the company he now owns. “He,” says Glasgow, who apprenticed with Cleverley for ten years before the master shoemaker’s death in 1993, “used to describe it as the suspiciously square toe.” That sleek, ever so slightly elongated shape has become a kind of secret sign, instantly recognizable to people in the know, that the wearer was part of the club.

Proves my point. This is not the same kind of square as KC shoe.

It's mainly are chisel toe with a slightly more perpendicular angle at the front. A far cry from a KC shoe.

For all intents and purposes, Cleverley is a chisel toe

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
isnt french cuffs without a tie considered bad too?

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Crimes against Caustic Man?
biggrin.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

isnt french cuffs without a tie considered bad too?

Funny that you bring that up because I was just pondering that "rule" this morning as I was getting dressed. Most people would strongly agree. And, in general I would too. However, I have seen some exceptions, the best being a solid color, cutaway collar, with simple silk knots worn under a solid cardigan or pull over. It can have a relaxed, elegant look.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
a) This seems like a good idea
b) This thread should serve as a discussion thread. After Unbel is happy with some consensus reached, he can create a second thread for reference.

If we really want to complicate things (i.e. make things more fun), we can have this thread to establish what the crimes are, a second thread dedicated to explaining why they are crimes, and then the final thread will involve presenting the best explanations for each crime (with credit give to the submitting member).

I don't think this particular thread will be able to serve Unbel's intended purpose as new folks will have to wade through pages of discussion.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just to add to the discussion, I don't think the black suit should be on the list for the simple fact that they aren't wrong, they are simply used in the wrong context by almost everyone who owns one. Perhaps it's not so much a mistake as it is a confusion on how to use it.

Stephanduq

Reaction score
What is wrong with the black suit? From a design POV, it creates a defined silhouette in any location, and a consistent look under any light circumstance. The contrast in colors with most skin-tones tend to pull the focus the right way. If there is something to blame the black suit for, it would be that it is too easy.

So the reasoning must be defined by culture then?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Describe the difference to me please.
If you can't see the difference, no amount of description by someone else will help you see the difference.
But we should try for the sake of others that might see the difference.

Square toes are ugly because they end so abruptly. Because chisel toes taper so much, this is less of an issue (less abrupt and smaller flat edge).

red81

Reaction score
my understanding why square toe shoes are no bueno:

1. usually cheap
2. usually made from cheaper leather that, combined with the shoe shape itself, makes for awful aging
3. it's a simple design (rectangle) that takes minimal design knowledge and crafting skill

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nope. They are just ugly. While everything else may be true, that isn't why they are awful. There isn't anything wrong with simplicity, and if a squared toe shoe were made by Alden using the finest leathers, it would still be terrible.

They just give the impression of a shoe unfinished.

G

Griffindork

It's mainly are chisel toe with a slightly more perpendicular angle at the front. A far cry from a KC shoe.

I'm not sure what that means. I think the Gucci shoes you posted above are ugly and square. But calling them square-toed misses the point of why they are ugly. They are not just square-toed, they are literally square throughout. And I think the common thread between the Gucci and the Kenneth Cole is the length of the toe line: it is too long for my taste. I think that Cleverley shoes are generally square toed in that toe line is almost straight. When people refer to the chiseling, I think they refer to a slight rounding off of that straight line, and I think they are also referring to the slope of the top of the shoe as it meets the toe box. Here is an extreme example of a Cleverley toe that I would call square. Is it ugly?

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Griffindork

If you can't see the difference, no amount of description by someone else will help you see the difference.

Yeah, I can see the difference between the shoes. And I think the Kenneth Cole shoes are ugly and the Cleverley are beautiful. But I wouldn't look at the two and say "all square toe shoes are ugly."

Last edited by a moderator:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads