1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

semi-upscale casual for an older professional

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by drblind, Apr 23, 2016.

1. koolhistorian

koolhistorian Well-Known Member

Here are some of my €2 cents - disclaimer I am from Europe, and in a very niche academia (think government school) so it tends to be super formal, compared to other kinds of academic institutions.
    First step - identify your needs (aside the fact that you need a wardrobe vamp up) - teaching, conferences, travel, other activities (committees, fund raisers, alumni relations).
    Second step - see in activities what kind of outfit can overlap - teaching with conferences and travel, etc.
    Third step - build capsules i.e. One sport coat that will go with 3 pairs of pants to create 3 levels of formality looks - e.g. a dark blue donegal tweed jacket with mid gray flannels, plus cord, plus jeans. Attached to each outfit 2 shirts, 2 ties, one pair of shoes.
    Fourth step - do your research - start with Style Forum (see the coherent combinations thread), go tumblr, forget Pitti.
    Fifth step - burn the sandals (your choice of event - public, family or private).
    Sixth step - start building look books if you need a visualization.
    Seventh step - compute a budget.
    Eight step - establish priorities.
    Ninth step - start operations.
    Shoes and footwear are deal breakers - get measured, it is extremely important for comfort. A well fitting Goodyear shoe is more comfortable than a sandal. As a model, monkstrap shoes are quite versatile if you are in an informal environment - you can wear them with almost everything. Search for 100% cotton socks, or better in very hot weather 100% linen.
    Visit your barbershop regularly, I've seen great outfits ruined by scruffy looks.
    Think seasons- I remember seeing the editor of an ultra important review nearly dying of heat stroke because he donned a tweed jacket on 40+ degrees Celsius, so have also that in mind.
    So, good luck and Godspeed:)