1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Seiko Opinions Daily Beater Watch

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kali77, Nov 10, 2007.

1. breakz

breakz Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks greek.

Okay, everyone else can rail on me for a bit now. [​IMG]

2. overdog

overdog Well-Known Member

I bought the Seiko military watch as well and am waiting for it to arrive. Not knowing too much about watches myself, I did some research. I found out that Seiko "Automatic" watches are not the same as Seiko "Kinetics." Seiko Automatics are mechanical watches that use your hand motions to power the movement. If left unworn, they will only run a couple of days before stopping. Seiko Kinetics are actually quartz watches that can store "kinetic" energy in a capacitor. When fully charged, it has enough energy to keep the watch going for 6 months without wearing. The downside is that the capacitor needs to be replaced every few years. I have a Seiko Kinetic that is almost 10 years old, and watch shops are quoting me about $75 to change the capacitor.

On Seiko Monsters, what is so great about them? Are they just very accurate and durable or something? They just look big and clunky to me. Sounds like the Allen Edmonds equivalent for watches.

3. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

On Seiko Monsters, what is so great about them? Are they just very accurate and durable or something? They just look big and clunky to me. Sounds like the Allen Edmonds equivalent for watches.

Not a bad analogy actually. As I already said 1,433,324 times in this very thread, the Monster is nowhere near as "big and clunky" IRL, and apparently so are the AE Park Avenues, if one can learn anything from Sator's recent pictorial comparison thread.

Trust me, just try it on in person (the Orange Monster in particular), and you'll fall in love. [​IMG]

4. appolyon

appolyon Well-Known Member

Quick question re Seiko's I have an old Actua 5, Japanese from the 70s, that I recently had serviced. It seems to me that the watch winds down very quickly ... does anyone know what the power reserve is on these?

5. visionology

visionology Well-Known Member

The monster is what it is because it's one of the greatest bang for the buck watches out there. It has a bracelet with solid links adn a fold over clasp with push button release that feels like it belongs on a much more expensive watch. You are also getting a decent automatic movement and a good looking face.

The only downsides are that it doesn't have a Sapphire crystal and it is non-hacking which haven't affected me at all and isn't something I expect necessarily at this pricepoint.

It's one of those watches where you have to put it in your hand and you'll say to yourself, "this thing really costs only a little more than a fossil watch?".

6. stickonatree

stickonatree Well-Known Member

so what's the average going price of an orange monster now? i've searched around and it seems to be going at about $150-180 new, is that right?

7. unrated

unrated Well-Known Member

Just got my Black Monster in the mail and it is stunning! Great casual watch for summer especially. I had the band altered at Macy*s and the dude was drooling over it as well. He couldn't believe I got it for less than $400.

Welcome to the club. I've been an owner for 5 months now and I still appreciate the craftsmanship of this watch every moment I check the time.

8. Singular

Singular Well-Known Member

The Monster is not my cup of tea - I think it's because I'm a bit too conservative about sport watches sometimes (the Monster's design looks a bit too wacky for me - we never bonded...). I'd pick the SKX007 any time instead of the Monster, or if you'd like to add a bit the Sumo.

/M, MarineMaster and 6309 owner

9. rezzor

rezzor Well-Known Member

so what's the average going price of an orange monster now? i've searched around and it seems to be going at about $150-180 new, is that right?
    I just did a search too and the cheapest I found was 159 shipped from amazon. I am going to wait until it goes 20% off again at amazon.

10. amiestilo

amiestilo Active Member

I picked up a Black Monster recently and have since become a great fan. What a great watch! At first I thought it looked a bit big, but the more I wear it, the more I love the look. Incredible craftsmanship for the money. I started scuba diving a few years back which is a plus, since it is after all a dive watch. If I find an Orange Monster at the right price I'll pick one of those up as well.

I also bought a Seiko Military. Very nice detailing on this little automatic. Great everyday watch, although I wish the green mesh band was a bit wider, but maybe I just got used to the look of the Monster! I was thinking the Military might work with a leather band, but it looks great as is.

11. visionology

I've been trying to find a Seiko Classic Alpinist for a while now too, just love this watch. It's a bit smaller but has a dressier edge to it and I love the grey face rather than black. Also has a good quality movement and solid bracelet. [​IMG] Another I was looking at was the leather band Seiko Spirit. Can get it in a white or black face and both look equally good. Auto 23J w/ hacking and has a sapphire crystal and see through case back. [​IMG]

12. whacked

^ The Alpinist is on my wish list as well. I like SARB017 (the green dial version) best:
    [​IMG]

But the one in this picture I just found is sick:
    [​IMG]

13. Keith S.

Keith S. Member

Hey everyone, since this seems to be the place for Seiko watch discussion, i was wondering if anyone could just give me an opinion on something. I really like this watch, and this seems to be the only place i can find it with the black face, rather than the brown, which is what i want. What I'm wondering is if anyone has any knowledge of this particular site or if it looks legit.

http://www.fashion-jewelry-watches-o...mp;language=en

Thanks in advance.

14. Mustapha

Mustapha Well-Known Member

Something unmentioned in this thread is the durability of Seiko movements. I've had ownership experience of mechanical and quartz versions since buying my first Seiko in the 70's and I have to say that the reliability is outstanding. They have created basically what are miniature perpetual motion machines as far as I am concerned.

-Moose

15. visionology

But the one in this picture I just found is sick: [​IMG]
    What is this one? I don't remember seeing this one before. Perhaps a Grand Seiko? If so it's probably like $1200. Whatever it is, it's very nice.

16. whacked

I found it on a Spanish watch forum through Google, owner said it's a Seiko Brightz Manual. Couldn't find the exact model elsewhere, but the Seiko Brightz line, with retail price anywhere from 80,000 to 250,000YEN, contains both solar atomic (a la Citizen Eco-drive) and auto watches. Confusing, I know. [​IMG]

17. in_motion

in_motion Member

Thanks to this thread I bought my first Seiko three months ago. I was so impressed with its price and quality I bought two more [​IMG] I got the Seiko 5 sports first to be a daily workhorse at the office [​IMG] I've always wanted a simple white faced watch so I got this, I plan to replace the straps with black leather with white stitching: [​IMG] I couldn't resist and got another one. a Seiko 5 military in green, by far my favourite watch. It gets worn the most because I love the face and the comfort factor [​IMG]

18. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

Thanks to this thread I bought my first Seiko three months ago. I was so impressed with its price and quality I bought two more [​IMG]

I got the Seiko 5 sports first to be a daily workhorse at the office

[​IMG]

I've always wanted a simple white faced watch so I got this, I plan to replace the straps with black leather with white stitching:

[​IMG]

I couldn't resist and got another one. a Seiko 5 military in green, by far my favourite watch.
    It gets worn the most because I love the face and the comfort factor

[​IMG]

I feel the need to assist in bumping this (old) thread. I have a Seiko 5 Military in blue, and just love it. For $60, this is a great beater and since I'm new to watches, is definitely at a desirable price-point. I am planning to do the exact same thing - probably get a Monster on a rubber strap, and then a simple Seiko 5 with a leather band to wear with a suit.

19. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

Paging through this thread, it seems as if a lot of people recommend the Seiko 5 series as an everyday watch. I haven't bought a new watch in years; I have dress watch I wear to formal occasions and a sport watch I wear while rowing, hiking, and riding my bike. Both have lasted me for years and I have no complaints.

I am looking for something to wear casually, with jeans and button-downs. I don't care for functions other than the date, and I am looking for a canvas or ribbon strap, 37-to-43 mm casing. Preferably automatic, but I have no objection to battery-operated. I'm looking to keep the price under $100.

A menswear blog I read recommended buying a Timex Easy Reader or Weekender and a series of inexpensive straps in different colors, and changing the bands to compliment whatever I'm wearing that day. Certainly, you can't beat Timex's prices, but if they're really junk, or won't last more than a year or so, then I'd rather not waste my time with them.

How much better-made are the inexpensive Seikos (say, a 5 series watch like the one shown below) compared to Timexes? I realize the price difference isn't more than $30, but are they worth twice as much as a Timex?

[​IMG]

20. ajc2162

ajc2162 Well-Known Member

Hi BB. I don't know if you looked at the date; but you've posted to a thread that has been dormant for over five years. So I'm not sure whether you'll get a response.

However, since I was surfing, maybe you'll allow me to offer my comments on your Timex question.

I'm not sure what leads you to suppose Timex is junk - they're quite OK and a pretty solid brand. They offer a two year guarantee; when many stop at one year.

For some time, I've been wanting a more casual style of watch (less of a dress watch) to wear with jeans and chinos. I've been considering Timex in that context for a similar period of time; and finally decided that I really liked their style.

I've just received my on-line order from Watch Shop UK of a Timex Originals Men's Dive Style Watch (blue face) and a Timex Originals Men's Indiglo Weekender Watch (off-white face).

I'm very happy with them and they look just as nice as I hoped.

Watches are such subjective things aren't they? There are so many that make me drool; but I only have one wrist; so head must constantly battle heart. So don't worry about looking for a value for money statistical correlation (ie: your Seiko versus Timex price quandary). If you like it, then that's what matters - go for it if it will make you happy.

One watch that is rather under-rated or a least seems to fly under the radar is Wenger. A lovely watch that straddles dress and casual wear rather nicely.

Hope this helps.